Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2017, 08:51 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2017 Discovery 40G lockout

Had a new experience this past weekend while boondocking on a friends farm in upstate NY. When we returned home from dinner we found that we somehow locked ourselves out of the coach.(left the keys in the coach since we were at friends). Fortunately a friend with a slim jim was able to jimmy open the drivers side window, climb through and open the door for us. (Not a fun experience at 11PM with a tired DW and 3 tired kids). While we couldn't figure out how this could have happened I did mount a "hide-a-key" the very next day. As it turns out, I'm glad that I did this - because it happened to us again at the CG the very next night! The only thing we can think of is that someone may be slightly hitting the lock button when opening the door to exit the coach. It's very easy to do since you have to push the door handle down (with some force) while pushing out on the door - and the lock latch is located just below the door handle. Realizing now how easy it is to do a lockout - we'll be using the hide-a-key if we're leaving the coach, or keep the keys on the toad. Lesson learned...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2017, 07:43 AM   #2

Same thing has happened to us. I attribute it to poor design of the door. The lock is placed in such a way that it is very easy to bump the lock when grabbing then handle. I carry a spare set of keys in the toad now.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:55 AM   #3

I always hide the keys somewhere when we leave. As you noted, it's so easy to break into these coaches even without breaking a window.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:03 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Same happened to me in my Bounder. Hide a key is critical. I leave one in my car and in a locked box outside on the coach. Seems to be a lousy design as you are leaving you may slide the lock a little down and as you close the door, bamm, locked out.
Anyone know of a place to key an extra key made? Home Depot does not have have them.
Old 07-18-2017, 11:17 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by codsimms View Post
Same thing has happened to us. I attribute it to poor design of the door. The lock is placed in such a way that it is very easy to bump the lock when grabbing then handle. I carry a spare set of keys in the toad now.
I couldn't agree more codsimms...it is a poor design. Thanks for the input
Old 07-18-2017, 11:21 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Same happened to me in my Bounder. Hide a key is critical. I leave one in my car and in a locked box outside on the coach. Seems to be a lousy design as you are leaving you may slide the lock a little down and as you close the door, bamm, locked out.
Anyone know of a place to key an extra key made? Home Depot does not have have them.
good question computer guy... i have never actually used the keys, just the keyless entry remote...but it's probably a great idea to have extra keys made because the keyless remotes can fail as well.. might have to get them from a dealer
Old 08-15-2017, 08:51 PM   #7

The keyless entry on my brand new 2018 Discovery 40G has already failed!
Old 08-16-2017, 03:40 AM   #8

We also have been locked out. Lucky for me my wife was inside and unlocked the door for me. Hide a key box with magnet was installed the next moring Rather than a design problem, I found slamming the door too hard cause the lock (not dead bolt) to loosen up and get out of alignment, thus the latch was not clearing the striker.

It's amazing how hard people slam the door! I simply pull the door closed until it latches!
Old 08-16-2017, 02:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghbob View Post
good question computer guy... i have never actually used the keys, just the keyless entry remote...but it's probably a great idea to have extra keys made because the keyless remotes can fail as well.. might have to get them from a dealer

After locking ourselves out a couple of times, we had additional keys made at Ace Hardware. We never imagined they could do it, but they did. However, our keys may be different than yours since we have a 2015. We have a separate fob with the remote lock. The last time we were locked out, but before we had keys made, DH found an unlocked window at the front and used his fishing pole to retrieve the keys off the hook inside! Now, tell me, where else are you going to be able to find that kind of free entertainment!
Fulltime and loving it!
lsw9658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:34 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I keep an extra set of MH keys in the toad and an extra set of car keys in the MH. In case both vehicles are locked, a third set is hidden underneath the MH in a magnet case. If you have small kids/Gkids going in and out, can't tell when one will turn the lock and close the door....BTDT.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:36 AM   #11

I'm confused as to why there are two different keys to the door. Has anyone changed out the lock so one key works on both locks?
HuskerRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 03:33 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsw9658 View Post
After locking ourselves out a couple of times, we had additional keys made at Ace Hardware. We never imagined they could do it, but they did. However, our keys may be different than yours since we have a 2015. We have a separate fob with the remote lock. The last time we were locked out, but before we had keys made, DH found an unlocked window at the front and used his fishing pole to retrieve the keys off the hook inside! Now, tell me, where else are you going to be able to find that kind of free entertainment!
Ha that's great stuff right there - thanks for sharing, gave us a real chuckle.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:37 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
great question -I didn't realze this since we always use the remote fob. You're saying those 2 locks take different keys?..uh oh..I better figure out which one is which for if/when the fob fails!
Old 08-19-2017, 03:41 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghbob View Post
great question -I didn't realze this since we always use the remote fob. You're saying those 2 locks take different keys?..uh oh..I better figure out which one is which for if/when the fob fails!
sorry, I thought i was responding to Red (reply number 11) but it didn't quote their post

Tags
discovery