Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2017, 09:48 PM   #1

2005 Fleetwood Expedition 38N Refrigerator will not run on A.C. when on generator

My refrigerator will run on propane but not off A/C when using the generator with no shore power. Is this normal?.
Thanks
McFlop
mcflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2017, 10:36 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not normal. Does the refrigerator run on electric while on shore power? Is the refrigerator the only thing that won't run while using the generator? Check the circuit breakers on the generator to make sure one hasn't tripped.
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:16 AM   #3

I'll have to wait til I get home to check shore powe. Circuit breaker by bed is OK. THANKS.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:30 AM   #4

The refer is the only A.C. unit not working. Is there a fuse for the refer only?
Old 11-25-2017, 11:53 AM   #5

Try the typical computer/electrical problem, pull the fridge power cord outside compartment count to 25 and plug it back in. This has fixed mine with a error code.
No Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 05:20 PM   #6

Refrigerator will mot work on AC

I got home and hooked up to shore power and the refer will not work on shore power AC or Generator AC. Circuit breaker by bed is OK and Refer light on 50 amp panel is lit.
I unplugged and plugged in power cord on outside with no results. rRefer works on LP
Any ideas?
Thanks
Old 11-25-2017, 11:35 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our Tiffin Allegro has a box of electrical breakers under the refrigerator I'm not sure if or where Fleetwood has one. Check all the breakers and make sure none of them are tripped. I would trip each one and reset it to make sure none of them are tripped. Also check the 12 V cut off at the entrance door to make sure it doesn't affect the refrigerator if it is turned off.

Good luck,
Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:31 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I believe that what you are seeing is normal. Our '07 Excursion operates the same way. Think through the logic.... you use your generator when "dry camping" and the propane mode on the refrigerator is used generally when dry camping or when shore power is not available. To avoid having the refrigerator cycling between propane and AC mode unnecessarily, the engineers set up the refrigerator system to preferentially operate on propane when AC is sourced from the generator.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:09 PM   #9

My refrigerator will not operate on shore power or generator power. It operates on propane only. All circuit breakers are OK.
I'm thinking there must me a fuse somewhere (possibly in the black box in the outside refrigerator compartment) but I'm not sure how to open the box and no one thus far has suggested that.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:15 PM   #10

I'm going to throw this out there. Are you sure the selector on the refrigerator is not set to LP only?
mustang392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:02 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
believe that what you are seeing is normal. Our '07 Excursion operates the same way. Think through the logic.... you use your generator when "dry camping" and the propane mode on the refrigerator is used generally when dry camping or when shore power is not available. To avoid having the refrigerator cycling between propane and AC mode unnecessarily, the engineers set up the refrigerator system to preferentially operate on propane when AC is sourced from the generator.
Nope. When in AUTO mode, the fridge itself makes the power decision and it always give preference to to 120vac power. It can't tell genset 120v from shore 120v, so there no way for it to avoid the genset.

Many Fleetwood Dp's have two outlets behind the fridge, one that is sourced to an inverter-supplied circuit and one not. The inverter supplied circuit is for the ice maker, so it can continue to work even if the fridge in in LP gas mode. The IM requires 120v power. Sometimes the fridge power and the IM power get switched.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:16 PM   #12

RV Absorption fridges have at least TWO fuses n the control module (circuit board---outside compartment)

ONE Fuse will be an 'AUTO Blade Type Fuse'----typically 3A But can be 5A
THAT one is for the 12V DC Control Circuits used to operate fridge (electric and propane)

ONE Fuse will be a 'GLASS' fuse ----typically 5A
THAT one is for the electric circuit and electric element.
120V AC power connects to circuit board....then 120V AC goes thru the galss fuse and then to electric element leads on circuit board
*IF fuse is NOT making good/clean contact then no AC to element (verify AC Voltage on both ends of fuse)
*If fuse is blown.........no AC to element (suspect element may be shorted also)
*If fuse is OK ..then element could be bad ---would need to test element continuity/ohms

WHAT is the BRAND/MODEL of your FRIDGE?

Typically you unplug power cord from module, unplug 12V DC leads from module and remove cover........screws or clips
Some models require unplugging more leads
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:41 PM   #13

As I understand it, a gas frig operates by the gas flame boiling the gas and converting it to a vapor which is processed through the rest of the system. When the frig operates on AC the same thing happens. The gas is boiled by an electric heating element. They operate the same as an electric stove element or water heater element, and sometimes burn out. Seems like you've checked about everything else so check the continuity of the element wires to see if the element is an open circuit (burned out).
Old 12-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #14

I've solved the problem.
It was the 5 amp glass fuse in the outside refer compartment on the control board.
The auto blade type fuse was OK.
Replaced the fuse and everything works fine.
Thanks
John

Tags
fleetwood, refrigerator, generator