Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #1

2013 Storm 32BH Suspension Upgrades

Folks I am RV newbie considering the purchase of a Used 2013 Fleetwood storm 32bh (on a F-53 190' platform)

Questions after test drive: Comparing to the Jayco Precept. We drove the rig on a busy interstate and down a secondary two lane, road we notice a good bit of the following.

Road bounce (up and down) and Sway (Left to right)
front to back wave or roll, often called “porpsing”

After doing some reading here I notice in general there are 2 type of upgrades available.
- Control Measures - Meant to reduce sway, wag, etc.
- Comfort measures - Meant to smooth the ride and reduce the total fatigue on the driver.

What would you recommend if I have a budget of about 3k budget to smooth out the ride in a preparation for some cross country trekking?
scoudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2014, 08:53 PM   #2

If it is a F-53 chassis by all means move the fr & Rear sway bars to the inner hole and I added a trac bar in the rear, & Bilstein shocks and I now can drive as long a day as I wish without getting tired, worked for us-Rich
pauperspride.blogspot.com
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:31 PM   #3

Red face

Thanks for the advice I'll take it under consideration.
scoudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:17 AM   #4

I did my suspension upgrades in my signature for around $1500...including the alignment. (Add around $400 for the Tune)
Old 01-02-2015, 05:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoudi View Post
Folks I am RV newbie considering the purchase of a Used 2013 Fleetwood storm 32bh (on a F-53 190' platform)

Questions after test drive: Comparing to the Jayco Precept. We drove the rig on a busy interstate and down a secondary two lane, road we notice a good bit of the following.

Road bounce (up and down) and Sway (Left to right)
front to back wave or roll, often called “porpsing”

After doing some reading here I notice in general there are 2 type of upgrades available.
- Control Measures - Meant to reduce sway, wag, etc.
- Comfort measures - Meant to smooth the ride and reduce the total fatigue on the driver.

What would you recommend if I have a budget of about 3k budget to smooth out the ride in a preparation for some cross country trekking?

Had to do this on a short coach I use to have. The wheel base ratio was really bad like 47 more or less. It was pretty terrible to drive.

I did the cheap handling fix, upgrade to koni shocks, and got a rear trac bar for it.

All totaled probably looking closer to 1500 depending on the labor situation, but I could 1 hand it with a jeep in tow afterwards.

The koni shocks really made the biggest overall difference. They are just so smooth, and seem to work really well for the lighter coach over the bilstein.

All that said I've never driven a Storm, but those 3 things combined made me not hate driving my old coach..

You can get the shocks and the trac bar from Brazel's. If they are out of shocks koni sells direct.

Good luck!
Brandonrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension, upgrade