Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2017, 08:00 AM   #1

2017 35K.....Tire rotation

About 6000 miles on the beast since Feb 2017 when we picked it up. What do the gurus recommend for tire rotation. I suspect it's done front to front and rear to rear but that's a guess.
tickfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2017, 08:23 AM   #2

My opinion
If you see uneven tire wear get the alignment looked at. Otherwise watch your tire pressures and you'll find the tires will age out (6 or 7 years depending on manufacturer) before you wear out the tread.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:33 AM   #3

Agreed. No need to rotate tires.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:41 AM   #4

You’ll probably want the front end aligned even if you don’t rotate. I understand that ford aligns them when they leave their factory, but the RV manufacturers and dealers do not. All the added weight from the coach will mess with the alignment and they recommend having them aligned at 7k or so miles.
TheTravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I rotate the toad's tires, not the MH's tires.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:32 PM   #6

Traveler is incorrect about Fleetwood aligning coaches. All coaches are aligned at the plant after they have been assembled. I obtained this information from the representative during a tour of the Fleetwood factory last year. That is not to say that a delivery driver didn't knock it out of alignment on the delivery trip. If the wheel is straight and the coach doesn't pull the alignment should be OK.
Traveler
FWIW I also have first hand knowledge that Thor products are aligned after assembly too.
After the test drive on my last two coaches I had the dealer have the coach aligned prior to me accepting it due to pulling or the wheel being off center.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:02 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Agree - no need to rotate unless there is some unusual wear in one position. And then you still need to fix the problem that caused the unusual wear - rotating just moves the worn tire to another place. It's not a fix for anything.

Rotating tires will even out difference in the normal wear of front vs rear tires, but it makes as much or more sense to simply replace worn tires axle by axle. If the fronts wear out first, just buy two new tires for the front. Chances are all 6 (or 8) tires will die of old age before they wear out anyway...
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:08 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I almost bought a coach but test drove it first. Pulled hard to the right. Dealer took to Freightliner, it had severe damage caused by delivery people. 2nd one also pulled to right but was correctable with alignment.
Check everything before paying.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:06 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't "rotate" but my tire purchase strategy rotates the tires.

Every two or three years, I buy two new tires, and put them on the front.

I move the old fronts to the outside dullies.

I move the old outside dullies to the inside dullies on the opposite side of the MH. This keeps the tires rotating in the same direction.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I move the old outside dullies to the inside dullies on the opposite side of the MH. This keeps the tires rotating in the same direction.
Maybe I don't know enough about how duallies work, but how does what you said above keep the tires rotating in the same direction? Seems like it would do just the opposite.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:13 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Maybe I don't know enough about how duallies work, but how does what you said above keep the tires rotating in the same direction? Seems like it would do just the opposite.
You could go straight back, but I switch sides. This alternates the tire from left side to right side, but still keeps the tire rotating in the same direction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TireRotation_1200.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	180649  
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:39 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't rotate motorhome ties unless uneven wear. And finding out why the uneven wear.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote