Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2015, 05:27 PM   #1

2013 Fleetwood Storm - steering stabilizer.

Hi All. I purchased a 2013 Storm 28ms late in the fall. I didn't get too much of a chance to drive it any distance. However the short distance I did drive it, the steering seemed to be a bit loose. Looser than I am used to. Someone had suggested that I install a 'steering stabilizer. What are your thoughts on this? What type do you suggest? Do you have any experience with these? Thanks in advance.

Joe
caser41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2015, 05:41 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Before you make the modification check your owners manual; Fleetwood has restrictions on certain after market add-ons. Why not have the dealer take a look at what the immediate cause of the lose steering is?
lfdeluca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:13 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I feel the same way with my bounder. I think its not necessarily a mechanical problem with it being loose as my coach is brand new. I think what both of us are saying is that it just takes less pressure on the wheel to move the front end than we are accustomed to on other vehicles and perhaps a steering stabilizer would create a firmer feel. I was wonder ing if a steering stabilizer would accomplish that as well.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by caser41 View Post
Hi All. I purchased a 2013 Storm 28ms late in the fall. I didn't get too much of a chance to drive it any distance. However the short distance I did drive it, the steering seemed to be a bit loose. Looser than I am used to. Someone had suggested that I install a 'steering stabilizer. What are your thoughts on this? What type do you suggest? Do you have any experience with these? Thanks in advance.

Joe
Since you have a high rear overhang ratio a rear track bar may improve your steering better than steering stabilizer (did for me). Also try to find the sweet spot for your front tire pressures. (guessing 80-85psi)
Old 01-14-2015, 10:14 PM   #5

Hello Everyone. Thanks for the replies. After talking with a few other Motorhome owners, I believe there is nothing wrong mechanically. It just that I am not use to the steering on a Motorhome. Some sort of stabilizer will give me the tightness that I am used to. Anyways I will keep on researching it. And hopefully others will weigh in on this subject. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:58 AM   #6

I have a 32 ft Storm and I too have some worries about the steering ,It is flapping too much .This is my first motor home as I used to pull a fifth wheel .
I find it hard to believe this is standards .the steering rub on the plastic paneling and create a dust of wear from the excessive rubing .

When hitting holes in the street the break pedal is very noisy too
find my self holding it up to stop hearing it

the unit has only 15,000 miles ,I doubt it is normal wear

anyone found a fix to solve this ?

I am thinking adding 4 air bags in hope to make this problem solve
anyone did this and can let me know what it did ?
gridfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:36 PM   #7

I have an older 32' Fleetwood that steered loosely and installed a Bilsteen steering stabelizer. I can now drive down the road using one hand. It was quite an improvement.
mikeh2obury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by caser41 View Post

Joe
First thing I did after a my long drive home from the dealer was investigate a front steering stabilizer. For my money I went with the RoadMaster. It didn't break the bank and made a difference. I also did the CHF which helped the rear sway as well.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:33 PM   #9

I decided to install 4 air bags .I ordered a set up on ebay for around 11000,00$ I am not sure if my problem is what others have
It steer amazing and all is perfect .the only thing is the knocking in rough road ,I hope for a softer ride
I got control for all 4 independent bags with gauges inside
I will post pics if anyone care for it when I install it in 2 weeks
Old 01-19-2015, 05:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridfighter View Post
I decided to install 4 air bags .I ordered a set up on ebay for around 11000,00$ I am not sure if my problem is what others have
It steer amazing and all is perfect .the only thing is the knocking in rough road ,I hope for a softer ride
I did the air bags with little to no ride improvement. (I installed the air bags to level the RV side to side)
I best thing I did to improve the ride comfort was replace the front Bilstein shocks with Koni's. The Koni's are a heavier/stronger non gas charged type shock. http://www.jegs.com/i/Koni/610/8805-1018/10002/-1
Old 01-19-2015, 06:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
I did the air bags with little to no ride improvement. (I installed the air bags to level the RV side to side)
I best thing I did to improve the ride comfort was replace the front Bilstein shocks with Koni's. The Koni's are a heavier/stronger non gas charged type shock. Koni 8805-1018, Koni FSD Shocks & Suspension Kits | Koni
well that is not what i had hope to hear
the work i will have to go through to get this done has to give rewards
I will be disappointed to find no improvement .
on a other thread i read someone mentioning how much softer it was and he should have done it earlier Not sure what he drive while you drive a identical unit so the shocks will be next if needed
thank for your input
Old 01-19-2015, 07:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
I best thing I did to improve the ride comfort was replace the front Bilstein shocks with Koni's. The Koni's are a heavier/stronger non gas charged type shock. Koni 8805-1018, Koni FSD Shocks & Suspension Kits | Koni
I just ordered a set of the Koni shocks. I'm going to give them a try and see if I notice a difference. I would like to improve the front end a little more. I notice on occasion my front end can get pushed around a little when passing a big rig. The CHF made a difference on the rear as I noticed a nice improvement.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:07 PM   #13

Hello usinvestment. I notice you pull a kia soul toad. Do you pull it 4 wheels down? Is it a manual? How does it pull?
thanks
Joe
Old 01-19-2015, 11:12 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gridfighter View Post
11000,00$ ? WOW, that's expensive!!!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, steering