Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #1

2017 Fleetwood Bounder 33C - "Bent Jack Shaft"?!

Looking for feedback/suggestions/comments on this issue I'm facing with my 2017 Fleetwood Bounder 33C.

I just came back from a short trip with my wife. As we were preparing to leave the campground, when I pressed the button to retract all my jacks my Bounder dropped down as usual but when I released the parking break all sorts of alarms went off and the light on the control panel indicating that jacks were down was lit. I set the parking break back on and checked my jacks. I noticed that the rear-driver's side jack had lifted just about 2 inches off the ground, all other jacks retracted to what I'm going to call "normal" position. Went back inside and tried a couple more times, same result. I eventually was able to get the jack up half way (using "manual" controls) so I could drive back home. When I got home I tried to set the jacks down but no luck. The control panel would cycle and then the "low-voltage" light would come on.

Took the Bounder to my RV service center. They tell me that the low voltage was due to a blown fuse (covered under warranty) but that the reason for the jack not retracting was that my back jacks are bent. This is a 2017 Bounder with just 3k miles on it! How can these be bent? The worst part is that they say this is not covered by any of my warranties (manufacturer or extended). Their suggestion is that I may have tried to move the Bounder with the jacks down... Really?! As I said before, the moment I disengaged the parking break and the system detected a jack down all sorts of alarms and lights came on. I can say the safety feature worked as designed. They are telling me it will cost around $3k to replace these jacks. Do I have any other course of action? Any comments? Thank you!
vtoro1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2017, 02:02 PM   #2
Community Administrator

I would call FW and tell them what happened. 800-322-8216. Good luck and please update us when you can.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
If they aren't bent to bad, a hydraulic shop may be able to straighten them enough so they will not bind. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:34 PM   #4

The jacks may have struck something.

How about calling your vehicle insurance company and putting in an accident claim.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:40 AM   #5

Was that a Fleetwood service center you went to? If not, work through Fleetwood. I can not imagine the jacks are not covered under your warranty. That sounds very wrong to me.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepar108 View Post
Was that a Fleetwood service center you went to? If not, work through Fleetwood. I can not imagine the jacks are not covered under your warranty. That sounds very wrong to me.
I do hope they fix it although to me it is not a warranty issue per se. Sure, the jack going up should be covered. Subsequent damage though? The bent jack would not be IMO. The jack panel clearly indicates when the jacks are down. The vehicle should not be moved until the light goes out. The jacks can retract slowly. Don't release the parking brake until the Jacks Down light goes out.
I hope they do something for the OP.
Gotta read all those manuals...
Old 06-08-2017, 07:12 AM   #7
Community Administrator

My PG electric jacks had an automatic " jacks up " feature if you put the transmission in gear.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 04:23 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Im betting the jacks are not bent and the dealer is giving you a story. Being as the alarms went off when you released the parking break, it sounds like you did not wait for the jacks down light to go off. This can take a minute or two on some coaches. Did you have the engine running while operating the jacks? If not, you will get the low voltage light. Start the coach and try to operate the jacks. If you are successful in getting them to go down and level the coach, I would then take a look and see if in fact they are bent. I find it hard to believe, assuming you didnt try and drive with the jacks down that a coach with that low of miles somehow ended up with bent jacks. Im not saying there might not be some other problem but I bet they were working fine when you picked your coach up and went through the walk through correct? If your then positive you didnt damage them, I again bet that they are not bent and there is a simple fix. Ive seen folks actually drag the jacks on cement pads and all sorts of other crazy things and they usually bend the mount or damage the weld before they bend the shaft.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:28 AM   #9

FWIW
Did the OP ever park the coach with the rear wheels off the ground? The rear tires are what the parking brake effect. Enough of a slope to get the wheels in the air might put quite a bending load on the shafts?
Also has the OP greased the shafts with the grease fittings? I know on my coach the shafts retract noticeably faster when they have been greased.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, fleetwood