Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2019, 04:59 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
2016 Pace Arrow electrical issues

I have a 2016 Fleetwood Pace Arrow. For those familiar with the model it has a radio (park/travel) switch which allows you to turn on the radio and backup camera when the ignition is off. All of which has nothing to do with my question or concern but appears to be related so I'm including it in my post. My problem is our electric blackout shade covering the windshield won't operate. As I went through my troubleshooting I also discovered my radio switch isn't operating correctly. Instead of turning on the radio and backup camera regardless of the ignition switch position it's operating as follows: With the ignition switch off, nothing happens with the radio, as normal. With the ignition switch on, and the radio switch on (or in park, which should turn on the radio regardless of the ignition switch) the radio and backup camera remain off. With the ignition switch on and the radio switch off (in travel mode which should turn the radio off with the ignition switch off) the radio comes on as it should since the ignition switch is on. Along with all this that must be related somehow our blackout shade doesn't move at all. I've gone through all the fuses but I have to think if this were a fuse issue the radio wouldn't come on at all instead of operating incorrectly. The radio should come on when placing the radio switch to park and the electric shade should operate regardless of all switches and ignition. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have to hit the road Monday morning before Fleetwood opens and it will be a bit difficult to drive with the blackout shade covering the windshield
jmonzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2019, 06:02 AM   #2

Sounds exactly like a fuse or bad connection. Radio gets power two ways, one through the ignition and the other direct (Park). Yours is working one way and not the other, and the other way is most likely how the shades are powered. Did you check the fuses in the BCC?
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:37 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
A fuse was my initial thought and I went through all the fuses I could find. There are 2 banks of fuses under the dash behind a cabinet and a set of fuses in the half bath. The only one I could find that seemed at all like it could be related was a radio fuse under the dash. Sorry but what is a BCC?

My only doubt about it being a fuse is the fact that the radio works with the ignition on. There could probably be a fuse connecting the radio to the house batteries through the radio switch but that doesn't explain why the radio works with the ignition on but the shade doesn't. More likely to me, being not very mechanical, is some sort of short. That would explain the shade not working and the radio acting very odd. By odd I mean the radio doesn't work at all with the ignition switch off regardless of the radio switch position. The radio should work when the radio switch is in park with the ignition off. Then with the ignition switch on the radio should work regardless of radio switch position. But instead it works when the switch is in the travel position but not in the park position.

I'm sure my post is very confusing but that's the best way I can explain it and I wanted to be thorough.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:56 AM   #4

It does sound a bit odd, almost like you have two different problems. You need to find your BCC (Battery Control Center) as there are fuses for the visors, radio, etc located there. Also multiple connection plugs, you might have a loose one or perhaps some corrosion going on there. Or perhaps a bad ground. I have a 2016 Expedition, I'm betting the wiring is very similar. In my BCC I have two different radio fuses and at least one for the visor. But I did a little experimenting just now pulling different fuses to see if I could replicate your exact problem and couldn't. So it appears the visors and radio don't share a common fuse. But, as you've probably discovered there's fuses hidden everywhere. Also, the ignition does tie into the visor system - that's why your visors only go partway down when the ignition is on. But I'd guess that isn't the problem.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:58 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well this just keeps getting more strange. There's an access panel above the instrument cluster. I decided to take that off to see if there was access to the visor switch and radio switch. Turns out I could get to the back of the visor switch but not the radio switch. But couldn't find any loose connections or anything looking broken. While back there I played around with both switches and lo and behold the radio came on. I really don't think I did anything to fix it but regardless that kind of agrees with your assessment of two separate problems since the visor still doesn't work.

As you mentioned there are fuses all over the place. Can you tell me where your BCC is located? Is that the fuse box that's back by the house batteries? I have 2 fuse boxes under the dash but I also know of one back by the house batteries. I think it's crazy they'd put a fuse back there for the visor but I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Thanks for your responses.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:35 AM   #6

You're looking for something like this. On my Fleetwood it's in the compartment being the right rear wheel. There's fuses on pigtails outside and fuses on the board inside. One of the pigtail fuses is for the visors. Click image for larger version

Name:	PHOTO_20190422_103130.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	243132
Old 04-22-2019, 11:57 AM   #7

The guys who put these together really like to tension the zip ties. I had a problem with my Sirius antenna that I finally tracked down to a zip tie that had severed the wire internally. So don't overlook something Ike that either.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:10 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry about the delayed response. Yesterday was a travel day. What a strange place to put the visor fuse. Guess I shouldn't be surprised but I still am. My fuse was in the same place as yours, which I expected since the 2016 Expedition is almost identical to the Pace Arrow. Fuse is good. I'm calling Fleetwood tomorrow. Hopefully they can come up with an answer. Do you have an electric visor? If so do you know what kind it is? None of my documentation covers the visor so I don't even know where to research info on it. Mine is a full window blackout visor with 2 wires coming out of the right end that attach to a button that's covered by a rubber tip.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:18 PM   #9

Did you ever mess with those buttons? It's possible the shades are stuck in programming mode. Look on YouTube for RV shade programming. You probably have MCD shades or some name similar to that.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:55 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
I looked at videos for MCD and couldn't find one that matched mine. That's why I need to figure out what brand/model mine is. Not sure if I'm doing this right but here's a picture of the right side of my shade.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190421_075157.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	460.6 KB
ID:	243327  
Old 04-23-2019, 04:59 PM   #11

That's what I have. Check this video: https://youtu.be/ZAsryA0z6dc
Old 04-23-2019, 06:26 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
That's the one I have. Interesting United Shade website doesn't show that shade. I was hoping to find the installation manual that might help me. The shade isn't getting any power at all so I'm convinced it's an electrical problem. I really believe it's some kind of wire that is common to the radio switch and the shade, likely connecting them to whatever makes them operate differently with the ignition on or off. The difficult part is once the wires come out of the switches they go into a bundle that makes them impossible (for my limited mechanical abilities) to figure out where the wires go. I really think the dash is gonna have to be taken apart to get to the problem.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:49 PM   #13

Fix the first problem first. The Part position of the Radio Switch is fed from a fuse in the BCC box. That is the box where all the battery relays are found. On a Bounder it was in the first compartment behind the steps.

That might feed the power shades too.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:33 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I spoke to Fleetwood and, as expected, didn’t really get anywhere. Like both of you do, he feels I have 2 separate problems. I’m stubborn and still believe they’re related but I’ve done all the troubleshooting I’m capable of doing without taking the entire dashboard apart. Which I won’t do for fear of not getting it back together correctly. The Fleetwood tech mentioned a monoplex switch for the radio. Of course, he couldn’t tell me where to find it. After looking through all the possible areas I can look through without taking the dash apart I can’t find that switch. I also went found the fuses for the radio switch and visor in the BCC and they’re both good. I also took down the visor to see if I could easily remove the wires and text if they’re getting power. But of course they are wired inside the visor and it would also involve me taking the visor off the brackets and maybe having trouble getting it back together.
My next step is to take it in to be fixed. Likely for a 1000 dollar bill after they have to take several hours taking apart the dash to troubleshoot. But, like a boat, that’s the price we pay. I won’t be taking it in probably for several months since we’ll be travelling quite a bit this summer. I may even wait till we head south and go through Indiana and let Fleetwood deal with it. In the meantime if I want to listen to music I can use the accessory position of the ignition and I’m rolling up the visor and holding it up with Velcro strips. When I finally get it fixed I’ll post what the problems were. Thanks for your responses. I had no idea there were more fuses and a BCC in another compartment so at least I learned that from your posts.

Tags
electrical, pace arrow, ace, electric