Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2015, 07:29 PM   #1

2006 American Eagle 40L

Considering the purchase of a 2006 Eagle 40L. We have no actual weights but I'm concerned as to whether the front 14,600# axle capacity is adequate. The posted numbers from the factory on the sticker show no problem but we have all read stories on IRV2 about overloaded axles once folks filled the tanks and put in the groceries-even though the sticker, and salesperson, said it had plenty of CCC.

I'd have it weighed before signing on the dotted line but if there is a known problem out there I'd just as soon look elsewhere.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has knowledge of any weight issues with the Eagle 40L.

Thanks,

Keith
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2015, 07:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky68D View Post
Considering the purchase of a 2006 Eagle 40L. We have no actual weights but I'm concerned as to whether the front 14,600# axle capacity is adequate. The posted numbers from the factory on the sticker show no problem but we have all read stories on IRV2 about overloaded axles once folks filled the tanks and put in the groceries-even though the sticker, and salesperson, said it had plenty of CCC.

I'd have it weighed before signing on the dotted line but if there is a known problem out there I'd just as soon look elsewhere.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has knowledge of any weight issues with the Eagle 40L.

Thanks,

Keith

The fact that all the CCC can never be used is a dirty little secret in the motorhome business. In '06 you are probably ok. Coaches have really gained weight lately and there is a serious over weight issue going on over at Newmar but I'm guessing it not limited to them.

The way to be sure is ask to have the coach weighed at a CAT or out her certified scale before you go any further. It's won't be a corner weight but you will know your axle weights for sure.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:21 PM   #3
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I have come across this, in my research on the correct tires for my Motor Home. My reading seems to indicate that over weight problems are confined to Motor Homes with slides.

I do not have a slide, but at some point in my Motor Homes life the weight sticker was updated to refect additional weight capacity on the front axle.

Yours is newer so you would have to research any recalls.

"It's possible that the oem tires were inadequate for the load on the steer axle. Here is a recall from 1999:

Build Years/Makes/Models: 1996 - 2000 FLEETWOOD AMERICAN EAGLE
1999 - 2000 FLEETWOOD AMERICAN TRADITION
1996 - 2000 FLEETWOOD AMERICAN DREAM
1999 - 2000 FLEETWOOD AMERICAN HERITAGE
UNits affected: 3746
Recall Number: 99V277000
Summary: VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: MOTOR HOMES. THE SUBJECT MOTOR HOMES, WHEN BUILT WITH A DISPROPORTIONATE FRONT AXLE WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION, FULLY EQUIPPED, LOADED WITH CARGO, AND OPERATED WITH IMPROPER TIRE PRESSURES, CAN EXPERIENCE AN OVERLOAD CONDITION ON A FRONT TIRE.
Consequence: OVERLOADING OF A TIRE CAN LEAD TO TIRE FAILURE.
Remedy: DEALERS WILL EQUIP THE SUBJECT MOTOR HOMES WITH NEW LARGER CAPACITY FRONT TIRES, WILL ADJUST THE WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION ON THE FRONT AXLE (IF NECESSARY), APPLY NEW CERTIFICATION LABELS, AND REINFORCE CONSUMER EDUCATION ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF TIRE MAINTENANCE, INCLUDING ROTATION, ALIGNMENT, AND TIRE INFLATION PRESSURE.
Notes: FLEETWOOD RECALL NO. 91015.OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN DECEMBER 3, 1999.OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT FLEETWOOD AT 1-800-322-8216.ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236)

I did do a google on Recall Number: 99V277000 and found a number of reports.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/..._ids=99V277000

Vehicle Database | The Center for Auto Safety

I think after reading it has to do with vehicles with slides, which mine does not have.

