Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2016, 04:30 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
2014 Bounder copilot seat replacement

Just after the 1 year warranty expired we noticed that the coating on the copilot seat seemed to start peeling off, not the main fabric just the coating. We have never used any cleaners on the seat and the drivers seat is just fine. We contacted FW parts and got a quote for a complete seat (over $1.2K with shipping) or a new cover (just over $500).

The question is has anyone actually replaced the cover on these seats and how difficult is it?

Attached pictures of the seat cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0926.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	127513   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0927.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	384.6 KB
ID:	127514  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 07:58 PM   #2

I would contact the manufacture and see if they might stand behind it. If that doesn't work try an upholsterer and see what it would cost to recover it. They should be able to match the fabric.

good luck

pointrow
Old 05-20-2016, 09:11 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2014 Bounder copilot seat replacement

According to Flexsteels website their warranty is 3-5 years for fabric depending on the type. I would definitely give them a call before doing anything.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:46 PM   #4

I have the same issue with my 2014 35K, although it is not as bad as yours yet. Both of my seats are having this issue. I have talked with FW and they sent me to Flexsteel. Flexsteel won't talk to me because I'm not a dealer. I called FW back and told them the response from Flexsteel. FW contacted Flexsteel and they said they would not cover it as it was out of warranty. Good luck with your attempt. Will be interested to see what they do for you.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:22 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great, so now Im waiting for mine to start doing it. Mine are rarely exposed to sun and I have never cleaned them with anything except an occasional vacuum. I would like to know if either of you used any cleaners or protectants and if yours are exposed to the sun quite a bit? Mine are showing no signs of this type of problem and I have 20,000 miles in the seat. Are you noticing it on any of the other furniture as the sofa and dinette are covered in the same material.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:14 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
[QUOTE=ConnieTony;3075909] We contacted FW parts and got a quote for a complete seat (over $1.2K with shipping) or a new cover (just over $500).

You can buy some wicked nice,complete seats for that kind of money,there are many sites that sell replacement seats for big rigs and rvs.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic57 View Post
I have the same issue with my 2014 35K, although it is not as bad as yours yet. Both of my seats are having this issue. I have talked with FW and they sent me to Flexsteel. Flexsteel won't talk to me because I'm not a dealer. I called FW back and told them the response from Flexsteel. FW contacted Flexsteel and they said they would not cover it as it was out of warranty. Good luck with your attempt. Will be interested to see what they do for you.
Flexsteel Contact Information | Contact Flexsteel

There are many threads on the forum that discuss this topic.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:27 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
Great, so now Im waiting for mine to start doing it. Mine are rarely exposed to sun and I have never cleaned them with anything except an occasional vacuum. I would like to know if either of you used any cleaners or protectants and if yours are exposed to the sun quite a bit? Mine are showing no signs of this type of problem and I have 20,000 miles in the seat. Are you noticing it on any of the other furniture as the sofa and dinette are covered in the same material.
We've never used anything to clean the seats and we have external shades when we are parked - so no heavy sun. Plus it is only the copilot seat.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
I purchased mine used, so I can't say for sure how it was previously cared for. Although the dealer stated the coach was kept in garage storage. While I don't have covered storage yet, I do keep the shades down when not rolling down the road. Both of my seats are beginning to peel on the seat bottom. I'll probably just have my DW make some seat covers. There is no way I'm going to spend good $$ to buy new Flexsteel covers that will probably do the same thing again.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:52 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Angry Fleetwood Seat Issues

From what I can find out this is a wide spread issue with the 2014 Bounders. Fleetwood used what I'm told is Haloleather fabric and this is the fabric that is 'peeling'.

You would have thought that given the number of problems that Fleetwood would have reacted more favorably instead of pointing to Flexsteel. Again from what I'm told (right or wrong) Fleetwood purchased the fabric and sent it out to their suppliers (Flexsteel) to cover the chairs and benches.

All hearsay, but it does sort of make sense, Fleetwood design and source the colors they want in their units.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:31 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I haven't had any issues with mine......so far. Will definitely keep an eye on it.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:50 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 2009 Fiesta and they started peeling, no love from FW or FlexSteel. Had a upholstery shop recover them with much better material.
Not a Clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:50 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would be extremely upset if this happens to my coach at only 2-3 years old. When flexsteel says no, I will file in small claims. No sweat off my back and although I'm sure they have a fleet of lawyers, they will still have to send them out to the middle of nowhere for a day or two which will cost them more than my seats. Principle at that point and I just might end up with my seats repaired. Between this peeling problem and the crap design of the L sofa that continually cuts the leather when you slide it in and out, I'm pretty much done with flex steel. Shame that a brand I once saw as being the best in there field turns out to be garbage. Keep in mind, I'm not talking about threatening them with a law suit as that never does any good but if they wont pay for the covers, I will make them spend the money one way or another. Just personal satisfaction knowing they paid for a plane ticket, legal fees ect. that will add up to more than some covers that cost them a few bucks. There isn't an upholstered product in the world that the general public would think should only last 2-3 years let alone one that is only occasionally and lightly used. At the rate of use most of these seats see, they should last 30 years especially when kept in the dark. With the money we spend and the care we take, it is only reasonable to not expect to pay several thousand dollars every 3 years to replace furniture.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:30 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Fleetwood call

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a Clue View Post
I have a 2009 Fiesta and they started peeling, no love from FW or FlexSteel. Had a upholstery shop recover them with much better material.
Can you share what kind of cost was involved?

Just an update. A short while ago I got a call from a human at Fleetwood, very nice lady - just to tell me that Fleetwood would not do anything, what was the point of that except to rub salt in the wounds. I was already getting that impression from both Fleetwood and Flexsteel - pointing fingers at each other - great customer service, guess who wont be touching Fleetwood next purchase.

Tags
replacement, replace, bounder, ace