Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #1

2011 32v southwind toad question

We have a 2011 Southwind 32V. Looking for the best toad situation. We own a 2008 Saturn Outlook AWD okay to tow 4 whls down. Question is of course weight. Outlook weighs 4700,,MH rated at 5000,,hence my problem. We would be over the limit with fuel etc..has anybody else pushed this boundry,,,
ernsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2012, 10:20 AM   #2

You should not have a problem people do it all the time especially the one not adding the weight of their tow dolly. Your only problem might be stopping quick are you using auxillary braking. I triple tow so I use a10,000 lb tow bar.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Community Administrator

You might be ok , however if you should have an accident any lawyer worth his salt will point out the fact that you are over the legal limit and probably win the case against you IMO.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #4

If you know it weighs 4700, I would go for it. Regarding fuel load, figure it out. Gas weighs 6lb or so per gallon. That's a lot of gas required to put you over gross....
Old 08-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
You might be ok , however if you should have an accident any lawyer worth his salt will point out the fact that you are over the legal limit and probably win the case against you IMO.
What if it was their fault,which I am way under my limit and they had minimum coverage for a minimum price would you not end up owning their house,cars and everything they owned. That's why I have plenty to cover my loses but that does mean I have to us it. So the moral to the story to the story you can sue or be sued by anyone.
Old 08-25-2012, 03:12 PM   #6

JMHO, but "people do it all the time" is not the answer I'd be looking for.

Work the numbers, the tow rating is the lower of:

1. GCWR minus RV's actual weight (if it's not over GVWR).

2. Hitch capacity.

3. Coach tow rating.

4. Chassis maker's tow rating.

Tags
southwind, toad