NHTSA Action Number: RQ00001 DISPROPORTIONATE AXLE WEIGHT

SUMMARY:

FLEETWOOD ENTERPRISES FILED A DEFECT INFORMATION REPORT DATED OCTOBER 5, 1999, TO ADDRESS 'DISPROPORTIONATE FRONT AXLE LOADING' IN 1996-2000 MODEL YEAR AMERICAN EAGLE, AMERICAN DREAM, AND AMERICAN TRADITION CLASS A MOTORHOMES. THESE MOTORHOMES CAN HAVE ONE OR TWO SLIDE OUT SECTIONS. FLEETWOOD ISSUED THE RECALL AFTER AN INVESTIGATION CONDUCTED BY FLEETWOOD IN RESPONSE TO A SECOND FATAL ACCIDENT INVOLVING AN AMERICAN COACH PRODUCT IN SEPTEMBER 1999. THEY DISCOVERED THAT ONE SIDE OF THE AXLE MAY HAVE MORE WEIGHT THAN THE OTHER, INCREASING THE RISK THAT THE TIRE ON THAT SIDE MAY FAIL. ODI HAS RECEIVED TWO COMPLAINTS ON BOUNDER CLASS A MOTORHOMES EQUIPPED WITH SLIDE OUT SECTIONS AND MANUFACTURED BY FLEETWOOD, WHICH DESCRIBE SIMILAR DISPROPORTIONATE AXLE LOADING. BOTH OWNERS IDENTIFY THE LEFT SIDE WITH THE SLIDE OUT, AS THE HEAVIER SIDE. THE SUBJECT VEHICLES ARE THOSE MOTORHOMES EQUIPPED WITH SLIDE OUT SECTIONS, IN WHICH THE OWNER CAN EXTEND PART OF THE SIDE OR REAR OF THE MOTORHOME OUTWARD FROM THE VEHICLE. THIS WOULD INCREASE THE WEIGHT ON THE SIDE THE SLIDE OUT IS LOCATED. THIS INVESTIGATION IS OPENED TO EVALUATE THE PROBLEM EXPERIENCE, SCOPE, AND THE IMPACT OF SLIDE OUT SECTIONS ON DISPROPORTIONATE AXLE LOADING.."

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:06 PM   #4

I really have to call American, just to make sure there are no open recalls! The Dream is making its way up from Pensacola to Jersey on Christmas morning, unloaded of coarse. PO's knew nothing of recalls, (original owner only owned her for less than a year) hoping they were taken care of!
Lisablue85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:14 PM   #5

The Eagle brochure claims a basic weight (no fuel, water, options or cargo) of approximately 29,000 pounds with a GVWR of 34,600. That is what makes me suspicious of what the true empty weight is and what it will be with the full fuel and water along with our stuff and supplies.

We're going to see the coach in person in a couple days and will stop to have a chat with the troopers who operate a large truck scale operation along the interstate. If they will allow it, I'll stop there on the test drive for front and rear weight readouts and will go for the corners later if the initial weigh in is ok.

Keith
Old 12-22-2015, 09:27 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Should be no problem on the 40L. I have a 40V and am 2000 lbs under on the front axle, even when otherwise fully loaded. You will run out of rear axle capacity (20,000 lbs) long before the front becomes a problem.

The overweight front axle problem occurred with the 43 footer with all tile floors and a full wall slide. The empty weight was so high that it reached 14,600 with just two passengers up front plus full water tanks. AC has since gone to a larger front axle on those models, but back around 2007 there were some configurations like that that came up short.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:33 AM   #7
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky68D View Post
The Eagle brochure claims a basic weight (no fuel, water, options or cargo) of approximately 29,000 pounds with a GVWR of 34,600. That is what makes me suspicious of what the true empty weight is and what it will be with the full fuel and water along with our stuff and supplies.

We're going to see the coach in person in a couple days and will stop to have a chat with the troopers who operate a large truck scale operation along the interstate. If they will allow it, I'll stop there on the test drive for front and rear weight readouts and will go for the corners later if the initial weigh in is ok.

Keith
Not sure I would talk with troops,

First off they do not always have the correct answers

Second if you roll on the scales and there is a problem you will be stuck (red tagged) You could go to a truck stop that has a CAT scale and get axle weights.

Third trucking weights do not apply to RV, RVs are exempt.

I think you would receive better information (more current and correct) if you talked to FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration) or go to their web sit
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulation...e49/b/5/3/list

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote