Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2016, 07:01 PM   #1

2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k Atwood water heater

Originally after picking up our unit couple months ago, our heater failed on electric side. took to repair fac and they replaced element. elec side worked again. tonight, we tried for first time to use heater with propane and nothing.

pushed button on and water heater propane side did not fire up like it used to before. propane works, we have 3/4 tank full and our stove works.

any thoughts? will call repair fac tomorrow but wanted to see if there is anything I can check first before I call.

thanks for advice.

bill
stormy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2016, 07:08 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy2000 View Post
Originally after picking up our unit couple months ago, our heater failed on electric side. took to repair fac and they replaced element. elec side worked again. tonight, we tried for first time to use heater with propane and nothing.

pushed button on and water heater propane side did not fire up like it used to before. propane works, we have 3/4 tank full and our stove works.

any thoughts? will call repair fac tomorrow but wanted to see if there is anything I can check first before I call.

thanks for advice.

bill
How many times did you try it, I know it usually take about 3 times on mine

Have you check to see if any bugs/insects have made a home inside gas tube
Old 04-19-2016, 07:29 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
Have you check to see if any bugs/insects have made a home inside gas tube

.X2
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:06 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is the elect. Side still plunged in? Thermostat won't let it fire if water is already hot.
spider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:41 PM   #5

I tried it 4x, no bugs looks clean, now in spider post, the tank is hot as wife finished shower and elec was on, and i turnef on propane to see if both would run together to heat up water faster.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:08 AM   #6

well darn, tried morning and noon to light up my atwood 10 gal water heater with propane and still no good, thought last night when the heater was hot on elec sys as spider suggested maybe needed cooling but even with it cooled, nothing.

turn on switch inside and there is nothing, no spark, nothing, good on propane, stove lights and all.

I had earlier problem on elect side but propane was good, repair fac replaced element and got elect working, and never thought to check propane side till last night.

checked main 15a breaker it is good, though that should be on my elec side and not propane right? there is a 2a fuse on the water heater itself, would that be it? or maybe the repair fac somehow did something?

called them asked for service rep who did my coach and of course when there is a problem no return calls. will keep trying and if all else drive there myself.

thanks for any other advice.

bill
Old 04-21-2016, 12:56 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My experience: if you are under warranty go to dealer or factory if you don't want to do it yourself but I've had several "burner" problems with propane burner on fridge/water heater/furnace and it's easier for me to just get it done and "avoid" those guys.

It's really common to have to clean burners or adjust them it seems and you can learn a bit to do that yourself or just have any fireplace, furnace, gas installer etc. take a look. It can be simple and even free to fix by those guys and they don't require you to drive your unit somewhere to look into it.

That's my approach....
Old 04-22-2016, 10:55 AM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
The 2amp may be the problem,the propane side is 12volt and elect. Is 110ac.Do you have 12 volt to switch,and gas valve,if not there is a 12 volt fuse somewhere that is blown.
spider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:23 PM   #9

It won't run on both. If you have 110vac connected and the electric switch on, it will only work on electric. Turn the electric switch off and try the gas.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:43 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic57 View Post
It won't run on both. If you have 110vac connected and the electric switch on, it will only work on electric. Turn the electric switch off and try the gas.

Medic,
Are you saying the water heater will only work on one or the other, but not both? If so, that is not correct. The water heater is the only appliance that will use both at the same time.

If I am not reading your post correctly, could you please elaborate as I am always trying to learn about my coach.

Brian
Old 04-23-2016, 01:15 PM   #11

Yes, that is what I am saying. Doesn't mean that I am correct, but in all my years of RV'ing I've never had a combination water heater that would run on both at the same time. This includes my 2014 Bounder.
Much the same as the RV fridge, if you lose 110vac, the gas will take over.
Again, there may be some other combo water heaters out there that will work on both at the same time, but I've never seen one.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:00 PM   #12

I turned off the elec portion of water heater and turned on the propane and still nothing, no clicks, no gas sound, no spark nothing. I checked the dist box where the 15A switch is and it is good, do not know where the 12v is.

we have 2 switches inside bounder, one for elec and one for propane, the 2a fuse is at water heater, looks good. is there somewhere I can go to check, was wondering if what ever provides the spark for water heater on propane side is not working I could check that.

tried both elec and propane for water heater, as I could do that on my 5th wheel, that allowed us to get water hotter at a quicker pace, but maybe the bounder is different?
Old 04-23-2016, 03:02 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35k Atwood water heater

Medic,

I have a Atwood GC10A-4E in my 2014 Bounder and the product literature says this:

"This unit is Propane gas fired as well as 110 Volt AC fired. These units can be run on Gas and Electricity at the same time to increase the hot water recovery rate. The recovery rate running on propane gas is 8.5 gal per. hr. The recovery rate running on electricity is 6.2. The recovery rate running on both Propane Gas and 110Volt AC is 14.7 Gallons per hour.

This unit further features Electronic Ignition. This means that the water heater can be turned on or off with a simple flip of the switch from inside the coach.

These units feature an Aluminum Clad Tank meaning less weight as well as eliminating the need for an Anode Rod."

Brian
Old 04-23-2016, 05:13 PM   #14

Interesting. I've had both switches on at the same time and the gas doesn't fire up unless I'm disconnected from the electricity. I'll have to look into it further. Thanks for the info.

Tags
atwood, heater, fleetwood, water heater, water, heat, bounder