Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #1

2008 Providence a/c info wanted

I have a 2008 providence with a forward a/c problem. I have had no problems with cooling and heating since purchasing the coach 2 years ago. The front unit stopped cooling on my last trip. Rear works fine. I took the shroud off the unit and discovered it is a heat pump. I checked the rear and it is also a heat pump. I do not believe that the heat function is wired in on these models as there is no selection on the thermostat for heat pump. When I set the control on heat it goes to the furnace. I believe the problem is severe enough to warrant replacement. I want to replace it with a standard Coleman Mach 15 which is not a heat pump. Does anyone know why fleetwood installed heat pumps in these units and would there be a problem with my idea of a replacement? Any help much appreciated!
jsim111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #2

You're jumping to conclusions too quickly.
Find out why it's not cooling first. Is the compressor even kicking on?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:11 AM   #3

The compressor is running, blower runs but it will not cool. The line between the condenser and the evaporator freezes while running. It looks like the reversing valve is malfunctioning. All the electrical checks ok. There is no leaking of freon/oil. The compressor is not laboring. I am assuming something is plugged in the cap tubes at the reversing valve. Given the cost of a new unit vs the cost of tearing into the existing unit (and hoping that the debris that caused the problem can be removed during repair) I am leaning towards a new top unit.
I am curious why my coach has both front and rear a/c heat pumps but they are configured to run cooling only. I see no reason to replace the front unit with the more expensive heat pump (along with more chances of problems). The replacement standard unit is $600. It seems to me going this way is safer than spending money tearing into the sealed unit to attempt repair
Any opinions will be considered!
Old 05-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #4

no reason to stay with a heat pump unless you want that feature. We do it all the time, if they never use heat pump then why spend the extra money. Now that being said, I really like using mine. When we stay at a park with power it's nice to use when just some heat is needed and since we're on park power I'd rather use the power versus my propane & we don't have to drag out the portable heaters.
InfinityJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #5

What is your temp swap between intake and exhaust, and what is the amp draw of the compressor after fifteen minutes running? When you take those readings, what is ambient outside temp.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #6

As far as using the heat function on the a/c' I cannot find a way to turn it on. I will have to look into it when I am back out at the park I have the coach in. Come to think of it I have not checked the mode button when I turn on the heat. If the mode button has a heat pump provision I will replace the heat pump with a like unit. I agree that if the power is available why waste propane.
As far as trouble shooting, when feeling the low and high side tubes on the compressor, there is not a lot of difference in temp. The freezing in the tube between the condenser and evaporator suggests reverse flow (heat mode). The compressor is not laboring so it may be partially circulating freon through the reversing valve bypassing the cap tube.
I will have to take a trip to the coach and see if it does have a heat pump mode.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsim111 View Post
As far as using the heat function on the a/c' I cannot find a way to turn it on. I will have to look into it when I am back out at the park I have the coach in. Come to think of it I have not checked the mode button when I turn on the heat. If the mode button has a heat pump provision I will replace the heat pump with a like unit. I agree that if the power is available why waste propane.
As far as trouble shooting, when feeling the low and high side tubes on the compressor, there is not a lot of difference in temp. The freezing in the tube between the condenser and evaporator suggests reverse flow (heat mode). The compressor is not laboring so it may be partially circulating freon through the reversing valve bypassing the cap tube.
I will have to take a trip to the coach and see if it does have a heat pump mode.
Sounds like the unit could be just low on charge. (evap. freeze-up) It may be worth the $50 to buy a AC gage manifold and check the low/high side pressures.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #8

It is a sealed unit. No service fittings exist to monitor the pressures. I took all of the shrouds off and could find no trace of compressor oil. It went from working well to the state it is in. There was no slow loss of cooling capabilities.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #9

Just curious when in heat mode do you have a option for gas or electric?
Old 05-06-2014, 03:11 PM   #10

I have to determine that on my next trip to the coach. I have always relied on the furnace. I neglected to push the mode button when I selected heat.
When heat was selected it defaulted to the furnace.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:14 PM   #11

Your coach should have the same control as mine, as mine is a 2008. Do you have mode options when you select heat?
Old 05-06-2014, 05:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsim111 View Post
Your coach should have the same control as mine, as mine is a 2008. Do you have mode options when you select heat?
Yes, gas or electric. It's my understanding that a lot of units don't come with a front heat pump but mine did.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:22 PM   #13

Thanks for the info. I will be stopping by the coach later this month and I will attempt to turn the a/c heat function on and see if switching to heat might give me more info on my problem.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:41 PM   #14

I went back to the coach and determined that the amp draw was only half the normal amount. The jumper in the relay box was not set for heat pump so i changed it. I ended up triggering the reversing valve with a 12 volt battery pack and no change in amp draw was noted. It made no difference in the cooling either. The thermostat was not programmed for heat pump also. I strongly suspected compressor valve problems so I ordered a new unit. I ordered an SD (scratch & dented) unit from Adventurerv and upon arrival the unit was unusable because the pan and compressor mounting area were severely deformed. The compressor was leaning about 20 degrees toward the condenser. It took my helper and me 3 man hours to beat the pan into shape with a 2x4 and ball peen hammer. We installed the unit and everything is as it should be. I will attempt to try the heat pump when it cools down in the fall.
I would be weary of ordering items from Adventurerv after my experience.