Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2017, 11:53 AM   #1

2017 Bounder 35K tire question

Weighed the goose (that what she calls it) yesterday on the way back from picking it up from the dealer for some warranty work. It weighed 6900 at the front axle and 13760 at the rear, total 20660. That is with 45+ gallons of fuel, no water, full propane, some personal items, and one fat boy. When it left Fleetwood in March of 16 it weighed 20099. No idea what was in the coach.
The tires are 235/80/22.5 Michelin XRV. When we picked it up the walk thru guy said just keep 100 psi in all the tires. When buying it I asked the sales dude about tire pressure and he said 90. Uh, nothing like consistency.
The Michelin site says to weigh each end of each axle. I haven't found a weigh site in the Austin area that does that. As a result I'm having to go with each axle. Now what Kemo Sabe???
tickfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2017, 01:12 PM   #2

When in doubt go with the pressure that is printed on the sidewall of the tire. If the ride is acceptable then leave the pressure there, but check the tire treads for wear in the center of the tread that would indicate over inflation.
Also please check out my article, "Tires for Towable RVs and Tow Vehicles", which is published on This Old Campsite campground recommendations reviews RV Shows RV Articles . Oh, I know you are talking about a motor home, but there is still much relevant information for you.
Mudflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:30 PM   #3

My 16 Bounder has a sticker next the drivers seat or on the screen door that lists the tire pressure. If I remember correct it says 90 psi
Old 05-18-2017, 09:12 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
You might have a tire inflation vs weight chart in your owners manual or book. If not I agree to use the sticker info in the coach.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:21 AM   #5

Have to be careful what is posted in threads.
Salespeople are absolutely clueless and many RV techs don't know what they are talking about.
Everyone has an opinion so be careful.
Lots and lots of threads here in irv2 about this topic.

Please read this and use the information on this site:
Michelin Official Tire Inflation Tables

The value in the coach on the certification label is recommended pressure at max weight for that RV.
Pressure on the sidewall is the max pressure allowed for that tire.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:44 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't go with the number on the sidewall; that is for the maximum allowable weight that the TIRE can carry, not your RV. It is safe to go with what the tag near your driver seat says (assuming the stock size/load range tires), but those pressures will be for the absolute max that YOUR rig should ever weigh, and as such will likely give you less than optimal handling and ride.

Best is to use actual weights, and you are indeed a step ahead since you do have axle weights. Since you don't know each corner weight, splitting the axle weights is acceptable, and many will tell you to simply split the axle weight 50/50. However, very seldom is an RV equally weighted on both sides, so to be safe, go with 53-55%. 53% of your weighed axle weights gives you 3657 lbs front, 7293 lbs rear. According to Michelin's tire load/pressure table, you should run 80 psi front and 90 psi rear.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Don't go with the number on the sidewall; that is for the maximum allowable weight that the TIRE can carry, not your RV. It is safe to go with what the tag near your driver seat says (assuming the stock size/load range tires), but those pressures will be for the absolute max that YOUR rig should ever weigh, and as such will likely give you less than optimal handling and ride.

Best is to use actual weights, and you are indeed a step ahead since you do have axle weights. Since you don't know each corner weight, splitting the axle weights is acceptable, and many will tell you to simply split the axle weight 50/50. However, very seldom is an RV equally weighted on both sides, so to be safe, go with 53-55%. 53% of your weighed axle weights gives you 3657 lbs front, 7293 lbs rear. According to Michelin's tire load/pressure table, you should run 80 psi front and 90 psi rear.
Thanks, I saw that but we still have to allow for filling the fuel tank, all of her clothes, my one pair of shorts and t shirt, and food.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:17 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickfarm View Post
Thanks, I saw that but we still have to allow for filling the fuel tank, all of her clothes, my one pair of shorts and t shirt, and food.
I wish you would stop spreading the news that you can bring a pair of shorts and shirt tickfarm. I'm not sure where I'm going to fit that if DH hears of this possibility.....so far he's convinced the clothes he has on are the clothes he'll be wearing. Good thing we have that washer/dryer
rmbmrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmbmrm View Post
I wish you would stop spreading the news that you can bring a pair of shorts and shirt tickfarm. I'm not sure where I'm going to fit that if DH hears of this possibility.....so far he's convinced the clothes he has on are the clothes he'll be wearing. Good thing we have that washer/dryer
You ever see a movie where a woman walks into the lobby of a hotel followed by 5 bellhops carrying 2 bags each. Well...........
Old 05-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #10

If you look at the placard it lists the max weight for each axle and also the recommended tire pressures. If you take the recommended tire pressures 90PSI front and rear and compare the max weight for each axle to the Michelin tire chart you will see that the 90PSI is within a few pounds of each axles max weight. Unless you have overloaded an axle there is no reason to ever go above 90 PSI. Since you have you have had you coach weighed you can safely reduce that pressure based on what the tire chart will allow.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder