Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2017, 10:14 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2017 Discovery LXE

I'm looking to purchase one of these. They seem like a great buy with what's included. This would be my first motorhome. Comes with an ISL 380 . I will be Towing a Jeep GC around 5500 lbs.

A couple of questions, How do these handle on the highway? I plan on spending time in the moutains. Will this have any issues towing the jeep up the Moutains, like Vail pass? These are scary going downin an SUV. Do these have air or exhast breaks? I don't see anything about that on the specs.

I know you get what you pay for. It just seems cheap compared to a Newmar with similar features. What an I missing here?

Any Discovery owners out there that can chime in here?
toneil7163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2017, 12:32 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
We love ours and tow a Wrangler, I wouldn't see any issues with a GC tow. Pretty sure ours is exhaust brake and last summer we went to the Okanagan and had 8% grades with no issues going up or coming down. Drives like a dream as far as I am concerned. We have had no major issues with ours. FW is great value for the money.
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneil7163 View Post
I'm looking to purchase one of these. They seem like a great buy with what's included. This would be my first motorhome. Comes with an ISL 380 . I will be Towing a Jeep GC around 5500 lbs.

A couple of questions, How do these handle on the highway? I plan on spending time in the moutains. Will this have any issues towing the jeep up the Moutains, like Vail pass? These are scary going downin an SUV. Do these have air or exhast breaks? I don't see anything about that on the specs.

I know you get what you pay for. It just seems cheap compared to a Newmar with similar features. What an I missing here?

If you consider driving any mountain pass scary in an SUV a Class A MH will not be a picnic. It is taller, heavier and does not handle as well as a SUV.
Typically similar "class" MHs will be priced within a narrow range of each other. The key is to compare the correct MHs to each other. ie it would be totally unfair to compare a Discovery to a Dutch Star. What Newmar are you comparing the Discovery to?
When I bought my Bounder I did an extensive comparison on ALL features. The Bounder was the best value for the dollar. It was not necessarily the best MH. If I had unlimited funds I would have gone with the Newmar. My comparison was on the Newmar Canyon Star 3710, Tiffin Allegro 36LA and the Bounder 35K. I am still happy with my Bounder after getting all the "little issues" resolved by Fleetwood/REV at the service center (NOT the dealer).
Old 03-08-2017, 02:31 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
We took delivery of a 2017 Discovery LXE in January and couldn't be happier. Although our experience is still pretty limited, I've found it reasonably well behaved on the highway. We moved up from a 2015 Jayco Seneca on a Freightliner M2 chassis (a "Super C"). The Discovery is definitely impacted more by the wind and by passing trucks than the Seneca was, but it isn't bad.

The Discovery has a hydraulic engine retarder built into the Allison transmission rather than an engine or exhaust brake. We haven't done any Vail-type grades yet, but it has been effective when we have used it.

We pull a 2014 Honda CR-V and I can't even tell it's back there. Good luck with your decision!
anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:35 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
15 Discovery here. Many many minor problems. No major. Just drive 1450 miles CA to N. TX. In 4 days. Drives exceptionally well. I-10 only has up to 5000' elevation and can leave cruise on, but I dont. Get 9 mpg pulling Accord. Rarely have to use retarder brake. I do all my maint. Only slightly harder than gasser. So I know my rig very well.
Lots of room and amenities. Got a very good deal in Mesa, AZ.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:49 PM   #6

Transmission retarder???? I thought foretravel was the only company that had one??
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:57 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
Transmission retarder???? I thought foretravel was the only company that had one??
Yeah - I thought only the super high-end manufacturers offered them too. I noticed the switch on the console says "Engine Retarder" so I looked it up. Of course, there's always the chance that what I found is inaccurate, but it was on the internet so it has to be true
anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:06 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneil7163 View Post

we recently picked up a 2017 LXE 40G after comparing against a few other makes - we wanted the bunkhouse layout for the kids and couldn't find many - and none that compared for the price of the Discovery. Have only taken one trip of any length but the Discovery handles like a dream on the highway - the engine is quite powerful and should take you wherever you need to go. engine brake works flawlessly. Couple minor issues that are being worked out - but nothing mechanically. Good luck and happy glamping!
Old 03-12-2017, 09:51 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Toneil--I think I'm hearing a number of questions so I'll offer my thoughts separately.

Towing: With nearly any diesel pusher there will be no great issue. Don't expect to go uphill (with or without towed) at the same rate as on level ground. In the Rockies on some grades we can go uphill at only 30mph (even less on the steepest grades), same as most other MHs and trucks. Downhill, never go faster than you did uphill. The 380 is a great engine and will easily handle your towed).

Handling: These rigs drive beautifully, almost as easily as a car. All class As are huge sails that catch the wind going down the road. That CAN be challenging to drive in (I'm thinking especially of ND, SD, W.TX and NM with winds we've experienced over 35mph and gusts to 65mph). Newer coaches than mine often have stabilizer mechanisms installed from the factory (I don't think the Discovery does). Some, if not all Newmars come with a terrific stabilizer that owners I know swear by. I put in a $500 Steer Safe that has made it much easier to handle and virtually eliminated sway caused by passing trucks (I like it better than Safe-T-Steer and several others because there are no hydraulics).

Mountain driving: I sort of agree with another comment: if driving an SUV down a mountain pass in warm weather is scary, you will be scared in a MH. Of course there are passes and then there are passes. Don't take a MH where it shouldn't go. It will happen unintentionally. We never drive interstates if we can avoid them so, yes, we occasionally get into a bind we must work our way out of--but that is part of the adventure. But if a pass is marked for no trucks or RVs, don't take one there. If there are serious switchbacks, go slow. Take a driving class--it will make you feel much more confident, as well as competent. And both of you take it! It makes you both better passengers as well...

Exhaust brakes/retarders: To my knowledge, all Class As have some sort of exhaust brake, and the Discovery uses what is called a retarder. In simplest terms, it will restrict the exhaust flow which forces the engine to slow down. Simultaneously, the Allison transmission (probably the best-built item in any motor home!) will down-shift to the lowest gear possible that still protects the engine. If the grade is steep, you will still need to use your air brakes or the transmission will automatically up-shift to protect the engine. Read and learn how to ascend hills using the correct gear and RPMs, and how to use your brakes properly to descend steep grades before the first time you go!

Only the truly custom-built MHs (such as Foretravels) come from the factory with very few problems. This is true across all brands. That said, I know of two Discovery owners who swear they have had NO issues--perhaps they are just more tolerant than I? It is my impression that Newmars tend to have fewer issues from the factory than others, but they too will have issues. I know of folks with punch lists of over 50 items too (they have to be including stuff that is incredibly minor!). In the case of Discoverys...and I suspect all brands...you will always be best off taking it to the factory to be fixed. Our experiences in Decatur (where REV builds Discoverys and others) and in Gaffney (Freightliner chassis factory service) have been very good. I avoid dealers--most are reputed to have lousy service, lots of incompetence among mechanics, and extraordinary delays.

Sorry to be long-winded. Hope it has helped.
Home base now in Kerrville TX
Al n Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:01 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
One additional comment: Whatever coach you buy, join the most specific owners' association you can so you can participate in their forums (in addition to iRV2). In the case of Discovery, there is the DOAI--Discovery Owners Assoc. Inc. Being MODEL specific, there will nearly always be someone who has experienced the exact same issue vexing you and who will usually have an answer.

Brand-specific is good, but not nearly as helpful as model-specific. In fact, I think there are very few other model-specific associations active. I know there is a Newmar association, but is there (for example) a Dutch Star association? If so, is it active on a forum or email group? Anyone?
Old 03-12-2017, 10:15 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just read on another iRV2 thread that the Newmar steering stabilizer I mentioned above is called "Comfort Drive" and the writer seemed to imply it is standard on all Newmars. Apparently it is motor-driven and more effective than others. Something to consider.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #12

There are a number of differences in Fleetwood and Newmar both in construction and components. When we were looking (at higher price point) both had pluses and minuses. Take a good look at the units and also look up and down from what you are thinking of. That will help you see some of them. Just recently I watched a video of a entry level REV unit and was like wow we have a lot of "little" things that make our unit simpler to use or nicer. Some items were the same but others quite different and these coaches were built on same assembly line.

Tom
Old 03-12-2017, 07:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al n Cindy View Post
I just read on another iRV2 thread that the Newmar steering stabilizer I mentioned above is called "Comfort Drive" and the writer seemed to imply it is standard on all Newmars. Apparently it is motor-driven and more effective than others. Something to consider.
Comfort Drive is standard on all Newmar diesel motor homes. Every poster who comments on Newmar Comfort Drive swears by it, it is one of the reasons that Newmar is on the top of my list when retire in about 4 years.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discovery