Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2018, 06:15 PM   #1

2015 Excursion Check Engine Light???

I Have a '15 excursion with 15k miles. Was driving it today and the yellow check engine light came on. Its the same check engine light like Ive seen in cars before. Does this RV have a OBDII plug under the dash like cars do? Id like to check the code and not sure how. Dont have a manual. Anyone know?

I was driving the RV when the light came on. RV still ran fine, no loss of power or anything. I was 4 min from home so I just kept driving. Funny thing though, about a minute or two after the light came on, my Tire Minder unit went off and showed a red light because one of the tires was at 129psi. So the tire minder system puts a little valve stem cap on each wheel and they send a signal to a hand held unit inside the coach and you can check the tire pressure. And I had just put air in all the tires today and put the psi at 110 in all tires. I drove 15 minutes home on the highway and the check engine light came on and then the Tire Minder unit starts going off and blinking red saying that a tire is at 129psi!!??? [moderator edit]
repsolracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2018, 06:57 PM   #2

Call Freightliner and they might be able to read the code from the dash info center
jrupinsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:58 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
I'm not familiar with your excursion, if it's a gas engine, yes it has a OBDII connector just like your passenger car.

If diesel, it uses a J1939 round 9 pin connector, located under driver side of dash.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
I'm not familiar with your excursion, if it's a gas engine, yes it has a OBDII connector just like your passenger car.

If diesel, it uses a J1939 round 9 pin connector, located under driver side of dash.

It's diesel. And I noticed that round connector. Didn't know what it was for. Can I get the tool that plugs into that and tells me what the code is?
Old 02-23-2018, 07:28 PM   #5

Yes, a HD OBD code reader off Amazon...just make sure it's J1939 9 pin compatible. A basic reader is about $150 more or less... which is about what a dealer will charge to read it for you...
Old 02-24-2018, 12:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Yes, a HD OBD code reader off Amazon...just make sure it's J1939 9 pin compatible. A basic reader is about $150 more or less... which is about what a dealer will charge to read it for you...

AutoZone and/or similar places won't do it for you?
Old 02-24-2018, 07:45 AM   #7

Ok so here is picture of the plug. There's a cap that covers the opening and the cap says OBD on it, so I'm fairly confident that this plug would be where you hook up to it. I called a couple auto zones and such and they don't have it. Wondering if other vehicles have this plug and how common it is

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9899.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	193465
Old 02-24-2018, 07:53 AM   #8

you can easily pull the code via the freightliner READOUT on your dash... no need for 'extra' readers to buy, it's built in... you can either refer to your Freightliner owners manual, or call their 24/7 number and they'll walk you thru it....it's just a series of using the 4-way controller to get to the right screen.

typically, I've found that the 'engine outline yellow alert' is NOT an urgent or emergency notice, but one that's based on the EMISSIONS systems(DEF, etc). You may have a simple issue with a sensor out of calibration, etc.
Ours did this several years ago, about 20miles from home. I drove on to the house, parked, and then called Freightliner. In a few minutes, we had the code and the diagnosis - bad sensor information/calibration for the Emissions system, past the DEF input, just prior to the exhaust. They told me that it wouldn't impact driving, but to find and schedule a Cummins Emissions Warranty appointment when possible.
Cummins, out of Ft Wayne IN, where I was going in a month anyway, found a bad sensor and had it replaced that day. They also provided a 50a service for the overnight, thanks! No charge - the Cummins Emissions Warranty is good for 5 years.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:55 AM   #9

MisterT seems to have the how to get your information.... perhaps it was a Regen light?

You have a owners manual? Call Freightliner if that's the chassis you have...

But to answer your question,
All vehicles have it, however the connector you see is for heavy truck obd, AutoZone, etc... don't read them. A passenger car uses a different connector.

You'll need to have someone that works on Diesel truck (not pick-up) that has Scan tool Hook to it.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:31 PM   #10

2015 Excursion Check Engine Light???

Talked to the 24/7 freightliner people and they showed me how to scroll through my dash options to go into engine diagnostics and read the codes. Picture below. Anyone ever had this? I just want to make sure it's ok to drive it

He didn't seem to have a ton of info for me. He said both codes are related to some temp sensor for the DEF system.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9914.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	193504

Tags
check engine light, engine, light