Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2018, 08:52 PM   #1

1998 Pace Arrow leveling jacks.

So when I bought my coach, the lady that we bought it from said that the leveling jacks didn't work, and that the hydraulic pump needed to be replaced. So I had been doing some research on the ones used in the '98 Pace Arrow. I had found this manual on the web that explains the different types of systems used in rigs 2002 and up and gives full exploded view pictures with parts lists for all of them. Even though mine is a '98, I am sure some things are similar.

Due to some work I recently did om my BCC for another issue I was working on, I decided my next step was to just test the switches on my panel, and from there look at the pump and it's control valves. This is the Power Gear panel on my rig.

When I push the buttons with the ignition key in the on position, I can hear relays clicking which I assumed were the relays to control the individual jack control valves. I did not see any indicator lights on the panel other than the LED to indicate whether I had it on or off. I figured next I would have to find the pump and it's wiring to check it's condition. What I found was not good. The first pic is the side of the fluid reservoir with what I assume is the fluid level sensor with the black wire and connector, and the wiring harness for that setup.

The next pic is shooting the camera up from the bottom to look at the valves and I see this.

I am assuming that the right two posts up top at one time had coils attached like the on on the top left post. The bottom valve control looks different than the top 3, so I'll have to figure out what that one is for. My main question is can this setup be salvaged, or would I need to buy a whole new pump assembly? If it is repairable, what parts should be replaced? Is there a rebuild kit that you can buy for these? I would obviously need the 3 new valve assemblies. The wiring to it I am sure I can figure out with the help of someone running the control panel while I test with a volt meter. I would assume that you just switch 12 volts on a valve to make it open, so if the wiring is good up to the control panel I should be able to figure out what's what and label it.
dbemowsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2018, 06:08 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
It looks bad, but it should clean up and be repairable.

The wiring harness looks reasonably intact. Your diagrams have wire colors and this should all be easily traceable.

It looks like you're missing several of the valve solenoids. These can be bought. You have one solenoid that you can test the other valves with, so you can at least disassemble, clean and re-assemble and see if things work before investing a lot of time or money and then hitting a dead end.

I'd remove the unit and get it up on the bench where you can run and test it.

I put a new bearing in my pump motor last years, I have a lot of photos that might help you with disassembly.

Leveler pump sounds like a food blender full of marbles – 1999 Southwind 35S

The top three are for the down (and up) (front, right rear, left rear) The bottom one is for the retract, It dumps the high pressure fluid back into the tank.

When you extend, the pump runs and the corresponding jack valve(s) open to send the fluid out to the jack.

When you retract, the pump doesn't run. The jack valves open and also the dump valve opens to dump jack fluid back into the tank. The jacks are retracted by their springs.

I seen a thread in the past or or two where someone found a reasonably inexpensive replacement for the solenoids.

You may want to remove the valves and see what they look like. All these are rebuildable.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:08 AM   #3

Waiter21, Many thanks for the encouraging post. I am a computer and electronics technician and a very mechanically handy person, so I am sure this is something that I can tackle. Something that confuses me on this is that it looks like there are only 3 main valves, though the lower one could be a fourth, but it doesn't look like the top 3. If there are only 3 main valves, how is it that there are four jacks to control? The lower one I thought might be the pump motor control solenoid, but I could be wrong. The service diagrams I found only go back to 2002 models, so I don't have an exact diagram for my setup. The ones in the diagrams that I have all seem to have vertically mounted control solenoids, but mine are horizontally mounted. I'll do some more looking to see if I can find a manual for my setup. One other question I have, how easy is it to get the assembly off the frame. The mounting bolts don't seem to be visible where I am looking. Being that the harness wires are all disconnected, I would think that it would be just unscrewing the main bolts and dropping it. In your setup it looks like there is a large positive battery cable also, so I would assume I would need to disconnect that too.

Thanks again for the help
Old 10-28-2018, 01:31 PM   #4

Looks like this might be the correct manual:
https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/..._1_AUG97_S.pdf

A question I have though. Are the valves for these interchangeable between models?
Old 10-28-2018, 01:34 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have some earlier model maintenance manuals on my site.

Take a look at this one on page 6. Page 11 shows the valve assembly parts.

http://1999southwind.com/DOWNLOAD/PG...ice_manual.pdf

All four solenoid coils are the same, but the valves they drive are different....

The three top valves control fluid to the three individual legs (front, rear left rear right) These three valves connect the internal manifold to each of the individual jacks.

The bottom valve is the dump valve. It dumps the internal manifold back to the tank.

As for mounting. ????? I see a mount bracket in the parts drawings. See if yours has this bracket.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbemowsk View Post
If there are only 3 main valves, how is it that there are four jacks to control?
The two front jacks are plumbed in parallel, and will share the load equally while the independent rear jacks level the unit side to side. The front jacks are on the hydraulic equivalent of a walking beam or equalizer, and when the rears level the unit side to side, one front will retract while the other front extends due to fluid being able to freely flow between them but not back to the reservoir (unless the valve opens, of course). The fronts act like one jack in the middle.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:03 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks like we were posing at the same time and you found the correct manual..

The valves may be interchangeable. BUT the valves used for the legs and the valve used for dump are not interchangeable.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KanzKran View Post
The two front jacks are plumbed in parallel, and will share the load equally while the independent rear jacks level the unit side to side. The front jacks are on the hydraulic equivalent of a walking beam or equalizer, and when the rears level the unit side to side, one front will retract while the other front extends due to fluid being able to freely flow between them but not back to the reservoir (unless the valve opens, of course). The fronts act like one jack in the middle.
KanzKran thanks for the post, but I have 4 jacks. A front and a rear, and then a left and a right. As far as I can tell, I do not have two front jacks as you mentioned that would be plumbed in parallel. My single front jack is in the center under the hood.

Tags
ace, jacks, leveling, leveling jacks, pace arrow