Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2015, 02:44 PM   #1

2006 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Car Tow Question

Hi all,
Our 2006 Pace Arrow has a 5000 lb tow hitch capacity and we want to use it to pull a U-Haul car hauler with our Nissan Xterra on it . U-haul has worked their on-line formula and says it will work no problem. The curb weight of the xterra is 3777 and the trailer is 2210 empty weight. This totals 5987 lbs but is well within the capacity of the auto hauler trailer, says U Haul.

We can't dingy tow or dolly tow the xterra and there is no budget for buying another car and a toad hitch this trip.

Any advice or concerns, experiences etc would be appreciated. We will be traveling from Tampa to Fairfax Virginia so no big mountain passes to cross.

Regards, Dan
Dan_n_Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2015, 03:03 PM   #2

Trailer brakes?
Old 08-12-2015, 03:10 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Hello & welcome to iRV2. We're glad to have you here.

"Uhaul says"??? You're way over your hitch rating. If you get in an accident, you'll be lawyer fodder. Don't do it. If you can't dolly it or get another toad within your hitch rating, then have someone drive it.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:04 PM   #4

I would assume Uhaul trailer has a surge brake on it so that should take car of that part. I pull my race car and open trailer with our 05 pace Arrow and Trailer weight and car are over 6000lbs with no issues.I did re-enforce the hitch though on our 37c to be safe
Old 08-17-2015, 11:26 AM   #5

Two of your three post on this site are about towing the Xterra on a trailer. You know you will be about 1,000# over what your vehicle (as it is set up) is rated to tow. You may very well also be over the rated tongue weight, towing that vehicle on a trailer. Are you just looking for people to tell you it's OK ?
Old 08-18-2015, 07:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Hello & welcome to iRV2. We're glad to have you here.

"Uhaul says"??? You're way over your hitch rating. If you get in an accident, you'll be lawyer fodder. Don't do it. If you can't dolly it or get another toad within your hitch rating, then have someone drive it.

Lori-
Thanks Lori. I'll take your advice .
Old 08-18-2015, 07:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
Two of your three post on this site are about towing the Xterra on a trailer. You know you will be about 1,000# over what your vehicle (as it is set up) is rated to tow. You may very well also be over the rated tongue weight, towing that vehicle on a trailer. Are you just looking for people to tell you it's OK ?
Mitch, yes , The consensus is that Towing the Xterra on the U-Haul trailer would be a very bad idea due to the weight issue. Maybe I was hoping someone would say the weight ratings are plus or -1000 pounds but that was not the case. I'm now looking for Plan B. Thanks for the input. Dan
Old 08-18-2015, 07:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCarillon View Post
I would assume Uhaul trailer has a surge brake on it so that should take car of that part. I pull my race car and open trailer with our 05 pace Arrow and Trailer weight and car are over 6000lbs with no issues.I did re-enforce the hitch though on our 37c to be safe
PC, yes, The U-Haul trailer has brakes but only activate if the trailer comes off the hitch is that a surge brake?
Old 08-18-2015, 07:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Trailer brakes?
It has a hydraulic system that activates trailer brakes should the trailer become disconnected from the hitch
Old 08-18-2015, 07:51 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Paul Carillon, is the tow rating on your RV more than 5000 lbs? If not, I hope I don't meet you on the road some where. Re-enforcing your hitch did not change it's tow rating. Only the manufacturer can do that.

Jerry
Old 08-18-2015, 08:42 AM   #11

Some (myself included ) have been fairly hard on you. Your MH as it is now, is not rated to do what you want.
I would however look into what you would like to do a little more, before giving up.
First, regarding that trailer, those surge brakes do activate while driving, and will lock up the brakes in the event of a breakaway.
I would check out what the GVWR and GCWR figures are on your Workhorse? chassis. There might be enough to meet your needs. If there isn't, if you are somehow enough below your GVWR the difference between your loaded weight and your GCWR, might be adequate.
Of course if you have a 5,000# hitch, that should be changed. If the numbers work, you would still have to find a qualified hitch/metal shop to do whatever reinforcing would be needed, to upgrade from the tow rating that Pace Arrow gave that motor home.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoc View Post
Paul Carillon, is the tow rating on your RV more than 5000 lbs? If not, I hope I don't meet you on the road some where. Re-enforcing your hitch did not change it's tow rating. Only the manufacturer can do that.

Jerry
Jerry I feel very comfortable that my Coach can haul what I am hauling with no issues. For that last 35 yrs I have comfortably pulled Car trailers, Open and Closed with all my Vehicles with the 5000lb rated hitches. My Coach doesnt have any issues pulling it. Now if I didnt reinforce the hitch I wouldnt pull this trailer setup all the time. A few times here and there probably. I have electric brakes on the trailer and have a controller for them and they work just fine. If you dont feel comfortable doing then dont. I do and will continue to do so but thanks for your Concern.

Tags
ace, class a, fleetwood, pace arrow, tow, towing, u haul car hauler