Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2014, 04:33 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
2008 Fleetwood Discovery Wood Used

Hi Guys,

I am trying to find out what type of wood that Fleetwood used to make my 2008 cabinets....I am doing some work and my cabinet maker is trying to figure out the wood type. I have called and left two messages at Fleetwood and still have not heard back from them. I Thought maybe someone here might know.

Thank You as Always!!
Craig
Craig N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Craig--do you have the brochure for your coach? It may have the wood/stain color selection. If you don't have it, check out the sticky at the top of this section for your brochure.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:11 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi Sarah,

Thank You, I actually know the stain color to be Plantation Cherry, I am trying to find what the actual wood is. My builder said he can match the interior perfectly if he knows what type of wood it is.
Getting frustrated trying to figure it out.....lol
Craig N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:25 PM   #4

look for a print out

Hi Graig and Deb,

I think you should have a good look through all your wardrobe's and you may find a print out pasted on one of the side or back wall's with all the specific's of your coach's upholsteries, stain, paint, WOOD, trim-type and color, counters etc.
We purchased a Fleetwood American Eagle (2000) recently and have one in ours.
I have seen them in many other coaches in our search in the last year so I imagine you should have one!
If not, take a picture of a door or drawer in "natural light" with a good camera?
and post here, you'd be amazed how many accurate responses you will get!
I know it's not 100% foolproof.

Hope that helps

Regards,
Ed
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:33 AM   #5

I have an 02' discovery and I think the wood is maple. On mine just the doors and drawer fronts are wood and the cabenet bodies are vinered engineered wood. I have the same stain as yours and whenever I replace a trim or cabinet part I duplicate it with walnut. The walnut with just clear laquer comes out the same color. I made a tressle style table to replace my booth and used solid walnut but used automotive clearcoat for the rugged finish.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #6

I just looked at the flyer for a 2008 Excursion. For some reason the Discovery isn't listed in the Fleetwood archive. Based on the not-detailed description I would interpret your cabinet doors to be Cherry wood with a stain to be called Plantation Cherry. Birch was another option and so on.

My cabinets were described by Fleetwood as Clear White Maple and are. The Cherry avail on my rev was indeed cherry.

So, I would assume it is cherry. A cabinet guy should be able to confirm that by looking at it. He then has to match the stain. I did this in my stick home and it takes some trial and error. I found a paint shop that did a custom stain blend. I left them with a few raw wood samples and an existing cabinet door to play with.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Here's the 08 Discovery Brochure.

http://fleetwoodrv.com/frvlibrary/do.../2008_di_b.pdf

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #8

Wood Type of Fleetwood Plantation Cherry Cabinets

After a little experimentation with Poplar and Alder I determined the doors are made of Alder (at least for the 2006 diesel pushers). You can achieve a perfect match using two to three coats of MinWax cherry stain (235) followed with a satin finish. The cabinet frames appear to be made of Philippine mahogany plywood wrapped with a cherry look vinyl contact paper.

When trying to determine which wood the doors were made of I started with Poplar as it is relatively inexpensive (assuming the manufacturers go for the cheapest hardwood they can get). I could get a pretty close color match but not quite. After sanding off a cabinet door that I am making wider (making the pantry usable through enlargement) I could see the Poplar wood was lighter in color and had a somewhat different grain. I then got a piece of alder which is a little darker. The color and grain were an exact match to the door.

So why do they use alder which is roughly 2 to 3 times more expensive than poplar? I'm guessing because it is lighter in weight and keeping weight down in a motorhome is important. This would also explain why the Philippine mahogany plywood is used for the cabinet faces rather than OSB (particle board). It is lighter and stronger. I discovered they are made of the plywood when I enlarged the pantry opening.
navigator336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #9

I am not sure if there is a particular reason for wood choice in motor homes, but in my cabinet experience alder is quite common as it is inexpensive , and can be stained almost any color, poplar is a popular paint grade wood, as it is strong, but does not stain very well and also usually has huge color variations ranging from white to black to green.

Joe 1998 Itasca Sunflyer Ford 460
Annierufus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood