RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2019, 04:05 PM   #1345

I'm not with the MH right now, but I'm guessing it placed the connection about 3" over. I remember that the screws holding the cover plate opening extend 1/2" past the compartment floor, so do be careful when hooking up sewer hose (which is why I leave the 2 elbows connected to the hose).

Heat10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2019, 10:52 AM   #1346

Good morning everyone! Here is the 2nd part of our solar overview. Don't forget to Like, Share and Subscribe. Oh, and ring that bell so you get a notification when we post a new video! Part 2 goes over the panels on the roof and how I wired them.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:11 PM   #1347

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
AFfiredawg,
I think you'll find the batts and the inverter in the same compartment are a problem with heat in the summer. At least for me it is. Get's really hot in there and not the best for the batts. Also the catalytic converter is right behind the batts there and get super hot. I added some heat shield and has worked out great keeping temps lower.
There's also other issues with the BCC and the alternator. Hope you looked into that and wondering what you did? There are also a few posts on that.
I presume you read my post on the 35K solar and lithium upgrade I did a few years ago.
'16 Bounder Solar and Lithium Upgrade
Old 02-08-2019, 08:28 PM   #1348

2016 Bounder Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
AFfiredawg,

I think you'll find the batts and the inverter in the same compartment are a problem with heat in the summer. At least for me it is. Get's really hot in there and not the best for the batts. Also the catalytic converter is right behind the batts there and get super hot. I added some heat shield and has worked out great keeping temps lower.

There's also other issues with the BCC and the alternator. Hope you looked into that and wondering what you did? There are also a few posts on that.

I presume you read my post on the 35K solar and lithium upgrade I did a few years ago.

'16 Bounder Solar and Lithium Upgrade
I did see yours.

I have had this setup for about 10 months now with the exception of the 6th battery. I havenít had any heat issues whatsoever with the victron or the battleborns. I will say I believe the victron does a better job at cooling itself thatís the magnum equipment did...The battleborns have a very capable BMS to ensure there are no temp or voltage/current issues that will damage the batteries. You will notice that I have removed a good portion of the wooden shelf to allow for more ventilation up into the water tank area and beyond...if I do ever have issues with temp I can always add a couple 12v fans with temp switches. I may still eventually add heat shield to the exterior of that compartment though just to be safe. As for the bcc/alternator yes the battery isolation device that is stock is not optimal for lithium, it wonít harm the lithium either...could allow heavier wear on the alternator though. That is why battleborn recommends the precision circuits bim designed for lithium which is essentially a drop in replacement with different settings.

I think I answered or addressed all your questions or points. Let me know if I missed something though! Appreciate the comments!
Old 02-09-2019, 02:49 PM   #1349

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFfiredawg View Post
I did see yours.

I have had this setup for about 10 months now with the exception of the 6th battery. I haven’t had any heat issues whatsoever with the victron or the battleborns. I will say I believe the victron does a better job at cooling itself that’s the magnum equipment did...The battleborns have a very capable BMS to ensure there are no temp or voltage/current issues that will damage the batteries. You will notice that I have removed a good portion of the wooden shelf to allow for more ventilation up into the water tank area and beyond...if I do ever have issues with temp I can always add a couple 12v fans with temp switches. I may still eventually add heat shield to the exterior of that compartment though just to be safe. As for the bcc/alternator yes the battery isolation device that is stock is not optimal for lithium, it won’t harm the lithium either...could allow heavier wear on the alternator though. That is why battleborn recommends the precision circuits bim designed for lithium which is essentially a drop in replacement with different settings.

I think I answered or addressed all your questions or points. Let me know if I missed something though! Appreciate the comments!
Not quite sure what the Precision Circuits BIM does in conjunction with the BCC setup. I basically reconfigured mine so the alternator does not charge the lithium (house) unless I flip a switch - which I leave off.
I haven't had an "issues" due to the heat. My concern was the elevated temps that I see in there (over 100 and 110 in summer while driving). Long term there are negative effects due to the longevity of the lithium. No manufacturer will tell you this. They all say they will function up to what 149F? And mine does just fine as the temp come no where near that. Just thought I'd pass on the info
Technomadia documented their experience with the heat and lithium. It's in the paragraph starting "The Dark Cloud: Premature Battery Aging?" https://www.technomadia.com/2015/02/...attery-update/
Old 03-02-2019, 09:02 AM   #1350

Chassis/Truck battery not charging on shore power

Recently got back on the road, and noticed our truck chassis battery is not charging when parked and on shore power 30 or 50. After 4-5 days it gets down to 11.9. Charges fine when engine is running. Checked breakers, all good. The house battery's are charging fine to 13.4. Similar issue last year, turned out to be a loose battery cable, not this time. Any suggestions?

Second question, the Magnum has a mode of Full Charge, I've only ever seen it once in 3 years. Should I be seeing it?

Paul
psantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:42 AM   #1351

First, see if holding the boost switch causes the chassis battery voltage to climb, while on shore power.
If it doesn't, the isolation solenoid may be bad. A common failure item.

Second, many isolation systems need around 13.4 volts to combine the 2 battery banks. Yours may need 13.5 volts.

See what the float voltage setting is on your Inverter/charger. You could bring it up 1/10 of a volt as a test.

Third, your battery temperature sensor may be out of range. They will lower charging voltage to the batteries and not get high enough to activate the isolation solenoid.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:41 PM   #1352

Thanks for the info, do you know where the isolation switch is, suppose I could test in/out.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:01 PM   #1353

The isolation solenoid can be located by having someone push the Boost / Aux start switch, on and off, while you listen for it.

The same solenoid serves both functions.

Here is a basic layout. You may not have the two battery disconnects but it works the same.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2019-02-23-12-29-56.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	236581
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:56 PM   #1354

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by psantana View Post
Second question, the Magnum has a mode of Full Charge, I've only ever seen it once in 3 years. Should I be seeing it?

Paul
Not sure which display you have but per the Magnum manual
"Once in the Float stage for four hours with no DC load on the batteries, the charger will enter the Full Charge stage (i.e., Battery Saver mode). In Full Charge mode, the charger automatically stops charging but is still on and actively monitoring the battery voltage. The charger will remain in the
Full Charge stage until the battery voltage drops below 12.7 VDC for 12-volt batteries"
Old 03-04-2019, 03:05 PM   #1355

Thanks twinboat, but no clickin in the engine compartment or the BCC cabinet.ill check with fleetwood..... :-)
Paul

Tags
bounder