RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2015, 06:43 PM   #15

Tonight I covered the same ground starting at the intellect converter.
To answer your questions
Shore power off battery off no DC
Shore on battery off have DC
Shore off battery on have DC
Shore on battery on have DC same voltage as converter.
Found the converter has a battery wizard. Push button and indicator light. Converter has four different modes, maintenance approx 13 volts, charge approx 14.2, automatic cycles modes as it determines need. That is why I'd measure 14 volts then go somewhere else and get 13. Cycling the modes manually with the button and converter voltage shows up on the house battery. Good ! But not on the starting battery, bad !. Pushing the aux start button on the dash and the voltage shows up on the starting battery. Full circle, chassis battery doesn't charge on shore power, house does. Both charge on engine alternator. Aux start relay parallels the batteries. Back where we started with a lot more understanding. New chassis relay, someone's been here before and didn't fix it.
Not sure where to go from here but dealer and bank 😩

Rick_NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2015, 08:42 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rick, I've read, and re-read, your last reply.
All I can add is, the manual says that your coach should charge both house and chassis batteries from the converter and/or the alternator.

The circuits that control that charging, from the converter, and the path that the charging takes, are NOT dependent on the chassis battery disconnect solenoid being ON or OFF. That replaced solenoid is not your problem.

The problem seems to be that the circuit, that is supposed to sense that the house batteries are being charged by the converter to a level above 13.2V, is NOT providing the signal to close the isolator/aux start solenoid.

I'm not sure how that circuit is packaged in your system, but here is a link to a drawing that explains the logic better than I have so far.

I wouldn't head to the shop or the bank just yet. My BCC has failed with the exact symptoms that you have and I solved the problem with the installation of an Intellitec BIRD for less that $60. If we can't locate the failure in your unit, I can explain how I did it.

BTW - even if that circuit was working as designed, it would have to keep that voltage above 13.2, in maintenance node, to keep the solenoid closed and charging to the chassis battery. Maybe the converted will need to be looked at too.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:02 PM   #17

Top left corner of your pic is the battery charge controller which is a version of the BIRD relay. it has 2 blue wires and a red wire. It may also have a black wire or it may chassis ground to the unit. one blue wire goes to each battery the red goes to the Aux start relay. When a blue wire reads above 13.2 or so it sends power to the Aux start relay which closes and charges the batteries. So when your driving and the alt goes above 13.2 it should close the relay and charge the house bat. Vise versa when on shore power. If you have over 13.2 on either blue wire and the relay is not closed the charge controller is bad.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:30 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
Top left corner of your pic is the battery charge controller which is a version of the BIRD relay. it has 2 blue wires and a red wire. It may also have a black wire or it may chassis ground to the unit. one blue wire goes to each battery the red goes to the Aux start relay. When a blue wire reads above 13.2 or so it sends power to the Aux start relay which closes and charges the batteries. So when your driving and the alt goes above 13.2 it should close the relay and charge the house bat. Vise versa when on shore power. If you have over 13.2 on either blue wire and the relay is not closed the charge controller is bad.
Here's your answer Rick, from someone who knew where that comparator circuit was located. Thanks for jumping in 1Mainiac.

Like I said, if you can't find that component available for purchase, the Intellitec BIRD is essentially the same circuit.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:40 AM   #19

Thank you both. The bird seems like a great solution. I'll check whatever components I can in that area.
Also trying to find the pcm code and obg2 connector for 5 star group buy. Nowhere to be found. Question, most of the fleetwood owners seem to have bounders. Was that the most popular? Where did fiesta fit in the lineup? I've had a few fleetwood trailers, some high end, Terry Taurus, some low, Yukon. Fiesta appears in the middle as the camper goes. Just curious.
Looking forward to getting past the issues and finally enjoying it. Thanks again
Old 05-12-2015, 03:22 PM   #20

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1431465517.961249.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	94103

The culprit?
As you can see, someone has cut and crimped new wires. (Perfect)
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1431465743.953765.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	94104
Old 05-13-2015, 08:05 PM   #21

Data sheet on charge delay

Ignition, ground and relay coil. Will not have time to get back to this until the weekend. Shouldn't be too difficult. Everyone's help has been invaluable in learning this circuit. Thanks again

One issue that leaps at you with this circuit, how does the aux start switch close the relay? The blue wire is the ignition sense, black ground and red drives the relay coil. Reviewing the wiring work (photo) raises suspicion as to what is really there. Hunting and pecking will tell. More later.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1453-intellitec-pdf-template-53-00629-120.pdf (516.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-19-2015, 02:20 PM   #22

The device in the top left corner is an "IRD", Isolator Relay Delay, I have just installed one in my own MH. It has not the ability to charge chassis bats when on shore power. Only one blue wire on this model means charging housebats when driving MH or if you connect the blue wire to house bats, charging chassis bats when on shore power.
If you want both possibilities you need a "Bird".

BR:Stefan
rviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:33 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by iking View Post
The device in the top left corner is an "IRD", Isolator Relay Delay, I have just installed one in my own MH. It has not the ability to charge chassis bats when on shore power. Only one blue wire on this model means charging housebats when driving MH or if you connect the blue wire to house bats, charging chassis bats when on shore power.
If you want both possibilities you need a "Bird".

BR:Stefan
rviking, that is understood. It's just that the owners manual for that coach states that both battery banks are charged when driving OR when attached to shore power. We were trying to figure out how that happens with only the IRD installed.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:24 PM   #24

Old Bounder, I dont think that is gonna happen with an IRD installed. Originally this coach might have had the ability of charging in "both ways", but it looks like some previous owner had problems with that and had an IRD installed instead.
Br:Stefan

rviking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, chassis, relays