RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2014, 07:34 PM   #1

2001 Expedition 36T

We are seriously considering purchasing a 2001 Expedition 36T. It has 46K miles, new tires (off brand I've never heard of), exterior in fair condition, roof recently sealed. It is on a Freightliner Chassis and we think it has a 5.9 Cummins. There are no markings designating the motor but from what we see on line I think this was the only engine available. The interior is also "fair" condition for it's age. We went for a test drive and I now understand why most people like the air ride of a DP.

They are asking $38K for it which makes me wonder what could be wrong. Am I overthinking this or is this really fair market value? Are there any known problems with this model year? Are there any particular things to look for? I think this was the first production year for the Expedition. Last question, what is the roof made of? I climbed up to see that it has been coated with some sort of sealer but the salesman was no help identifying it.

Thanks!

02camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2014, 10:12 PM   #2

AFAIK there was only the 5.9 as an engine option in 2001. The price doesn't sound terrible, but one thing to consider (and you didn't mention) is if it has a diesel or propane generator. I've seen a number of Expeditions in that era with propane generators -- which definitely reduces the value (although depending upon your use, it may not be a big deal. Personally, I wouldn't have a propane generator, just because we use our generator a LOT).

I'm also assuming it has the 6 speed Allison as a 2001 model and not the 4 speed. You can tell the difference easy -- a 4 speed has a "stick" shifter that's like a car, and a 6 speed will be a pushbutton unit. Again, 4 speeds aren't terrible, but are always going to be worth less than the 6 speed option.

Overall, I think the 36T is a great entry level DP -- it was very high on our list, and had we not stumbled across the fairly rare coach we bought, we'd likely have one now.

Steve

Old 12-27-2014, 10:22 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Cant believe no one has responded. You will need to give us more details and perhaps pics before we can comment of good buy or not. Check NADA value and adjust for condition. YOU need to know much more info before buying that old of a coach. I am a big believer in buying gently used older over new but you need to do your homework. If you are not mechanically inclined, have the coach inspected by an independent rv inspector or some one with a lot diesel motorhome experience. Rv dealers will tell you what you want to hear, instead of what is wrong with the motorhome. These are very complicated multi systems purchases. Do not go in blind. There are thousands of rvs for sale out there. The salesman is usually not all that motorhome savvy so .....

As to your main question 38,000 is not necessarily a bad price for an 01 Expedition but it is all about condition and maintenance records. Is it full body paint or decals. Does EVERYTHING work? Turn everything on. If something does not work the price goes down. Don't believe verbal promises to fix something as long as you by it. Get it in writing before paying any money. If they want good faith money up front walk away. $38,000 ? offer $20,000 as is and fix it later. JMHO
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:30 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Looks like Steve beat me to the post button, but I agree with him also....Only I wanted a 2000ish Dynasty. Buy what you really like and don't look back. They will all have some problems, just be carful....
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:33 PM   #5

Thanks for the info Steve. I'm still learning the Class A. It has a shifter so I learned from you it's a 4 speed. I figured there had to be a difference but did not know. Also I'm not sure whether the gennie is diesel or propane. The salesman did tell me it is a 7500 watt generator. Not sure if that helps determine which fuel source. Also I did notice it has a "remote" LP tank filler. I never did see the tank though. Not even sure where the tank is. It's definitely not behind a storage compartment door. The fresh water tank does occupy a curbside front compartment which seemed a little odd.

Rick
Old 12-27-2014, 10:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post
Looks like Steve beat me to the post button, but I agree with him also....Only I wanted a 2000ish Dynasty. Buy what you really like and don't look back. They will all have some problems, just be carful....
Thanks Adam,

The main things I don't want to do is:

a. Rush into a purchase
b. Buy a headache
c. Miss a deal...

