RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2013, 06:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gMw View Post
bruceisla, Our Expedition has two Colman Mach ACs, rear one being an AC/Heat pump. We have no issues with the ACs themselves.
I asked because Dometic with digital T-stat can be run without a remote sensor by unplugging the sensor .... don't know about the Coleman. The Dometic will use the sensor in the T-stat instead of the remote.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2013, 06:38 AM   #16
gMw

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
"I asked because Dometic with digital T-stat can be run without a remote sensor by unplugging the sensor .... don't know about the Coleman. The Dometic will use the sensor in the T-stat instead of the remote."

Thanks for the input, I'm not 100% sure, but am pretty sure that there are no sensors directly mounted on the Digital Thermostat / Controller used in our motorhome.

FYI. The Digital Thermostat / Controller is mounted in the right front overhead compartment, where pretty much all of the various controllers are mounted (Generator, inverter, levelers, tank sensor read outs, etc.).

Thinking back to my 1st trip to Fleetwood Service in Nov of last year, a couple showed us their new Revolution. They were having several improvements/add-ons done to their coach. One of the additions was mounting a fan to vent the left front overhead equipment cabinet.. Fleetwood mounted the fan just above the front temp-sensor, effectively venting both the front and side cabinet. They also had the vent 'screen' extended to cover the entre front cabinet door. I'm thinking this might have 'accidently' helped correct the cool/heat issue with the front temp-sensor.

gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
sensor issues

we have the same problem and are interested in a good solution. we used a fan blowing on the sensor as a temporary fix.
leroy s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy s View Post
we have the same problem and are interested in a good solution. we used a fan blowing on the sensor as a temporary fix.
First, welcome to IRV2!

Second - neat trick! If we can't find a resolution, this may be what we do as well - thanks for the tip!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Had to cancel our trip during which we would have tested the sensor relocation, but will be out on the road in August. Hope to see if this helps resolve the problem.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #20
gMw

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quick Update

All,

We had our motorhome at Fleetwood last week. All of the FW service people were GREAT! I was in the service area often, and they took the time to answer all my questions each and every time, and even used some of my ideas to fix a couple of issues. FW also fixed a couple of things that I didn’t even know needed fixin’!!!

Temperature Sensor (thermistor) Issues - FW took a look at the Front & Rear Temperature Sensor locations:

FW added insulation inside the front cabinet, behind the Temperature Sensor. Sadly this didn’t help the issue, as described by Joe, that occurs in Hot Weather. Namely due to the proximity to the (warm) outside wall the front sensor reflects a higher than actual inside temperature. Once I get home, I’ll take another shot at addressing this problem.

FW relocated the Rear Temperature Sensor, rather than patch the whole from the original location, FW simply ran wires to the new location and added a new sensor, leaving the original sensor in place an un-used. Since there hasn’t been a need to run the gas heat, we not sure the issue is resolved, but we are hopeful that the problem is fixed now.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gMw View Post
All,

We had our motorhome at Fleetwood last week. All of the FW service people were GREAT! I was in the service area often, and they took the time to answer all my questions each and every time, and even used some of my ideas to fix a couple of issues. FW also fixed a couple of things that I didn’t even know needed fixin’!!!

Temperature Sensor (thermistor) Issues - FW took a look at the Front & Rear Temperature Sensor locations:

FW added insulation inside the front cabinet, behind the Temperature Sensor. Sadly this didn’t help the issue, as described by Joe, that occurs in Hot Weather. Namely due to the proximity to the (warm) outside wall the front sensor reflects a higher than actual inside temperature. Once I get home, I’ll take another shot at addressing this problem.

FW relocated the Rear Temperature Sensor, rather than patch the whole from the original location, FW simply ran wires to the new location and added a new sensor, leaving the original sensor in place an un-used. Since there hasn’t been a need to run the gas heat, we not sure the issue is resolved, but we are hopeful that the problem is fixed now.
Thanks for the update George! Nice to see that Fleetwood stands behind their product!

I was afraid that the front sensor/insulation approach may not give the desired results. Still haven't had a chance to hit the road to see if my taking it out of the cabinet makes a difference, but that still doesn't resolve where to locate the sensor - if that's an option..

Where did they relocate the rear sensor? I hope that resolves your issues! Please let us know when you have the chance.

Cheers!

