Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2016, 08:30 PM   #1

2017 Fleetwood Jamboree Class C

Despite being a LOADED question, was wondering if anyone has had any actual experience with the new Fleetwood Jambree, it seems to be quite impressive. Your thoughts, opinons and warnings would be graetly appreciated....
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2016, 04:02 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not specific to that model, but make SURE it's what you REALLY want and intend to keep it for an extended time because you will get KILLED in depreciation the first few years. Figure at least 10 to 15% a year for the first few years, sometimes more.

Also negotiate for at least a 20% discount off MSRP. And make sure you go through EVERY system and process and make sure everything works BEFORE you take delivery.

There are inherent limits with a c-class unit, so make sure you find tankage, cargo storage, and towing capacity to be satisfactory for your requirements.

If you're an experienced RV'r you know what you're getting yourself into. If not, consider a pre-owned one because it's highly likely you'll change your mind - pretty much everyone does. You won't lose so much money trading it off for something else if you change your mind.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:35 PM   #3

Thanks for the information, seems EVERYTHING is a trade off. Looking to boondock out west, not into crowed RV parks, like the open space. So this model has a 60 gal fresh water tank. When you put the other two tanks, 37 gal black and 37 grey tanks togther, that is a pretty good set up for a C. (Getting a compost toilet). They also have duel pane windows and nice storage space. Haven't driven one yet, closet decent size RV show room on Long Island NY is in New Jersey...lol

Former boater, just sold mine last month so I know what you mean by getting something else. We want to stay with a C though, safety, size, gas and local roads versus highways. Will be going full time for the most part, at least for months at a time. You know, chasing that 70 degrees Hve two golden retrivers which makes for some more fun. Thanks again for your insights and thoughts.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:36 PM   #4

By the way, I heard its 30% off MSRP or you walk away
Old 10-28-2016, 09:56 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
30% is great. But that's why I said 20 at a minimum. There are still poor new buyers that go in and pay almost full price. OMG!

I'm not sure why you're doing a 'C' frankly. FT you should be looking at a 3-10 year old class-A. We have 85 water, 45-55 holding tanks and everything is good for 4-5 days. Then it's time to look for some refills and dump.

A class-A has twice as much storage, and the cab area at camp is usable for sitting whereas the C is just wasted space. And unless you're a huge fan of the cab-over sleeper they are also just wasted space.

They drive virtually the same once you get the hang of what it's all about. People are comforted by the van front end, but in the overall scheme of things the A's drive about the same.

For what you'll spend on a new C you can get a REALLY nice used A and have a much better living arrangement for extended trips. There is just so much more capacity, tankage, storage, and towing. If you're going to tow a car it makes a huge difference.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:38 PM   #6

Well...I hear you and was very tempted to go with an A. Liked the Bounder 32 or 33 something, great floor plan. Want to stay under 35 for sure. (I do plan to tow either a chevy spark (2300 lbs) or a 2014 jeep patriot (2900 lbs) , like the 4 wheel drive).

But, The C can be repaired anywhere and is less expensive to repair; is easier to work on, including by me; it has the same motor and transmission as the Bounder, I think; it gets a tad better gas millage; is smaller for back (country) roads and some parks; is safer with air bags; overhang blocks the sun when driving into it; is a tad less expensive new than a decent used A (someone else's problems, unknown care); ( also has a 6 speed trans, don't have to get the 5 star); will be full time-ish, probably 7-8 months a year (need to keep my house/office for a write off and health insurance residency); will be looking at cab seats that can turn around; like the RV refrig (gas and electric) not residential; it has duel pane windows; heated compartments; decent size tanks (will be getting a seperate 30 gal fresh water blow-up to refill fresh water); it has 4 jacks; a stove; enough of a shower (slightly bigger than what I had on the boat); cab over head bunk is a place to get away from the doggies, to read a nice book, watch TV or just get an entertainment center instead of the bunk; don't really plan on taking a lot of "stuff" so storage not a big concern (have the toad as well); less money for insurance; your making me thing here....lol...tires are less expensive; engine noise is less because engine is in front of you; a replacement windshield and potential damage to same are much less; there are three (3) doors to get in and out of; the wife can drive it; can get gas at more places because of height; there is less side wind issues driving on the highway; weighs less and has enough roof for sufficent solar.

But, I'm not quite there yet. Will be going to Indiana for a few days in the next month or two to check things out personally. I can tell you one thing I've learned on here and other sites, the walk through before delivery will take quite a while Am I missing something?
Old 10-29-2016, 09:27 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post
Well...I hear you and was very tempted to go with an A. Liked the Bounder 32 or 33 something, great floor plan. Want to stay under 35 for sure. (I do plan to tow either a chevy spark (2300 lbs) or a 2014 jeep patriot (2900 lbs) , like the 4 wheel drive).

Either will tow that size of car easily.

But, The C can be repaired anywhere and is less expensive to repair; is easier to work on, including by me; it has the same motor and transmission as the Bounder, I think;

A class-A is actually easier to work on than a big-block shoved into a van front end.

it gets a tad better gas millage; is smaller for back (country) roads and some parks; is safer with air bags;

The difference in mileage is the difference in weight. An A is actually better with wind management.

overhang blocks the sun when driving into it;

That's why god invented sun-visors, and really, how often do you drive into a setting sun?

is a tad less expensive new than a decent used A (someone else's problems, unknown care); ( also has a 6 speed trans, don't have to get the 5 star);

Not sure what 5-star is, but drivetrain is more similar than different, an A is just a little more heavy duty. Actually a little more durable and higher GVW and GCVW.

will be full time-ish, probably 7-8 months a year (need to keep my house/office for a write off and health insurance residency); will be looking at cab seats that can turn around; like the RV refrig (gas and electric) not residential;

The smaller A's all have RV fridge - I agree, hate RES fridges. Our 12 year old Norcold is just fantastic. And the front recliners swivel around but don't feel like they're in a cave. Seriously, the cab on a C is worthless at camp.

it has duel pane windows; heated compartments; decent size tanks

An A has all this and more storage to boot.

(will be getting a separate 30 gal fresh water blow-up to refill fresh water);

If you want to haul more water an A will do it easier.

Am I missing something?
The rest just on ad infinitem.

Yes, what you're missing is you haven't lived with both. I really don't care what you get per se, just pointing out that your reasons and logic for selection is just one-sided for a C.

If that's what you really want go for it. If you spend a lot of time in it I can pretty much guarantee you'll want a bigger one within a year or two.

This is our third motorhome and while we would love to have a 40' DP ours has a short wheelbase and can get into almost anywhere a pickup and camper can get.

I would encourage you to check out that 32-33' bounder again. It will have twice the capacity of any C and a better floorplan. Will be just as easy to drive.

If you want compact then get a sprinter van conversion - now you got something compact, easy to drive and get some really good mileage, make really good speed.

IMO the 'C' is perfect for families with kids for weekending. YMMV.

31-footer here...Colorado 4x4 toad. It's all good. These have a street value of well under $50K.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:13 AM   #8

Quote:

But, The C can be repaired anywhere and is less expensive to repair; is easier to work on, including by me; it has the same motor and transmission as the Bounder, I think; it gets a tad better gas millage; is smaller for back (country) roads and some parks; is safer with air bags; overhang blocks the sun when driving into it; is a tad less expensive new than a decent used A (someone else's problems, unknown care); ( also has a 6 speed trans, don't have to get the 5 star); will be full time-ish, probably 7-8 months a year (need to keep my house/office for a write off and health insurance residency); will be looking at cab seats that can turn around; like the RV refrig (gas and electric) not residential; it has duel pane windows; heated compartments; decent size tanks (will be getting a seperate 30 gal fresh water blow-up to refill fresh water); it has 4 jacks; a stove; enough of a shower (slightly bigger than what I had on the boat); cab over head bunk is a place to get away from the doggies, to read a nice book, watch TV or just get an entertainment center instead of the bunk; don't really plan on taking a lot of "stuff" so storage not a big concern (have the toad as well); less money for insurance; your making me thing here....lol...tires are less expensive; engine noise is less because engine is in front of you; a replacement windshield and potential damage to same are much less; there are three (3) doors to get in and out of; the wife can drive it; can get gas at more places because of height; there is less side wind issues driving on the highway; weighs less and has enough roof for sufficent solar.