Still looking for more insight.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:21 AM   #7

I have a 2007 38v that might be worth 90,000. So 38,000 for a 2001 sounds about right, if it is in good condition. The chassis will be good for a long time. The house stuff is 13 years old and you can expect it to be wearing out just like a sticks and bricks house. There is always expense in running a coach and there is always something to fix.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:42 AM   #8

In theory, a 7500 watt generator would be a diesel one. But I never trust salespeople to describe things. Again, it's easy to determine...the diesel genset will look like a big green box (and has its own radiator, because it's liquid cooled and not air cooled) that says "Onan QuietDiesel 7500."

The Discovery/Expeditions of that era all had the fresh water tank as you describe -- they definitely weren't really intended for full time living, in my opinion, with fairly limited storage. Wouldn't bother me since we don't full time and to be honest, I could fit a twin bed in the basement storage area I have that's empty with room for a TV as well

Pricewise, I will say that with a diesel generator and a 4 speed, 38K sounds a bit on the high side. Not terribly high if the condition is outstanding (and condition is EVERYTHING!), but it really ought to be pin-sharp. Have you pulled the awnings out to assess their condition? That's an easy thing to overlook when checking out a motorhome. If you pull them out they should both retract easily, and when you look up through the fabric, you shouldn't see little micro-holes where specks of sunlight "leak" through (which is a sign of aging). Slide out awnings (toppers) should be firmly attached at the front and rear -- as they age and the wind whips them, they will tend to slowly tear at the ends, I've found. And they should not sag, either (although sometimes that can be adjusted).

You didn't mention where you are in the world -- perhaps you are close enough to someone that they can go see it again with you to point out what to look for.

Steve
Old 12-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #9

Thanks again Steve. I've cooled down a little and decided not to jump too quick. We are in Myrtle Beach, SC at Ocean Lakes. The weather is beautiful right now for those who are wondering.

Anyway I am going to continue my search and learn as much as I can before the purchase. I did learn I am not so intimidated by the size and was more comfortable behind the wheel than I thought I would be. I guess maybe pulling about a 34' 5ver with a 20' TV helped in that department. Also advice given about the generator, service records, awning material etc. helps so a big thank you there. I did pull the awnings; the main awning was tan stripes and the door awning was burgundy so that was a negative. I didn't pay attention or check for pinholes but camping in old army surplus tents as a kid, I know exactly what you are describing.

Thanks again, I'm sure I will have many more questions in the future.
Rick
Old 12-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #10

Rick,

Diesels are easy to drive. Even my wife (who wouldn't even consider driving our old 30' gas Class A) drives our 39' DP from time to time.

I also realize I made a mistake -- in 2001 the Expedition (I was thinking of the older Discoveries) had a 5 speed, not a 4, in the configuration you describe, with the power limited (limited to 600lb/ft of torque) ECU. Not as big a drawback as the 4 speed, IMHO.

Best of luck in your search! This is a great community to help you out.

Steve
Old 12-29-2014, 06:14 AM   #11

I must be confused. Bounders of that era all had diesel gennies and the 6 speed 3000 Allison. Aren't the Expedition and Bounder almost twins? They certainly are in later years.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
I must be confused. Bounders of that era all had diesel gennies and the 6 speed 3000 Allison. Aren't the Expedition and Bounder almost twins? They certainly are in later years.
Moisheh, I never confirmed whether or not it had a diesel or LP gennie. It was probably a diesel. It definitely had a shifter (not push button pad) with a single OD trannie. I was able to look at a 2001 Bounder DP brochure. The 36T plan was not in the brochure. We decided to continue our search which for me is most of the fun .
Old 12-30-2014, 10:31 AM   #13

I recently purchased a 2002 Expedition. From the research I did on that particular year, the propane generator was standard as was the 260 HP Cummins. The one we purchased had the optional diesel generator and 300HP with 6 speed. For what it is worth, we are happy with our purchase and it we bought it for less than what you are looking at but with 60k miles.

I found the brochure for the 2001 below. Hope this help.

http://fleetwoodrv.com/frvlibrary/do...2001_exp_b.pdf
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:43 AM   #14

My 1993 Pace Arrow Diesel has a stick shift with the Allison 3060 (6 speed). Generator was 7.5KW diesel.
RM

mchero is offline   Reply With Quote