Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2015, 07:40 AM   #1

2000 39Z DP, carry 20# propane bottles?

I was hoping to carry one or two 20 lb propane bottles and was thinking that carrying them in any of the enclosed basement storage compartments might not end well. However, in between and slightly below the "rear bumper" and the radiator there is a steel mesh cargo basket with a "don't block radiator" placard. Would that seem to be a safe place to carry these? I wasn't sure if engine heat back there might be excessive and I just emailed FW and understandably they won't commit

On my Winnebago instead of trying to carry a bottle, I used an "Extend-a-Stay" type hose connected to the MH system for grills, etc, but now would like to use a gazebo/screen room so the hose isn't practical.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2015, 08:02 AM   #2

You don't want the bottle in a non vented area, or near the engine heat.
Particularly if it's full.
I carry mine in my toad; held upright in a bin and secured to the floor; and remove it any time, I use the vehicle.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:03 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think the tanks are in any danger - they will handle a lot of heat and (at worst) bleed off through the tank safety vent if pressure gets excessively high. The thing you should be concerned about is blocking air flow through the radiator and reduced engine cooling as a result. You might not notice the difference until climbing a steep grade on a hot day and alarms start going off.

Did you know you can get 5# and 10# bottles that are smaller and easier to carry/store? Especially if you get the tall style rather than the pancake type. I have one each and carry in the same (vented) bay that has my big onboard LP tank. Home Depot sells this slim 11 lb-er.
Worthington Pro Grade 11 lb. Empty Propane Tank-281165 - The Home Depot
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:43 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies ....

My toads are a '91 Jetta (diesel of course) and '69 VW Bug, and I might have enough floor real estate, I'll check this evening, but I need a plan B for the times I don't pull a toad.

I used to have one of the smaller 10# bottles, but sticking to the standard 20# is attractive since I can drop by a tank exchange for a refill if need be.

The "propane bay" in mine mostly an access to the filler, filler vent, and shut off switch switch since the actual tank is between the frame rails about 5 or 10 feet further forward. There is also a small carpeted compartment area in there that has the BCC and inverter/charger/converter, but no room left over for a propane bottle.

The radiator basket is really tempting. It's sort of wasted storage space anyway since anything stored there is subject to weather and road spray. I haven't set a tank in there yet but I don't think it's tall enough to interfere with the airflow. But .... Blue Rhino does not recommend propane storage above 125 degrees presumably because of the venting.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:25 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, the tank may vent back there. Hard to say how hot it gets, and it may vary with the placement. Any diesel exhaust wafting up there while stopped at an intersection and you get to major heat in no time.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:07 PM   #6

Yeah, then I guess there's always engine runaway if it snorts enough vented propane

Thanks for the responses, guess I'll go back to the head scratch mode and think about it for a while and go back to my backup camera issue (and upcoming post).

Rick

Tags
propane