Joe
Old 08-06-2013, 07:29 AM   #22
gMw

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Joe,

The Service team leader, Service Tech, and I discussed relocating the front sensor, but there didn’t seem to be a good location to relocate it to. What I’m finding is on hot sunny days the entire front section of the motorhome heats up, so there isn’t a good location in the front. Within just a couple of feet from the front, it’s cooler. Specifically, when the front temp sensor indicates 80 degs, the temp ~ 8 ft away was 69 degs. Wiring wise, it might be a big job to relocate the sensor to a location on the full wall slide. Wonder if there’s a wireless remote temp sensor available….

FW moved the rear sensor to the side of the bedroom TV cabinet, mounting it low and as far from the TV as possible. So far, so good running the rear AC.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi George,

Thanks for the details. A wireless sensor would be great, but not sure how it would integrate into the current A/C thermostat system. That could generate issues in and of itself, but, I'd love to hear from anyone who has tried this and succeeded.

I'll see if I can find the wiring for the rear thermostat sensor - if so, should be relatively easy to add another one as described.

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #24

Relize that this is an old thread but thought I'd add my 2 cents worth.

My O7 Discovery has TWO AC/Heat pumps.

Open the return air plenum on each AC. You should see a control board with a green LED on it in each AC. The temp sensors are wired to the control board in each AC unit (labeled room), NOT the thermostat. If zone 1 sensor is disconnected the temp sensor in the thermostat will be used.

When that thermostat is first powered up is "looks" to see how many AC units are connected to it. It can control up to 4 AC uints if it sees them. The control board located in the AC has two jumpers on it, 1st jumper sets the zone, the 2nd jumper set just AC or AC/Heat Pump.

If BOTH AC units are jumpered as zone 1 the thermostat will run BOTH ac's at the same time.

I'm thinking about adding some heat strips to my units. I have been resurching my optins andran across lots of information on my configuration.

I also found information on the sensors,

Locate on an inside wall about 5 feet above the floor. Pick a dry area where circulation is good, but not in line with exterior doors.

Do not install where there are unusual heating conditions ; Such as direct sunlite, heat producing appliances (TV, radio, wall lamps, etc.) or a furnace/air conditioner supply air register.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:52 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks for all the information! I'll check it out - but probably not until next spring. our rig is winterized, and the temps are down into the high teens already overnight, with snow in the forecast.

Our A/C units don't have heat strips - would be nice if they did. We use small electric/ceramic heaters to warm things up when we are plugged into shore power.

Unfortunately, Fleetwood placed the sensor inside a cabinet over the driver's left side - an outside wall with electronic equipment in it that gives off heat. NOT the best location. Since I've pulled the sensor out of that box and taped it to the driver's side reading lamp (never used), the sensor is more accurate in keeping the coach at the temperature we set on the thermostat. There could have been a far better placement by Fleetwood...
Old 11-07-2014, 10:20 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
I relocated my front sensor around the corner in the same front cabinet. It now is close to the reading lamp connection. Not an ideal fix but it did make a difference since it pulled it away from exposure to the slide. When I was parked with the driver's side facing west, the afternoon sun would really heat up the slide. Using a digital temp sensor to check the difference, the new location dropped ambient temps by 6 degrees.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim28730 View Post
I relocated my front sensor around the corner in the same front cabinet. It now is close to the reading lamp connection. Not an ideal fix but it did make a difference since it pulled it away from exposure to the slide. When I was parked with the driver's side facing west, the afternoon sun would really heat up the slide. Using a digital temp sensor to check the difference, the new location dropped ambient temps by 6 degrees.
Hi Jim,

Thanks for the information. You're right about trying to relocate the sensor anywhere else. Tough to do. As in-elegant as may be both technically and esthetically, the solution I came up with is shown in the attached mage. Remove the screws from the sensor and then tape it to the driver's side reading light. It helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sensor.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	78633  
Old 11-13-2014, 03:42 PM   #28

My setup the sensors are connected directly to the boards in the return air duct work.

Also located heat strips (mine had none) that screw-in and connect to a plug on the board. Just screw it into place & plug it in. $40/pop. I do understand that the heat pumps are worthless below 32. Just nice to have that extra electric heat strip. I also have two small ceramic heaters.

On the subject of AC's & Heat pumps.....

Was just talking to a guy that owns an 06 H.R.
He told me his rear AC quit on him & the dealer here in S.W. NH. threw about 1500.00 in parts & still could not figure out what was wrong. Owner of the coach walked up to the techs & asked if they even tried to troubleshoot before ordering parts! He assisted in some trouble shooing & found the sensor wire, the wire that connects the AC's to the thermostat was broken between AC 1 & AC 2!!!
jumped a wire between the two and all was back to normal!

mchero is offline   Reply With Quote