Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2016, 05:49 AM   #1

2011 Fleetwood Storm.....leans to the right

I went to pull my RV out of storage to do a hydraulic fluid change as I discussed in a previous thread, and I noticed walking up to it directly from the front that the body had a "lean" to the right.....meaning the driver's side would be sitting a bit higher than the passenger side if sitting in the driver's seat. The RV is completely unloaded/empty with about 3/4 tank of gas and that's about it. I first thought it was sitting on unlevel ground, but that's not the case. The ground was pretty level.

Any other owners notice this?

Maybe unrelated.....maybe not. Later that day, while I was dinking around with the water system, I filled my grey water tank. When I went to dump the grey tank water, it would only empty half way, leaving the tank half full.
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2016, 06:44 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Have you weighted the RV, getting all 4 corner weights? It's not unusual for a manufacturer to built with little regard to balance, they are more concerned with fitting everything in than side to side weights. You could also measure the difference side to side and check your front and rear springs.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Have you weighted the RV, getting all 4 corner weights? It's not unusual for a manufacturer to built with little regard to balance, they are more concerned with fitting everything in than side to side weights. You could also measure the difference side to side and check your front and rear springs.
No, I haven't weighed the RV. Where would I go where I could weigh the weight on each wheel like that?
Old 04-15-2016, 09:19 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Where are you located? Many grain silos, feed stores, truck stops, etc. have scales. You have to find one that has enough width at the scale to roll one side of one axle on the scale at a time. You might also check highway weigh stations, when closed the scales and a display are often visible to weigh your RV yourself. State Police also might be able to help.

Bob & Donna
Old 04-15-2016, 09:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Where are you located? Many grain silos, feed stores, truck stops, etc. have scales. You have to find one that has enough width at the scale to roll one side of one axle on the scale at a time. You might also check highway weigh stations, when closed the scales and a display are often visible to weigh your RV yourself. State Police also might be able to help.
Cool. I had no idea there were scales like that where I could just roll my RV up and take the weights. I'm in the NW suburbs of IL, and I know I've seen some scales on the highways here and there. I'll take a look around or if someone in the area happens to know of one that I can drive to, I'll go.

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:06 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Head out west from you down hwy 72, there are a couple little towns with grain silos that have scales you can roll up on 24 hours a day. PM me and ill tell you the exact town. Dont want lines of rv's at my scales. LOL
Old 04-16-2016, 03:46 PM   #7

Thanks all. I'll crawl around underneath it and see if I can find anything obvious. If not, I'll head off to the scales to weigh the weight on each wheel.
Old 04-16-2016, 04:14 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Once you get the corner weights, you can look up your tire manufacturer's website and find the proper pressures for the weight each tire is carrying. You'll get a smoother ride. The pressures are often too high as it comes to you.

Bob & Donna
Old 04-17-2016, 08:38 AM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
Of course, you only need to weigh each axle and the tires on one side... the other side can be extrapolated.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:15 PM   #10

We have a 2010 Encounter 32BH (same exact model as your Storm, Fleetwood was sued and had to change the name.) Ours is several hundred pounds heavier on the passenger front side. It has the propane tank, 3 batteries, refrigerator, and 1 slide sitting above the rear wheels (though mostly behind.) Driver's side has generator and forward slide with kitchen in it. I tried to move as much of the heavier cargo to the driver's side, but it's still heavy on that side.
The previous owner installed a Mor\Ryde air bag suspension upgrade on the front. I think it helps with the ride quality and allows me level out the front. The passenger side airbag requires about 15 psi more pressure than the driver's side, but it rides level.

Like stated before get your weights, adjust your tire pressure (all manufacturers use the same table from the National tire association something-or-another), and check under your rig. If everything checks out and the front end is heavier on that side, look into airbags to level it out and make sure both tires are inflated to the same psi recommended for the heavier side.
Percival6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:22 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fleetwood put a 1in. Spacer under our right rear spring on our 2015 bounder leveled it right up.
sandman7142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:59 AM   #12

Where is the OP going to get EACH WHEEL weighed? Most if not sll scales measure the axle weight.
Do they weight each corner?
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:51 PM   #13

look in front of the rear axle ..make sure the sway arm bushings are in place..this is on the f53 ford chassis..my brother and brother in law.. the bushing were either worn badly or missing..leaning to the right...one has 30K miles and the other 24K one 2003 and the other 2004...
Etkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #14

Good call on the bushings. Check ALL bushings, front and rear.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood