RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #1

2 Battery disconnect switches on panel inside entry door

Has anyone put covers over these 2 switches? I am considering putting a flip up safety switch over these similar to what we use on race cars like the one pictured.

Does anyone have a reason you would not want to cover these to keep from accidentally turning them off.

This is what i accidentally did on the first day we had it at home and do not want to repeat this event.

These are very simple, flip up the red cover to access switch. Just stops the accidental brain fart....
Attached Images

MEWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2018, 09:09 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If putting covers over the switches makes you feel good, go for it. The switches should only be intentionally turned off so they could prevent accidents if covered

Old 10-14-2018, 10:30 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEWright View Post
...Does anyone have a reason you would not want to cover these to keep from accidentally turning them off.....
Our disconnect switches are above the entry door. I've got to try really, really hard, actually stand on my tip toes & lean over the step well to turn them off. Not going to "accidentally" happen with me.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:33 PM   #4
Alaskan Member

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ours are in a cabinet over the door, way out of the way.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:42 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If putting the switch guard makes you feel good, go for it. However, now that you have accidentally tripped a switch, I doubt you will do it again. Even if you do, you know what to check if 12V power is not working in the coach.
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:01 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
You won't like those switch covers. Unless the ones that I use are unique, they only cover the switch when it is off, must be open for it to be on and if you close the cover accidentally it will turn the switch off. Much easier to do that accidentally as they stick up quite a bit. You can modify the cover but then it will turn the switch on when closed.

In addition, the switches on my old Fleetwood were DPDT momentary rockers. You won't find covers like you have shown for them.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
You won't like those switch covers. Unless the ones that I use are unique, they only cover the switch when it is off, must be open for it to be on and if you close the cover accidentally it will turn the switch off. Much easier to do that accidentally as they stick up quite a bit. You can modify the cover but then it will turn the switch on when closed.

In addition, the switches on my old Fleetwood were DPDT momentary rockers. You won't find covers like you have shown for them.
Thanks for the input. You are correct on certain covers. The ones I am actually looking at do not require the switch to be in a certain position, it covers both open and closed (on/off).

If i cannot find the cover that works with the factory switch I will make a plastic plate cover and hing it myself. I have hit that switch 2 times now leaving the coach reaching in the turn exterior light off.
Old 10-28-2018, 12:13 AM   #8

The switches in our '95 UWB are on the left side of the doorway, on the backside of the cabinet above the passenger seat. I could'nt accidently hit those if I tried.
Mr Lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:01 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddler1954 View Post
If putting the switch guard makes you feel good, go for it. However, now that you have accidentally tripped a switch, I doubt you will do it again. Even if you do, you know what to check if 12V power is not working in the coach.
This.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 02:46 AM   #10

The disconnect switches on my 2005 Bounder are above the entry door and pretty much out of the way. I forgot at one point to disconnect and after the MH sat for a few weeks the batteries were dead. Since then I've been pretty attentive about it. I had to put a sticker under the switches to help me remember which way the switches needed to be rocked to disconnect. Pathetic but true.
Buck Wheat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:37 PM   #11

Iím going to do something on the water heater/microwave switch. My lovely wife has a brain cramp when not to use it when we are empty and or winterized. Went out tonight to look for some thing, sure enough switch on. Element job in the spring
Old 11-04-2018, 04:24 PM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
My switches are low right beside the passenger seat near the door.

We often store the small container of "doggy" bags there or sometimes a leash.
In order to prevent accidental tripping of the switches I put a "Bar" across both switches. It is just a metal piece bent into a long "U" shape and bolted into the wood on each end. You can still reach behind it and change the switch positions as needed. It does however, prevent anything/anyone from accidentally changing the position one of those switches. I put it in four years ago and have had no issues.
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale70 View Post
My switches are low right beside the passenger seat near the door.

We often store the small container of "doggy" bags there or sometimes a leash.
In order to prevent accidental tripping of the switches I put a "Bar" across both switches. It is just a metal piece bent into a long "U" shape and bolted into the wood on each end. You can still reach behind it and change the switch positions as needed. It does however, prevent anything/anyone from accidentally changing the position one of those switches. I put it in four years ago and have had no issues.
That is a great suggestion. I could use a drawer pull. Long and wide enough to protect, nice enough that my wife will like it and functional. All I need is something to keep them from getting accidentally tripped. Mine are low also.

Thank you for the suggestion.
Old 11-05-2018, 01:13 PM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
Good luck Michael -- sounds like your answer will work also.

thx Dale

Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery disconnect, door, entry door, panel, switch