Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2015, 04:53 PM   #1

2010 Bounder Engine Battery charging

Is the engine battery get charged when you are plugged into shore power? I thought it was being charged in the past. Now I run down the engine battery when lowering and raising the windshield curtain. I don't remember this happening last year when we staid in Naples for three months.
novi2some is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2015, 05:53 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
According to the Owner's manual, pg 8-2, House and chassis batteries charge on engine alternator AND on shore power through the converter.
http://fleetwoodrv.com/partsandservi...OUNDER_GAS.pdf

Start by cleaning all battery connections and check for charging voltage (+13.4v) on both battery groups while engine running and on shore power.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:25 PM   #3

I am getting over 13.2V on the house batteries but not on the engine battery while on shore power.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:25 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by novi2some View Post
I am getting over 13.2V on the house batteries but not on the engine battery while on shore power.
You chassis battery should also charge when on shore power. It's been a Bounder design feature for over twenty years. This is accomplished through the isolator relay in the BCC.

Can you check to see if the HOUSE batteries charge from the engine alternator. If they DON"T, the problem is with the relay itself. If they do, then the problem is in the charge sensing circuitry.

Let me know if you can read a wiring schematic and follow trouble shooting instructions, and I can provide a document that will lead you to your problem.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:24 AM   #5

Yes, Old Bounder, I can read electric diagrams and should be able to follow steps to diagnose. The engine battery does get charged by the engine alternator.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:13 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Yes, Old Bounder, I can read electric diagrams and should be able to follow steps to diagnose. The engine battery does get charged by the engine alternator.
You misread my question. I asked if the engine alternator charged the HOUSE (AUX) batteries in addition to the engine battery. If it does, (since that uses the same relay points that would be used in charging the engine battery from the shore power converter) it would point you to the circuitry, and away from the relay itself. No matter, here's the document that I promised.

Read the first pages to determine which version (release) of the BCC that you have. The document will lead you through the various tests for BCC functions.

Anything else I can do, just let me know.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:49 AM   #7

You are right. I did not read your reply correctly. I will check it out with the engine running. I will let you know. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2015, 08:39 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Same problem for me. Tagging along to see the fix. Cassis no charge on shore power. House no charge when engine running. JD
Hogbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:42 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogbus View Post
Same problem for me. Tagging along to see the fix. Cassis no charge on shore power. House no charge when engine running. JD
Jeff, click on the link that I provided in my last reply, and see if it helps you find your problem.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Old Bounder. If I read this correctly My aux start switch needs to be working for all the charging to work. I hit the aux start switch and it does not appear to be working. i couldn't hear anything. I kept the switch down for at least 15 seconds.. Now what to? Pull a fuse in the BCC. Which one. Thanks. JD
Hogbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:19 PM   #11

I ran the test.
With the engine running, main battery at 14.3v and aux battery at 13.29.
On shore power and engine off, main at 12.8 and aux at 13.5.
No shore power and engine off, main at 12.8 and aux at 13.2.
Looks like no charging to the aux battery on shore power.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:07 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogbus View Post
Old Bounder. If I read this correctly My aux start switch needs to be working for all the charging to work. I hit the aux start switch and it does not appear to be working. i couldn't hear anything. I kept the switch down for at least 15 seconds.. Now what to? Pull a fuse in the BCC. Which one. Thanks. JD
Jeff, the troubleshooting procedure for testing your Aux Start switch function is on the fifth page of that document. Fuse #17 is critical to that function.

The test procedures continue on page six. If the switch works, but the charging doesn't, your circuit board is probably defective.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:19 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I ran the test.
With the engine running, main battery at 14.3v and aux battery at 13.29.
On shore power and engine off, main at 12.8 and aux at 13.5.
No shore power and engine off, main at 12.8 and aux at 13.2.
Looks like no charging to the aux battery on shore power.
You are getting charge voltage from the alternator to your engine battery (witness the 14.3 volts)

You are getting charge voltage from the converter to the House batteries on shore power (witness the 13.5 volts)

What you are NOT getting is charging through the isolator/charge/aux start relay as designed. The test procedure for Aux Start switch function starts on page 5 of the document and continues to page six.

If the Aux Start relay works, and you still get no charging from the alternate sources, the circuit board is probably defective.

If fuse 17 is good and the relay still doesn't close, the relay (solenoid is probably bad.

This relay is located behind the circuit board in the BCC. Replace it with a continuous duty type solenoid from any auto parts store.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:41 PM   #14

About the Aux Start switch you mentioned. When I discovered the engine battery was below 12v and would not start the engine, I toggled the Aux Start, heard nothing and I could not start the engine. Seems like I was not able to use the Aux Start feature to start the engine.

Tags
battery, bounder, charging