Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2017, 09:13 PM   #1

2006 Pace Arrow Batteries Draining Quickly

I think I may have the same kind of battery for both house & main. I know they're the refurbished 12V EconoPower type, though there's no other info on the batteries (except date: 7/16) about CCAs or Ahs.

Problem is, after charging them up with the generator, they read about 12.8V each. After about an hour they were down to 12.2V. Today, a few days later, they're both down to 8.8V, not enough to start the engine or even start the generator.

I charge the house batt at home and get get things going again, but from my limited knowledge it seems wrong that both batts are going down at the same rate. I can't find anything in the coach that is ON to drain the charges. In fact, my A/C unit has a small 5A solar panel that's supposed to keep the house batt from losing charge, provided there's no load on it.

Isn't something wrong to (1) cause the drain and (2) drain both batts at once? I'll have the coach in for some work soon anyway, but I was wondering where I might look for the problem first.

Ron
vagaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2017, 09:14 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine turned out to be the solenoid in the BCC.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:19 PM   #3

First test would be to charge the batteries to 14 volts, not 12.8. Next unhook the cables and wait a day. If the drop by themselfs, there shot.

You could also have them tested.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:01 AM   #4

JohnRR, How do I locate/test that solenoid? Is it inside the box of the BCC or on the side?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161221_173257.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	148127   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161221_173306.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	148128  

Old 01-03-2017, 04:35 AM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's in the upper left corner of the top picture, it's the silver looking barrel with the orange warning label inside the box. It really was not that bad to change out considering its location,

DO NOT FORGET TO DISCONNECT ALL THE BATTERIES BEFORE YOU DO IT!!!

I used these to check it out

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...est%20Info.pdf

Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Chassis battery disconnect failed while driving

I've read there are less expensive ones available but I opted for the original, it lasted 10 years the first time why not now.

On-Line Parts Store
Old 01-11-2017, 10:33 PM   #6

Thanks for all the info on this. I haven't had time to completely diagnose this. I did take twinboat's advice, and I think the batteries are OK. Will let you know when I find out more.

Ron
Old 01-11-2017, 11:38 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two questions...

Did you just buy this RV? Reason I ask is you say date is 7/16 on the batteries.

Refurbished batteries? Haven't heard of refurbished batteries for a long time.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:35 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
you said: "After charging from Generator"

How long did you generate: Minimum charge time is six hours, this assumes the proper size Converter/charger for the batteries you have.. If you have upgraded the battery bank you upgrade the re-charge time.

Now.. YOu mentioned the batteries are Refurbs.. But you did not mention how long since they were Refurbed.. One thing I have noticed is that as batteries age. they run down faster.. A new starting battery may well last for weeks.. But when it's years old. days, and when it's old enough hours. Same parasitic loads all during that 10 year period. Then suddenly it's back to Weeks (Cause you replaced it).
Old 01-13-2017, 01:22 AM   #9

JohnRR, I have some other symptoms to compare to your experience. I got voltage readings on the main control panel showing chassis and house batteries at 12.4V with nothing running. However when I put the multimeter on them, the house batt was 12.4 but the main was 10.6. It has seemed suspicious to me that the two batts always seem to read the same on the control panel.

Also, even using the aux start switch to connect the chassis and house batts to try to start the engine did not work. It didn't seem to increase the power to the starter at all. Does this seem consistent with the relay failure you had? It kind of sounds that way to me.

By the way, the price has dropped on the relay, now only $60. I think it's worth ordering to try out anyway. I read posts on this and other forums about the part failing, esp. on a Thor Hurricane, even causing it to completely lose engine power while running on the highway. I can do without that!

Re other questions about the batteries, I bought the coach end of last October. The dealer had already installed the 12V Econo Power batteresi, which are refurbished Interstates. There's no info on the batteries themselves except the 7/16 date.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:54 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't really remember any readings now but the logic I used more so than the reading was if the solenoid was working properly I would expect different readings at the two different sides.

My aux start would not work either so using the guess method I figured the start battery was starting to continually go dead when on shore power for about a week without running the engine. The battery stayed up while driving from point to point. So I figured the solenoid was not closing to charge the start battery with shore power the same as it would not start with the aux.

Not having another set of hands to push the aux and check the readings accurately I just replaced it trusting my judgement and the so many postings of others.

I had some preliminary readings from months before I did the change but like I mentioned they've long gone from my memory.

As far as the battery condition themselves I'd suggest taking them/it (removed) to a auto parts store to have a load test performed. I have my own load tester so again I kept no records of the readings?

For a back yard battery test if you have the time after the start battery is charged disconnect the negative battery cable and let it sit about the same amount of time it takes for it to go dead then reconnect it and see if it starts. If it still does not start I'd consider dumping it, OTH if it does start or crank like normal I'd eliminated it from my short list of problems. Like what twinboat posted.

Hope it helps.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:18 PM   #11

SUCCESS!! Or at least I think so... Today I spent at least 2 hours getting that new relay (solenoid? -- whatever) installed. Tedious, but after finishing and reconnecting the batteries, I was able to use the house battery to start the engine! Very satisfying. Time will tell whether it's a real "fix," but it looks good so far.

$60 and time well spent. Thanks so much for the tip!
Old 01-19-2017, 11:58 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the update, sometimes we don't get to hear what fixed the problem!
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:02 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's good to hear it worked out for you and thank you for the update they are important for those who may do a search of the subject in the future.

Tags
batteries, pace arrow, ace