RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2004 PaceArrow dog house removal

I stood my fat butt on the dog house and broke it. Need to remove it to repair, anyone know how to remove it? Thanks in advance for your help.

Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not sure about yours specifically, but most of them either have latches or are screwed/bolted down. Feel around the doghouse carpet and see if you can find the hardware. If all else fails, call Fleetwood Customer Service and ask if they can tell you. Good luck!

Old 05-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My Bounder had three screws ( hidden by the carpet ).

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:21 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most Pace Arrows had a two piece dog house. The top piece unlatched and flipped open. The bottom piece was removed when more access was needed. The bottom piece was screwed to the floor. It has a lip that sticks out over the floor about an inch. The screws are screwed through the lip and into the floor. You have to remove all the screws and slip a razor knife between the floor and the lip to break the weather seal. Make sure you seal it well when reinstalling.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:36 PM   #5

If I remember correctly (no guarantee of that) mine had a hole, bottom front, that you put an Allen wrench in to unscrew. Hole was concealed by carpeting, but could be felt.

G L Arnold
Old 05-20-2014, 10:55 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
How badly is it broken? If it is only one place, you might be able to repair it in place. Just cover the engine with a plastic tarp and work through the top opening.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:58 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is a mess and needs to be removed. The fiberglass guy looked at it today and said it would 4 or 5 times as long to try to do it in place so best to remove it. I may have to call Fleetwood to see how to remove it. I still need to look closely to see if I can figure it out. Thanks to all for continuing to help.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:00 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You could run a strong magnet around the edges and perhaps discover the attaching points.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are screws all around your doghouse to hold it in place. You need to dig around in the carpet and locate them and remove.

As one poster said, use a scraper or putty knife to release the seal from the floor. BE VERY CAREFULL, as the black seal goo is sticky and if it gets on your carpet or surrounding areas, it will not come off or it will stain.

Yes it will come off, a PITA, and a messy job. It is best you do the job yourself, as no one will do a better job than yourself. As for the repair, it is a simple job of applying some fiberglass or buildup a support on the inside. Next time………..don’t step on the doghouse……………but I think you know that by now. Good Luck!
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 08:48 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMudstud View Post
There are screws all around your doghouse to hold it in place. You need to dig around in the carpet and locate them and remove.

As one poster said, use a scraper or putty knife to release the seal from the floor. BE VERY CAREFULL, as the black seal goo is sticky and if it gets on your carpet or surrounding areas, it will not come off or it will stain.

Yes it will come off, a PITA, and a messy job. It is best you do the job yourself, as no one will do a better job than yourself. As for the repair, it is a simple job of applying some fiberglass or buildup a support on the inside. Next time………..don’t step on the doghouse……………but I think you know that by now. Good Luck!
Thanks, I was on the phone with Fleetwood when I read your post, they told me the same thing as you. Again thanks
Old 05-28-2014, 08:47 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I pulled some carpet on the right side of the doghouse today and found the screws that Fleetwood installed and more, someone had been working there before. This coach had 2680 miles on it when I got it. I think it was a demo but not sure as it came from a bankrupt dealer. The dealer I got it from got it at an auction. There were smaller screws every inch or two and you could see where it had been sealed with silicone. I stopped as it would be too much of a PIA, and as stated earlier I still would not be able to stand on it. Not being able to stand on it is a PIA. I have decided to build a platform so to speak that will bridge the dog house and be supported on the sides by runners, so I can stand, step on it. It will be wooden slats or solid wood and varnished to look nice. Any other ideas would be welcomed. Thanks to all for your help.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:17 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
Well I pulled some carpet on the right side of the doghouse today and found the screws that Fleetwood installed and more, someone had been working there before. This coach had 2680 miles on it when I got it. I think it was a demo but not sure as it came from a bankrupt dealer. The dealer I got it from got it at an auction. There were smaller screws every inch or two and you could see where it had been sealed with silicone. I stopped as it would be too much of a PIA, and as stated earlier I still would not be able to stand on it. Not being able to stand on it is a PIA. I have decided to build a platform so to speak that will bridge the dog house and be supported on the sides by runners, so I can stand, step on it. It will be wooden slats or solid wood and varnished to look nice. Any other ideas would be welcomed. Thanks to all for your help.
Fiberglass is very strong. You could take it to someone who works on fiberglass. A boat dealer would be a good place to call. They could rebuild it and add a couple of layers of fiberglass cloth and it would hold your weight.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:36 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Fiberglass is very strong. You could take it to someone who works on fiberglass. A boat dealer would be a good place to call. They could rebuild it and add a couple of layers of fiberglass cloth and it would hold your weight.
Actually I was taking it off for the fiberglass guy. I am having some painting done and the guy is also a fiberglass guy. He said he could fix it in the coach but it would take him 4 or 5 times as long. I take it to him Monday so will show him what I have.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Once you fix it, cut a 3/4 inch piece of plywood, cover with carpet and place it on top of the dog house. We had the same issue and this $10 fixed has worked great for the last 2 years.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

BlueOx Aladdin Toads: Tahoe or 2500HD, BrakeBuddy Classic
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal