Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2012, 03:21 AM   #1

2005 expedition 38n water heater fault light

I have a 2005 fleetwood expedition 38n. I am currently hooked up to 50 amp shore power and am using my water heater in the electric mode and the red fault light is on. The water seems to be staying hot.
I understand the fault light only has to do with the water heater in LP mode.
why would the light be on in electric mode?
Thanks
John
mcflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2012, 05:05 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Here is the manual in case you don't have one. http://manuals.adventurerv.net/Atwoo...-93755-10E.pdf .I have heard of the red light coming on in elec mode when the system goes into lock out mode when the water gets to hot. I have spoken to the Attwood techs in the past and found them to be helpful. If nothing else happens this weekend, try them Monday 574-264-2131. Good luck

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:57 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
where is the light you are seeing....I have the same RV you do and have never seen a light but may not have looked in the same place as you. Hope you enjoy the Expedition we love ours...glen
GlenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenB
where is the light you are seeing....I have the same RV you do and have never seen a light but may not have looked in the same place as you. Hope you enjoy the Expedition we love ours...glen
On page # 7 in the manual I posted is examples of some of the switches. Mine is # 11.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:35 AM   #5

John,

We had the lockout lamp come on while on electric too. I flushed the tank and re-established the air gap (should be done at least twice a year), and I also cleaned up all the electric connections (there may be a sticker on your heater saying to use a pencil eraser to clean the control board contacts). One or the other cleared the condition and we have not had the light come on since. But now a year later our water is on the hot (too hot) side again which would mean the Thermostat / ECO is going. I'm waiting to see what it does when we leave FL, our water heater is in full sun all day which could be part of the problem. We have an Atwood GC10A-4E water heater which we usually have on 24/7 in the electric mode unless boondocked somewhere. I do make sure to run it on gas at least once a month.

Bob
Old 04-01-2012, 06:38 AM   #6

Also, two very important points. Replace the drain plug if it is the original. It is always good to have a spare on hand when flushing the tank and make sure that the heater is off, never have the electric on when you empty the tank.

Bob
Old 04-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #7

The light is above the water heater LP rocker switch and is marked fault. I have discovered on the forum it is the DSI (Direct Spark Ignition) fault light and is a safety feature. If the heater doesn't light after 3 trys on propane, it locks out the LP and you have to reset and try again. It only pertains to LP but will function in the electric mode if the water gets to hot.
My reset and works fine now
mcflop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water