Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2013, 08:58 PM   #1

2000 Fleetwood Discovery dash vents not working

To make a long story short, I went to turn on the dash ac today, no air would come out. Ac worked fine last weekend, replaced both chassis batteries this past weekend and was going for a test run today, I cannot get any air to come out of the dash vents whatsoever. If I press the ac switch, the light no longer lights up either. We looked for fuses or relays that have anything to do with the blower and could not find anything. Freightliner was of no help as the say this is a manufacturers deal, Fleetwood is currently closed. I know I can run the generator but the dash air is plenty for me as I'm going down the road and would just rather run off of it when I'm driving. Any helpful hints on what to look for on this issue or a possible root cause to get me going in the correct direction?

Fleetwood Discovery
JMA1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #2

Sorry your here with problems .
Is the fan running at all ? and your just not getting air flow from the dash vents. I read a recent post with a link to finding a hidden fuse for the A/C system . I'll see if I can track it down. In the mean time can you look for a name on the heat housing , possible " Evans " outside near the heater hoses. Evans supplied a lot of the heater / A/c systems and I have a manual for my 99 that may be of some help.
If you have an Acme system there is a " Files " drop box in the dark blue bar , to the right of " User CP "above and " heating & cooling " has a PDF file that may help.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:22 AM   #3

Skip,

Thanks for the quick reply, when I switch it on to low, medium or high, I get nothing out of the vents, nothing out of defrost, nothing out of floor. Almost if the system is just inoperable. The thing that is throwing me for the loop the most is the fact that the A/C light does not come on when the button is pressed. I will take a look and see if I can find any markings, they sure didn't make it easy to get to anything under the dash. I did have a guy testing things with a volt meter last night and he is saying the blower has power to it. He also said that the blower is showing 8 ohms? I am no electrician so I am not familiar with this diagnosis, I just want to get the thing fixed.

Thank you for your help.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #4

I've never tested a blower motor for ohms myself, maybe just his way of saying it's not shorted out.
The brand name I'm talking about , would be on the outside of the firewall, near where the heater hoses enter the housing.
If there is power to the blower motor and it won't run, then your system may work on what's called a " low side driver ", that is the switches and resistors are in the ground wire of the motor to control on/off/speed.
But a brand name and a wiring diagram is the next step.

Just a thought, you replaced batteries , do you have any other coach or chassis systems that are not operating ?
Old 07-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #5

Everything else appears to be working, I spoke with Fleetwood today and they sent over a diagram. In looking at that and the symptoms, I believe it is the inline fuse that comes out of the heater/ac panel. I have looked and looked for a way to get to it, there seems to be no easy way. If I remove the radio from the dash I may be able to see in there a little better, it is an aftermarket radio and I'm guessing the dash would need to come of for this? I also thought that if I could remove the "kick panel" I may be able to get to it. It doesn't seem as if there is any easy way to remove either of these? Any help on either of these?
Old 07-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #6

I'll keep digging for the info on finding that inline fuse. The post had a link to a video showing the location, I thought I was still subscribed to the post but I may have dropped it when the problem was reported as fixed.
I've got to start writing these things down.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #7

Well they say go back to the last thing you did maybe you left off a wire on the battery replacment . It has happened to a lot of us out there. Good luck
3wheeljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #8

This was from another forum and referred to Fleetwoods of the 2000 era:

"Lift up the dash and look for an inline fuse, taped to the wiring harness. That's where the heater/AC fuse was on some Fleetwood models of that era."

I assume, from the description, the writer was referring to an inline fuse holder taped onto the harness.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #9

Bruceisla, I found one under the dash that was taped to a wire but it checked out just fine, there is supposed to be another one that I am searching for but have been unable to locate. I wish it was as simple "lifting up the dash" maybe I am missing something as it appears to be a lot harder than that to me? I have a hard time understanding why the kick panel isn't hinged. How is someone supposed to be able to get in there to change the blower motor? If one of my arms was 6' long, had an extra hand on it and had an eyeball on the tip of my finger, I think I could work on this. However, I don't have any of those assets.

3wheeljunkie, we have checked that in hopes of missing something two different times now, no luck, maybe ill check again tomorrow.

I appreciate all the help, am welcoming more suggestions as well as the problem still isn't solved. Will update as any progress is made in hopes that it will help someone else.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMA1181 View Post
Bruceisla, I found one under the dash that was taped to a wire but it checked out just fine, there is supposed to be another one that I am searching for but have been unable to locate. I wish it was as simple "lifting up the dash" maybe I am missing something as it appears to be a lot harder than that to me? I have a hard time understanding why the kick panel isn't hinged. How is someone supposed to be able to get in there to change the blower motor? If one of my arms was 6' long, had an extra hand on it and had an eyeball on the tip of my finger, I think I could work on this. However, I don't have any of those assets.

I don't have a Fleetwood so can't visualize yours very well. In our Endeavor, there is a one foot square "insert" in the top of the dash in front of the driver. When it's popped out the distribution panel and harnesses are accessible. Also, ours is mid-entry so the passenger dash is like a car with a footwell ... the blower motor is easily accessible under the glovebox. Seems like older RVs had less "aesthetics" and were easier to work on.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #11

Skip, do you have the info on the Evans? I printed off the Acme, but my has the Evans on it. How do we locate the resistor? The guy that has been helping me thinks it must be in the resistor. We did print off info from the Evans website but it doesn't go into enough detail. His observation is that it's in a connection or a resistor.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #12

I'll dig up my info and scan it through. If it doesn't show a location , I'll try and find mine and post a picture.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I'll dig up my info and scan it through. If it doesn't show a location , I'll try and find mine and post a picture.
In most cars it looks like this:

Dorman 902-219 Radiator Fan Resistor : Amazon.com : Automotive

I would think it's similar ... it's usually mounted in a plenum so it gets airflow. probably all you will see is the wiring side.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #14

I've got a picture but can't get it to load, resistor is within 2" of the outside of the blower squirrel cage for cooling in the air flow.
Wiring shows blower is a high side driver , power from fuse to the on/off , mode switch then to the speed switch , then the resistor to the motor then to ground. I'll keep trying to get the picture and scan through.

Tags
dash, fleetwood