Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2016, 08:38 PM   #1

Angry 2007 Bounder DP over heating !!!

Our 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 36D DP was running hot. I had the radiators steam cleaned but that didn't help much. It heats up to the warning buzzer goes off, I shut it down for a few minutes and then start it back up and it cools right down in a minute or so.

I took it to the Freightliner here in Phoenix, AZ they had it for three days and said they could not get it to heat up and all the computer codes were fine. I picked it up and started down the road to Tucson. Didn't make it 10 miles down the road and it was Hot. I checked while it was hot and the fan was not running. Shut it down and a few minutes later started it up and cooled right down. The fan had kicked it and then it ran great all the way back to town.

The shop looked at it again and found the codes for the fan. They are telling me I need to pull and CAC and radiator, have them bought boiled out and reconditioned, replaced the thermostat and fan. This can all be done for a quick $5K ????

To change out the fan and controller does the radiator and CAC need to be removed ??? The MH only had 31K can't see why I'd need to completely rebuild the radiator and CAC.

Advice needed....

Thanks
Bil
Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2016, 03:58 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Look at his thread Bil http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/radia...ng-274228.html , and click on the links in post#11 and read them and take a look at the photo's. The charge air cooler at the very least needs to come out so one can at least get to both sides of the radiator for a proper cleaning.
I would look for another shop to do your work. Sounds like your fan is working......Sounds like you just need a good cleaning. After you look at those picture's in those other thread's, you will see what can happen, and what is still left after a cleaning without taking it apart.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:12 AM   #3

Doesn't Overheat when Fan is running

PaleHorse,

When it is running hot, the fan is NOT on ?? As soon as the fan kicks on she cools right down to normal. I have viewed those threads before that's why I had the CAC and Radiator cleaned prior to this trip.

They are telling me the CAC and radiator both need complete cleaning and boiling out at $700 each. I'm thinking just an external cleaning would be enough ?

Bill
Old 01-07-2016, 03:06 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuts View Post
PaleHorse,

When it is running hot, the fan is NOT on ?? As soon as the fan kicks on she cools right down to normal. I have viewed those threads before that's why I had the CAC and Radiator cleaned prior to this trip.

They are telling me the CAC and radiator both need complete cleaning and boiling out at $700 each. I'm thinking just an external cleaning would be enough ?

Bill
At what temperature is the fan coming on? Running hot? how hot?
You state that you had them cleaned, did they remove them both to do so, or did they just clean them from the outside?
Freightliner chassis?
A thread to look at about the fan control http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/fan-c...er-172449.html
Old 01-08-2016, 08:24 AM   #5

Not communicating well ???

PaleHorse

I guess I'm not getting the whole picture to you and your the only one who is taking the time to respond. The fan does not come on until it has been overheating for sometime. It even completely shut down once before I could find a spot to pull over. After the alarm has gone off and I leave it off for a short time, the fan will finally kick on and she cools down. Might have to let it get hot again before it kicks in.

Anyway, I'm having a shop fix it but I think they could do it without pulling the CAC and radiator, but they say no. While they are out I'll have them cleaned and the thermostat changed out.

Biggest problem is we have been in a motel for three days now and the work wont be completed for another week !!!! Oh then there is the 5K for the work $$$$$$

Bill
Old 01-10-2016, 03:48 PM   #6

I would put the blame on the fan operation. If the engine cools down after the fan comes on there has to be circulation in the cooling system.
I would wire the fan direct and drive the coach and watch the temperature. If the engine stayed cool or too cool you would know if the coolant was circulating.
Did the shop really check the problem out or just surmise you need all this work?
One day they can't find a problem. The next day they want to change out the entire cooling system. It sounds to me like they don't know what they are doing so they are covering all the bases. I don't see how all the things they want to service can fail all at once. Especially with the miles you have on your DP.
Lynn
Old 01-12-2016, 04:30 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey Nuts!!
I Have a lot of history with this....Please call my cell phone NOW! 847-875-2445 Not only can I help you but......maybe no money!!!
Please call me!
Craig
Craig N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:14 PM   #8

Outcome?
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:37 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey Nuts,
Even if you are already getting the work done....please call me.
They will never tell you what you are entitled to!
Craig
Craig N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heating, heat, bounder