Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2015, 09:12 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
2008 Fleetwood Discovery 40X Tire Question!

As many of you know this about me.....If it needs to be repaired or replaced it must be upgraded! lol
So, here is my question. I am ready to replace the tires on our beloved "HogNest". My current tire size is 275/75R 22.5 the brand is GoodYear.
They have worn well and served us without issue, they are not worn out or dry rotted from what I can see but, they are getting old so......here I am.
I am wondering if I should step up to 295 or 305 for better stability, ride and appearance. I noticed the Newmar Dutch Star runs a 305 tire.
I know that the clearence between the rear duals is the biggest concern that they don't touch but what are the other fears in buying a much larger tire? What other benefits come with a larger tire?
I really want to do this but, I don't want to make a mistake. Please advise my friends! Thank You!!
Craig N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2015, 09:26 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I put the 305/70 Michelins on the front of our Dutch Star for more weight capacity since Newmar changed the front axle to a 14,600# unit from the OEM 12,000# axle. Bought Alcoa wheels from a truck wrecking yard and then had them polished.
Left the rears as 275/70's since I didn't need more capacity there.
And yes the tires did catch the fiberglass flares if the wheel was not straight ahead and the air was down. Did it once late last year but it wasn't too bad.
The 305's are only about ½" bigger than the 275/70's BUT the wider wheel width/offset/tire width was enough to cause the interference.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:22 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Glad you asked this question Craig, had the same thoughts myself. Once you figure it out, please let me know the answer, wanting to do the same.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:38 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Craig,
Are you sure this isn't an excuse for raised white letter tires?
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:11 PM   #5

Craig,

You are already pretty well tired for the weights of your coach, I think. The max loading on those tires is (pulling this from memory) something like 7,500 pounds single/ 6,750 dual.

So just on tire loading, that's something like 15,000 front and 25,500 rear... which is likely 3-5,000 pounds more than the axles on your coach. So, in other words, at max axle weights, you are only at 85% of the tire load capability.

Not sure if I'd start messing with adjusting clearances and things if that's the case...

Steve
Old 05-12-2015, 08:58 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian-nicola View Post
Craig,
Are you sure this isn't an excuse for raised white letter tires?
Hey Brian......do you think they have them in Raised White Letters??
hmmmmm that could be cool looking! lol
I was actually thinking maybe a smoother ride, better looking (more Beefy) you know what I mean Brian?
Hey how are the wheels coming along?
Old 05-12-2015, 09:02 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks Guys!
I think I am going to call Freightliner in the morning and see what they have to say on the subject. I am not even sure they will fit my wheels (width).
I will let you know what they think!
Old 05-13-2015, 12:35 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I replaced my Goodyears on my 40E almost 1 year ago, no cracking, but they followed every seam in the road, seemed like the bounced somewhat, and the ride was a bit harsh. I went with Hankook's all the way around and what a difference. No more following seams in the pavement, and a much better ride.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:38 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Replaced our OEM Goodyear tires (same as yours) last week. Talking to the tire people, he indicated a significant concern with changing widths would be maintaining a proper gap between the rear pairs and recommended against it. Didn't discuss larger size.

We installed Michelins because that is what he carries. The Goodyears seemed to be in great shape with 7 years and little evident tread wear, they rode well and looked great. But too old for our comfort. We didn't notice much ride or steering difference during the first 400+ miles this week. But our comfort level is much higher, knowing we needn't have any concern about older tires (new ones are 4 months out of the factory).

I'd be very reluctant to change, at least not without a go-ahead from Freightliner.
Home base now in Kerrville TX
Al n Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:01 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Try these Craig

Old 05-13-2015, 11:04 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Oh God,,,don't give Craig idea's.... he will want them in chrome and raised white letters!

Craig, first trip out this w'end, all materials in hand and beer in fridge for operation "keep up with Craig's wheels"
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 08:33 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Too Funny Tim.....those are not really up my alley but, I am sure that Randy Blasé has considered them! LOL

Operation "keep up with Craig's Wheels".......too funny Brian!! I will be anxiously waiting to see how they turn out!!
I contacted Freightliner this morning and they were very political in their answers.....so much that he actually began laughing at his own responses and pretty soon he had me laughing at how much he sounded like a politician!!
They don't consider an upgrade in size as a good idea due to turn radius, wheel well and body acceptance. He said he certainly would not do that.
I asked about longevity....no response.... I asked about replacing with Hankook......no response..... I asked about Goodyear quality these days....no response.....

My thoughts have turned to staying with the same size as factory and now I am considering Hankook replacements due to the overwhelming research on IRV2.com and a couple other forums.
What do you guys think?? Hankook??
Old 05-14-2015, 08:36 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
I replaced my Goodyears on my 40E almost 1 year ago, no cracking, but they followed every seam in the road, seemed like the bounced somewhat, and the ride was a bit harsh. I went with Hankook's all the way around and what a difference. No more following seams in the pavement, and a much better ride.
So, you really like the Hankook's?? I have researched a lot of forums and sites and they all seem to lean toward Hankook as well.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:43 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Think when I go with new shoes, going with either Toyo or Hankook, have used both on my work trucks for year and have had good results with both.

I was more interested in a height increase as opposed to a width increase, did you get any indication if it was just a width issue Freightliner did not like, or did they have a problem with height as well?
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood