Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2016, 02:27 PM   #1

2003 American Dream

I am seriously considering going to look at this coach. It's about 30 minutes away from me. Never owned a class A - drove semi's when I was a young man so size does not deter me.

I am a totally a newbie to class A but not to rv's. I read good things about these units.

Where there specific items in this year that I should pay particular attention to?

This is listed as a M40 but I think it's a T40 because of the configuration of the kitchen.

I plan to have an inspection done on the coach and engine/running gear and frame should we decide to move in this direction.

Hopes it's okay that I post a link to the add.

2003 American Coach American Dream M40, Class A - Diesel RV For Sale in Monument, Colorado | Boat & RV Group 724191 | RVT.com - 139541

I posted here rather than the class a section so if I should have posted there let me know.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2016, 06:04 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The '03 Dream was a great coach, so if the condition is decent you probably have a winner. I don't recall any particular issues with them, but as is usually the case at that age, some parts are probably obsolete if replacement becomes necessary. Nothing that cannot be managed, but sometimes a nuisance.

You can download a 2003 Dream brochure here: http://fleetwoodrv.com/frvlibrary/do.../2003_ad_b.pdf

American Coach Factory Service is excellent, much better than most any dealer service. Take advantage of it.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:00 PM   #3

Item to check before purchase of 2003 Dream

If the chassis has the independent front suspension check the front ball joint boots. They have a habit of cracking prematurely and the boots cannot be purchased separately. The ball joints would have to be replaced. It can cost between $2500 to $3000 to do. Mine were cracked and I did not know to check for it. I have run them an additional 4 years with out any trouble. It just might be a bargaining point.
racesport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:22 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Eagles are great coaches, and, as Gary noted, factory support is excellent. Check out the link to the brochure. The 8.9L Cummins ISL is perfect for that coach, I had a similar set up in my last coach.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:59 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Great advise and I appreciate all the insight.

I read the brochure a couple of times. And I have been researching American Coach over the weekend. I think I am hooked!

I did not get a chance to go look at the Dream this weekend. Corresponded with the owner. He does not have service records which is important to me. My emotions say move forward with this coach but my intellect says to wait for a coach with complete service records.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:10 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I would certainly think the owner would not object to you having it inspected by an experienced RV mechanic. If you're really interested in it, it would be money well worth spending.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:29 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
buy it, it won't disappoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdavet View Post
I am seriously considering going to look at this coach. It's about 30 minutes away from me. Never owned a class A - drove semi's when I was a young man so size does not deter me.

I am a totally a newbie to class A but not to rv's. I read good things about these units.

Where there specific items in this year that I should pay particular attention to?

This is listed as a M40 but I think it's a T40 because of the configuration of the kitchen.

I plan to have an inspection done on the coach and engine/running gear and frame should we decide to move in this direction.

Hopes it's okay that I post a link to the add.

2003 American Coach American Dream M40, Class A - Diesel RV For Sale in Monument, Colorado | Boat & RV Group 724191 | RVT.com - 139541

I posted here rather than the class a section so if I should have posted there let me know.

I have an 03 Eagle...PM me if you need/have any questions

Doug
id04265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 02:52 PM   #8

Regarding the fact that the owner does not have service records, I cannot imagine anyone who owns one of these coaches not having service records!

Sounds like he is a broker posing as a private seller (buys a coach at auction, re-sells it).

I ran into one of those in my hunt for my Eagle 7 years ago.

The coach may have been well looked after, but the broker will never receive those records at auction.

Inspection is the way to go.

Factory support from both Spartan and American Coach are excellent!
Old 03-16-2016, 10:14 PM   #9
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Are you talking to the owner or a re seller?

The past owner should at least be able to tell you where it was serviced.

A call to them might be worth the effort to find them.

If you drove big trucks, do a pre inspection and see if you fined anything. Make sure it builds pressure, pump the brakes to see if the low air pressure warning goes off, look for unusual tire wear.

American coaches have great quality.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
Regarding the fact that the owner does not have service records, I cannot imagine anyone who owns one of these coaches not having service records!

Sounds like he is a broker posing as a private seller (buys a coach at auction, re-sells it).

I ran into one of those in my hunt for my Eagle 7 years ago.

The coach may have been well looked after, but the broker will never receive those records at auction.

Inspection is the way to go.

Factory support from both Spartan and American Coach are excellent!
I see this comment all the time. What records are you looking for? Oil changes, air inflation, how many times the windshield was cleaned? I do not keep copies of repair or service work done unless there is some warranty involved. 9 years later I would have a file cabinet full. Sounds like your world is full of dishonest people.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #11
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
I see this comment all the time. What records are you looking for? Oil changes, air inflation, how many times the windshield was cleaned? I do not keep copies of repair or service work done unless there is some warranty involved. 9 years later I would have a file cabinet full. Sounds like your world is full of dishonest people.
YES

I keep everything.

I also have the dealer stamp my maintenance book for my vehicles.

Just sold my 2007 Ford F-350 with a three in binder, guy did not even take a test drive and paid my asking price.

Records are well worth the effort.

They truly indicate the importance of maintenance of the previous owner

Sold many vehicles because of record keeping.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
All parts, preventive maintenance,oil analysis, generator service, filter purchases, SCA purchases, any component that is of some value and is under a warranty (dinosaur ignition board for the HWH for example).

I fail to see what your snarky remark about my world has ANTHING with the above listed items.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:26 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I keep all my records, even items that are not required. Might seem trivial, but when a prospective owner looks at your records and sees how often you waxed it, lubed the steps, cleaned the toad hitch, cleaned the AC filters, etc...he knows the MH has been well cared for. I traded my last coach with a dealer. Not long after I got a call from the guy that bought it. When he saw my records he knew somebody had taken good care of it...and he bought it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote