Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2016, 02:16 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
30 Amp Connection

I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced this same issue. When we bought our 2001 Bounder we decided to install a 30 amp connection. We used a 30 GFCI breaker in the box. First time we used it we blew the breaker. I tried it in a regular exterior GFCI breaker outlet. Once again we popped the breaker at the outlet. Finally we installed a regular non GFCI 30 amp breaker and it does not blow that type of breaker. I really don't understand why we blow the GFCI but not the regular breaker. We also do not blow ant breakers at a campground ??? Would really appreciate any help from some electrically minded folks.

Thanks

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2016, 02:20 PM   #2

Turn all your breakers off in the motorhome, plug in and then turn them on one by one to see which device is tripping the GF.

You will likely find it's the Charger/Inverter. If thats the case there is probably a "bond" (jumper) between Neutral and Ground in the Inverter part which can probably be removed...
Old 03-29-2016, 02:23 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your MH most likely has some leakage to ground. Water Heater, Frig, and outside outlet are common causes. 30 amp service at CGs are not GFCI protected.

Try opening all your breakers in the MH, if it doesn't trip, close them one at a time till it does. That would be the offending circuit. Troubleshoot from there.You typeFASTER

DanielB You type Faster
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:27 PM   #4

You have GFCI outlets in your coach. You are attempting to plug into a GFCI outlet. That will not work. You can not have GFCI outlets in series.
MrNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:36 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by silveradohd View Post
You have GFCI outlets in your coach. You are attempting to plug into a GFCI outlet. That will not work. You can not have GFCI outlets in series.
Definitely not true, totally wrong, ignore.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:55 PM   #6

Chuck out the GFI at the post equivalent and forgetaboutit.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:14 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
OK ...... so there is no GFCI at the post. Not that the location matters a lot but I have (no longer installed) a GFCI breaker in my circuit breaker box in the garage. I was informed, not by an electrician, that since it is an outside connection that it must be on a GFCI. It makes sense so I guess I need to start checking to see what circuit in the coach is actually tripping it. I have no inverter so that isn't the problem.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:23 AM   #8

I think I read that the icemakers in the Norcold fridge are sometimes the culprit.
Don't forget to let us know what you find...
Old 03-30-2016, 06:32 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
OK ...... so there is no GFCI at the post. Not that the location matters a lot but I have (no longer installed) a GFCI breaker in my circuit breaker box in the garage. I was informed, not by an electrician, that since it is an outside connection that it must be on a GFCI. It makes sense so I guess I need to start checking to see what circuit in the coach is actually tripping it. I have no inverter so that isn't the problem.
I think that HHIDan meant the "converter charger".
normandlegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:11 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
No ice maker, so that is out. It'll actually be a week or 2 before I get into it again. It's still cold in VT and the bus is still covered. Just looking for ideas when I do get into it.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
I'm curious to know if anyone else has experienced this same issue. When we bought our 2001 Bounder we decided to install a 30 amp connection. We used a 30 GFCI breaker in the box. First time we used it we blew the breaker. I tried it in a regular exterior GFCI breaker outlet. Once again we popped the breaker at the outlet. Finally we installed a regular non GFCI 30 amp breaker and it does not blow that type of breaker. I really don't understand why we blow the GFCI but not the regular breaker. We also do not blow ant breakers at a campground ??? Would really appreciate any help from some electrically minded folks.

Thanks

30amp 110 not 30 220
Old 03-30-2016, 04:04 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Some common GFCI trippers in a coach are the converter/charger and the electric heat element in the fridge (which is on when in AC mode but not LP). It is also possible that somebody bonded the neutral and ground in the coach breaker panel. That should not be done and will result in tripping a GFCI.

Please note that tripping a GFCI is a different problem than the more common high amp breaker trip. You have a ground fault, so a non-GFCI breaker won't detect it. You really should find and fix the fault, though, since it represents a potentially dangerous situation (risk of electrical shock). rgvtexan gave advice on how to find the circuit with the problem.

However, it could be a any number of things.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 04:29 PM   #13

FWIW If you look up the code for a recreational vehicle connection that calls for a ground and bond at the post with no GFI for the 30 or 50 A connection. The 20 A connection is supposed to be a GFI. That is different than what is used in about every other connection in the average home. What you need to do is make sure there is a good path to ground for both the neutral return and the safety ground.

I will add the calrod if you have electric hot water as another potential leakage point.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
30amp 110 not 30 220

Sorry my bad stupid answer should have read better before answer.