But, I'm not quite there yet. Will be going to Indiana for a few days in the next month or two to check things out personally. I can tell you one thing I've learned on here and other sites, the walk through before delivery will take quite a while Am I missing something?
they don't have the same motor....they also have smaller brakes... way less storage, smaller little 16'' wheels.... the class a has a bigger radiator, the a has a way way more powerful 3 valve triton motor...bigger everything.. although most C's have more sleeping areas.... the class A's have more of everything else...personaly... I would not go over 24' with a C class
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 08:26 AM   #9

Quote:

you do not have to get a 5 star, in fact you do not have to get anything... all the up grades are just that and are not mandatory..for everyone that did a mod... there are 1000 that didn't... every motorhome made you can jump in it and drive cross country... if you don't belive that go to any manifactor and watch how many go from Indiana to California on there first trip..I run in to rv'r after rv'r that have bought their RV and have done nothing but enjoy it..

then theirs people that are like my self and have to tinker with everything....

have to laugh thogh... everytime I fix or mod some thing I always have to drag my wife out and say hey-lam ( hey look at me) look what I did.... always the same reply..."that nice", now can we go to the movies....lol

some people just want betterment, and wanna mess with it.... but in reality...the coach will go cross country as is...might have to learn to drive it , or slow down in the wind...but they will do just fine for the mass.............
Old 10-31-2016, 08:34 AM   #10

now here's my reply to the original question...get what you want... but don't expect anyone but your wife to say it's the "perfect" motorhome..

if that was the case they would make oone... they can't even make bars of soap in the same size shape or color to suit everyone...look what they did with cigs and cans of beer
Old 10-31-2016, 04:43 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
now here's my reply to the original question...get what you want... but don't expect anyone but your wife to say it's the "perfect" motorhome..

if that was the case they would make oone... they can't even make bars of soap in the same size shape or color to suit everyone...look what they did with cigs and cans of beer
Old 11-02-2016, 09:48 PM   #12

Wow guys thanks for all the input and thoughtful experiences!

Nice rig by the way, I won't get into all the questions I have aboubt solar...lol

I was hoping to get some "validation" on here..lol. The one with the sun vissor was good.

It is pure torture to figure it all out and after all is said and done, whatever the decision, it is still just a starter kit! And the only way to really figure what is good for us....is to just do it! There is much to learn and experience

Has anyone heard about any issues with the new 6 speed trans? The 5 star is used to fix the 5 speed trans that would skip a gear when going up or down hills, mountains. From what I heard it went from 5th to 3rd, skipped 4th. I just read there is also an issue with the new 6 speeds if you are doing over 45 mph, same thing happens. It makes the engine rpms go up which is louder than you would want.

Guess I have some more thinking to do because you all raised some very good points

Thanks for taking your time in doins so.

Looking forward to November 8th...lol
Old 11-03-2016, 10:41 AM   #13

Only you can decide what works for you.

I have owned 3 Class A motorhomes. Currently, we have a new Class C.
It works very well for us. Easy and fun. Exactly what the RV lifestyle should be.
We enjoy it so much, for so many reasons....that I would never go back to a Class A again.
GoneToTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:13 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I have owned both and they were on the smaller side which is what you seem to be wanting. 29' Class C, and now a 28' Class A

Unless things have changed the E-450 chassis has the two valve V-10 and the F-53 chassis has the three valve V-10 with 20 or so more HP. I did notice a difference with my Class A, especially when towing.

I do not have the 6 speed transmission but have heard so many that didn't like them when they first came out that I am glad i have the 5 speed. I am sure that ford has worked the bugs out of the new 6 speed by now.

Width of the box is the same on both styles. The difference is that the front wheels line up with the inside set of duals on the E-450 and on the F53 the front wheels line up with the outside set of duals (a bit more stability)

With an E-450 you do have the safety advantage of the factory air bags and ergonomics, all of which I do not have with my Class A.

Storage space on my Class A is two to three times what I had with my Class C. I am still amazed at how many empty cabinets we have in our new coach.

I think the Class A drives better but it is hard to really compare because my class C was a 2009 and the class A is a 2015.

I took a factory tour at Fleetwood this summer and they stated that they have done away with all Gas absorption (RV style) refrigerators in favor of residential models and inverters. I however do not know if this applies to their Class C's

All Class A's come with leveling jacks while mine old unit and most Class C styles have that as an option. It is so much nicer than running out and laying 2x8's down and driving on them.

You mentioned handling and in my case the Class A is much easier to manuever as the steering is set up for a much smaller turning radius than the Class C was.

Bottom line is, get what you like and use it a lot. Enjoy the voyage and have fun. You are correct there are tradeoffs no matter what you get and I will be excited to see the pictures or what ever you get.

As they say without pictures it didn't happen.

Tags
fleetwood, class c