Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2017, 10:07 PM   #1

2017 Fleetwood Storm

Anybody have one and what were your initial problems that needed to be fixed.

Found some screws poking thru the top of the slide from the window shades and some how lets in water dealer is working on this now and the engine cover was very poorly mounted and off center good thing i wanted to take it off and look at the motor not to mention the floor was loose or not supported these issues are a matter of very poor construction they can be fixed but dam good thing i started crawling all over this coach this not my first new coach but I recommend any one buying new go over it with a fine tooth comb.
just saying unless you open close crawl around and inspect every square inch in the first days of ownership you will spend to much time later getting things fixed. The fuel line for the Genny was routed under the frame instead of up and over I thought that was a hazard having it right there behind the front tire I’m having it rerouted by the dealer. Just some food for thought. I really like this layout so I’m making sure the dealer is fixing every little thing. Then I will deal with it later with some mods of my own. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	593.6 KB
ID:	184087
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2017, 03:17 PM   #2

Check the fuel nozzle. Someone used self tapping screws in the retaining ring too small for the holes. Nozzle fell out during refueling. Big mess.

Relay box in the back Bay was loose. No screws holding it.

Rear window frame installed wrong. Body pulled away from the frame and leaked during first rain.

Slide rollers loose. Needed tightening.

Front end not aligned. Suggest doing CHF, also.

Heater started short cycling. Turned out to be a bad 12v wire.

Kitchen sink leaked. Drain cap crossthreaded.

Fridge was not cooling. Had a blocked fan.

For some reason FW installed flaps forward of the rear tires. When you drive they rub on the tires. Soon you will have holes in them. Had to rig brackets to hold them off the tires.

Latest is the On Demand water heater won't come on unless I turn both sink faucets on. Used to work fine.

There have been other small things but was able to fix those.

Hope yours was put together better than mine.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:52 PM   #3

That’s the same on my mudflats burned right on thru i will check mine for your issues thanks for the reply these conversations help other people look for problems on there coach.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:05 PM   #4

Also forgot, get yourself a couple of Flow-Rite battery fill kits. For some reason FW installed two of the batteries in an impossible position to top off the water. The kits make it a 5 minute job. I don't think FW cares if we have to maintain these things.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsqrd View Post
Also forgot, get yourself a couple of Flow-Rite battery fill kits. For some reason FW installed two of the batteries in an impossible position to top off the water. The kits make it a 5 minute job. I don't think FW cares if we have to maintain these things.

Yes I will that is what i thought i would have to do its a bad setup for those two batteries . I’m still waiting to here about the engine cover nightmare it has to get approved I’m sure they will have to fix and the unfinished floor on the driver-side they just glued a piece of carpet to the floor there wasn’t even any tile there i wish i lived closer to the factory .thanks for your replies .
Old 12-08-2017, 08:59 PM   #6

We have a 2017 36D Bought in february at Lazydays a few minor issues. most serious issue was small frig in outdoor kitchen would not get cooler then 45-50 degrees. Didn't notice till we got home to PA. Lazydays said we would have to return to FL. Said not for a $130.00 frig. Called Fleetwood service rep there said go buy new frig send them receipt, i did got check in two weeks thought that made sense. Also small shelves in pantry were cut to small they sent new ones 1/2" larger. Other then that went on 5 trips over summer all good. heading to Fl in winter hope all will be good.
PA Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 02:19 PM   #7

Another Issue

Well I just discovered two more issues. While my Rig was at LaMesa RV for two months getting cracks in the sidewall fixed among other issues, they killed my Coach battery. They jumped it to start it so I could drive it home but didn't tell me. I discovered the dead battery when I got home so I plugged it in to charge it, but would not charge. After some troubleshooting discovered that one of the fuses in the block in the engine bay was blown. After more investigation found that the wrong size fuses were installed in the wrong circuits. The smaller sized fuse (in the wrong location) had blown when the battery had tried to charge. I moved the 200A fuse to the charge/battery circuit (per FW diagram) and obtained a new 135A fuse for the Leveler pump circuit. Also had to replace the battery as it was toast. Called FW to get reimbursed for my battery but since I was 2 weeks past my one year warranty I was out of luck. Quote "Not responsible for Manufacturer defects after the warranty period". Thanks FW for the great customer support.

The other thing I found while crawling under the Rig were split grease boots on the center steering Drag link. This appears to be a common issue. Took it directly to Ford and they replaced them under warranty. Should be a safety recall. Ford Dealer was great, no questions asked. So check your rig for these issues. Hope I am coming to the end of my issues with this rig.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:51 AM   #8

Fleetwood Storm Issues

We have a Storm (Brought New) and have had issues with the bed over the driver/passengers seat failing to raise one time and failing to lower another time.

The first time the bed would not raise and had to run a cord from the battery to raise the bed. The dealer replace the motor that time. The next failure was when the bed would not lower. Started working the next morning. Waiting on appointment at dealer.

Also have had problems with the interior trim and paneling pulling loose and having to be nailed/stapled back in place.

Workmen ship on this unit was poor in some cases.
AndyHet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:01 PM   #9

Boy, not sure where to start. Bought a brand new 2014 32H off the floor at an RV show in Sacramento in April 2014. List was $98k, we ended up at $79 plus a few add ones. 3m clear bra, for $1400, paint sealer for $1600 and inside out extended warranty. First thing before we took delivery was to get the whole front end repainted from rock chips on the way out from Indiana. No cost. Then we took delivery. First thing the Onan circuit board went bad. No cost. Then the shower walls split at the base, plus started leaking, new shower liner and repaired back of faucets, no cost. Dash, started coming loose from bad CA roads. Turns out the self drilling drywall screws under the vinyl strip that runs across the top of the dash that were not long enough to seat into solid surface. I fixed that by longer screws and put them down into the square frame tubing with lock tight. Problem solved, but that didn’t stop the lower plastic skirt from cracking and splitting. Bad design. Doghouse (motor cover) cracked from stepping up on it. My bad, but who would think? Windshield washer pump went bad. No huge deal. By the way, good luck in servicing your air cleaner. Fleetwood has the box up against the inside not allowing you to flip the latches and replace the old element. You have to dissemble the whole AC box. Nice design, NOT. By the way, most F53 chassis stuff was fine. Ford makes a decent RV chassis for the most part and the V12 is a good engine. Back inside...toilet has a weird turn going down causing frequent clogs. Just deal with it. Lots of wand use. Bunk ladder bracket broke off, plastic and easy to replace. Wall paper in the bed room started to peel off, glued it back. 3m contact cement, no more problems. Bedroom slide out started to hesitate on the out and in run. Possible solenoid. I never fixed it, once it was moving I never took my finger off the button until it was in home position. Seemed to be the answer. Discovered you couldn’t pass a satellite signal through the passive switcher after connecting to the 75ohm cable tv input on the outside of the coach. Had to go around the switcher in the back with a satellite splitter for my Dish tailgater. Cheap switcher. I hate running video cables in the window, not my thing. External CD player replaced twice, still never worked. I gave up, didn’t care, used my Bose for outside music. Under the chassis, the sheet steel wall used as a heat shield from the exhaust, came loose. It’s right in front of the steps behind the curbside front wheel. Had it reinforced and welded. Bad assembly line work. Also had to replace the steps because a rivet broke. That was a warranty item.

On a trip out of Edwards AFB, cutting through the back roads to catch HWY 395 to HWY 15, a piece of front windshield molding came loose flapping against the side of the coach. Stopped and tapped it back with duck tape. Bad idea, but no other choice. It melted in the heat came loose again. Had to cut it off. Going through Phoenix, heading towards Tucson, the temp soared to 114 on the road. Bad idea on my part to make the trip in July/Aug. Three people and a standard poodle inside of a tin can heading to Tucson’s Catalina State Park. Inside the RV the temp was over 100, wet towels on the dog, bags of ice on everyone’s lap. Just a wee bit crazy. We stopped at a rest stop for a break and my wife wondered if the old egg trick on the road worked. It did, not surprising. Anyway.... you all must be wondering how the cab AC was performing, LOL. In that temp, it didn’t make any difference if it was on or off. Oh, and the single roof AC? I had tried that with the Onan running down the highway. It turns out, the place Fleetwood put the generator, being an air cooled motor, it couldn’t get enough air through it and it shut down after about 15 miles. Won’t run in those extreme temps while your moving. It got so hot it melted the panel on the inside of the basement door at the generator. After arriving at our destination, I had to repair the front windshield. I dug all the old sealer out, taped it off and fill the channel with black silicone. Smoothed it off with a puddy knife and it was good until we got home. I had to replace the windshield anyway because of a rock hit.
Over all, even with the problems, the Storm fit our needs as far as the layout was concerned, it’s just Fleetwood’s entry level class A crossover that was put together poorly.

I sold the coach in Feb for $68k, to a guy in Dallas after putting 19000 miles on it. He flew up and drove it 2000 miles back. I did a complete inspection, tires, new oil, and any final repairs before he took delivery. He was happy until he was coming into Tucumari, NM when the inside rear dual on the drivers side blew. It shredded and cut the main wiring harness in half that Fleetwood ran up and over the wall of the chassis above the rear inside tire. Took out all electrical. Not a good thing. Once again bad design by Fleetwood. Tires were all checked before the trip, he thinks he hit something in the road a few miles back. After about a month, in the shop, the Storm is back camping.

I have since moved into a one owner, 38PST Monaco Camelot with 28k miles. This is my 6th RV and 1st DP. Very happy and have not had any problems to speak of. Sorry for rambling on, I thought it would be good info to pass on.
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:08 PM   #10

wow I think you have the new record for coach issues...sorry to say.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:04 PM   #11

Yeah it definitely left a sour taste in my mouth for Fleetwood.
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 01:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBunker View Post
Boy, not sure where to start. Bought a brand new 2014 32H off the floor at an RV show in Sacramento in April 2014. List was $98k, we ended up at $79 plus a few add ones. 3m clear bra, for $1400, paint sealer for $1600 and inside out extended warranty. First thing before we took delivery was to get the whole front end repainted from rock chips on the way out from Indiana. No cost. Then we took delivery. First thing the Onan circuit board went bad. No cost. Then the shower walls split at the base, plus started leaking, new shower liner and repaired back of faucets, no cost. Dash, started coming loose from bad CA roads. Turns out the self drilling drywall screws under the vinyl strip that runs across the top of the dash that were not long enough to seat into solid surface. I fixed that by longer screws and put them down into the square frame tubing with lock tight. Problem solved, but that didn’t stop the lower plastic skirt from cracking and splitting. Bad design. Doghouse (motor cover) cracked from stepping up on it. My bad, but who would think? Windshield washer pump went bad. No huge deal. By the way, good luck in servicing your air cleaner. Fleetwood has the box up against the inside not allowing you to flip the latches and replace the old element. You have to dissemble the whole AC box. Nice design, NOT. By the way, most F53 chassis stuff was fine. Ford makes a decent RV chassis for the most part and the V12 is a good engine. Back inside...toilet has a weird turn going down causing frequent clogs. Just deal with it. Lots of wand use. Bunk ladder bracket broke off, plastic and easy to replace. Wall paper in the bed room started to peel off, glued it back. 3m contact cement, no more problems. Bedroom slide out started to hesitate on the out and in run. Possible solenoid. I never fixed it, once it was moving I never took my finger off the button until it was in home position. Seemed to be the answer. Discovered you couldn’t pass a satellite signal through the passive switcher after connecting to the 75ohm cable tv input on the outside of the coach. Had to go around the switcher in the back with a satellite splitter for my Dish tailgater. Cheap switcher. I hate running video cables in the window, not my thing. External CD player replaced twice, still never worked. I gave up, didn’t care, used my Bose for outside music. Under the chassis, the sheet steel wall used as a heat shield from the exhaust, came loose. It’s right in front of the steps behind the curbside front wheel. Had it reinforced and welded. Bad assembly line work. Also had to replace the steps because a rivet broke. That was a warranty item.

On a trip out of Edwards AFB, cutting through the back roads to catch HWY 395 to HWY 15, a piece of front windshield molding came loose flapping against the side of the coach. Stopped and tapped it back with duck tape. Bad idea, but no other choice. It melted in the heat came loose again. Had to cut it off. Going through Phoenix, heading towards Tucson, the temp soared to 114 on the road. Bad idea on my part to make the trip in July/Aug. Three people and a standard poodle inside of a tin can heading to Tucson’s Catalina State Park. Inside the RV the temp was over 100, wet towels on the dog, bags of ice on everyone’s lap. Just a wee bit crazy. We stopped at a rest stop for a break and my wife wondered if the old egg trick on the road worked. It did, not surprising. Anyway.... you all must be wondering how the cab AC was performing, LOL. In that temp, it didn’t make any difference if it was on or off. Oh, and the single roof AC? I had tried that with the Onan running down the highway. It turns out, the place Fleetwood put the generator, being an air cooled motor, it couldn’t get enough air through it and it shut down after about 15 miles. Won’t run in those extreme temps while your moving. It got so hot it melted the panel on the inside of the basement door at the generator. After arriving at our destination, I had to repair the front windshield. I dug all the old sealer out, taped it off and fill the channel with black silicone. Smoothed it off with a puddy knife and it was good until we got home. I had to replace the windshield anyway because of a rock hit.
Over all, even with the problems, the Storm fit our needs as far as the layout was concerned, it’s just Fleetwood’s entry level class A crossover that was put together poorly.

I sold the coach in Feb for $68k, to a guy in Dallas after putting 19000 miles on it. He flew up and drove it 2000 miles back. I did a complete inspection, tires, new oil, and any final repairs before he took delivery. He was happy until he was coming into Tucumari, NM when the inside rear dual on the drivers side blew. It shredded and cut the main wiring harness in half that Fleetwood ran up and over the wall of the chassis above the rear inside tire. Took out all electrical. Not a good thing. Once again bad design by Fleetwood. Tires were all checked before the trip, he thinks he hit something in the road a few miles back. After about a month, in the shop, the Storm is back camping.

I have since moved into a one owner, 38PST Monaco Camelot with 28k miles. This is my 6th RV and 1st DP. Very happy and have not had any problems to speak of. Sorry for rambling on, I thought it would be good info to pass on.
We had many of the same problems with our 2012 Storm. Still have some of them.
The big one is that the passenger side wall from the steps all the way forward has seperated from the floor. You can see the road thru the 1/2" to 3/4" gap, and water on a wet road finds you. Fleetwood builds POS products.
micbit96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood