RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #1

2007 Fleetwood Discovery fire. Need help

I am working on repairing a 2007 Fleetwood Discovery 39L which experienced a fire in the chassis battery compartment that burned all the power wiring beyond recognition. I would really appreciate it if someone who has a similar coach could email me some photos of their battery connections and wiring that I could use to return this coach to original condition. I need the chassis battery and coach battery compartments. Any and all photos would be appreciated.

larrycad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2011, 07:08 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you contacted Fleetwood customer service? I know they can supply via e mail electrical schematics; I don't know about photos however.

Just curious, did a battery overcharge and explode? Good luck in your repairs.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:44 AM   #3

Fleetwood Discovery Wiring Schematic

Second on contracting Fleetwood customer service. I asked for a battery wiring diagram, and they sent me not only that, but a complete wiring schematic.
Great service!

GM
GreyMountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:09 PM   #4

I sent you a PM.
mgosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Another Discovery Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrycad View Post
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I am working on repairing a 2007 Fleetwood Discovery 39L which experienced a fire in the chassis battery compartment ...
We just had a battery explosion in a 2001 Discovery: the owner just showed me a picture of the battery with the side blown completely out. The end of the case was melted.

Has this been a problem with other Discoveries?

The shop is mystified at present. They installed new house batteries, but now the chassis is unpowered (Freightliner).
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:27 AM   #6

I don't know if this is a common problem for Discovery or not as this is the first time I have encountered this issue. I examined everything as I was removing the damaged sections and did not find anything that was the cause. I appreciate all the suggestions. I am contacting Fleetwood and Freightliner today for more information. I had the engine running last night, but my problem now is that there is no power to the Allison keypad so I cannot shift into gear.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:21 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
Has this been a problem with other Discoveries?
I have been on the Discovery Owners forum for over 9 years and there has never been a report of any battery fire reported that I have seen.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pictures

I have several pictures. I can post them here or you can send me a PM and I'll send them to your email.

Muddypaws
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oops

Sorry, I was wrong. I don't have the pictures anymore. Apparently I deleted the pictures I took when I finished replacing my house batteries.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:57 AM   #10

We have found the issue with the transmission control and corrected it. Yesterday we were able to drive the coach around the parking lot and everything seems to function ok. Now we will proceed with actual repairs. Any photos of the area would be appreciated. My email is: larrycad@yahoo.com
Old 12-15-2011, 07:02 PM   #11

We had a minor setback to our repair efforts yesterday. When we got the engine started and moved the coach around, we noticed a large puddle of diesel fuel on the ground. Checking today, we found a spin on fuel filter way up on the passenger side of the Cat engine that was rusted out and leaking. We almost could not see this particular filter, and could barely touch it. We took a panel out from the floor of the rear closet and from there we could see the filter and actually touch it. We still have not been able to get a proper tool on the filter to get it off. We tried 4 different filter wrenches and for various reasons, none worked. Two of us worked on this for 3 hours today with no progress. I'm certain that this particular filter has not been changed in the 4 years this coach has been in existence. It concerns me that if this leak had developed while traveling on the road, fuel would have sprayed on the engine, and a major breakdown, or even worse, would have occurred. Anyone familiar with this particular filter and can offer any help?
Old 12-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
try drivin a screwdriver through it to turn it with. crude, but works. my daddy was in the navy n he always told me "any port in a storm".

WORKHORSE W-22
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:09 PM   #13

Larry I have no specific help, but I advise that you take pictures of you compartments so you know what must be replaced. If it is just wires they should be self evident. On my MH there are other things located near the batteries like a solenoid for automatically charging the house batteries from the alternator and the chassis batteries from the shore power. It is a bit tedious but the wires can be replaced with new ones and the proper connection should be evident from what you see now assuming no one has messed with them.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #14

A while back I posted a picture of a 2007 Discovery which had experienced a battery fire and which I was fixing up. Here are some photos of the battery compartments with most of the work completed.

Here is a "before" photo for those who missed the original post.
Most of the issues have been corrected and I am now taking care of cosmetic issues and will be giving it back to the owners soon.

Tags
fleetwood