Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2014, 08:27 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
30amp works, 50 amp doesn't

My 08 FW Discovery plugged into 50 amp will show 50 amps at the coach on the Intellitec load meter and looks like everything is ok (power status shows all circuits good) but I have not power in the coach and the Magnum Energy Inverter/Charger is shows no power or charging. When I plug into 30 amps, everything works fine. When I run the generator, it provides 50 amps and everything works fine. Thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
KIX

Sounds like a connection inside the transfer switch. Disco power, open it up and check all the connections.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:41 PM   #3

I have had that exact thing happen two different times in two different parks and both times it was a bad 50 amp breaker in the park.

You are welcome. There is no charge for this public service I have learned the hard way after spending several days with no a/c in the front in 110 degree temps.
arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:49 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Are you sure there is power on the pedestal? Circuit breaker may be bad on it.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:55 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
The Intellitec 50 amp Smart Energy Management System (model 900) in the coach fires up and after a min turns on all of the main circuit lights on the Intellitec display. That should mean that I am getting power to the coach.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:57 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post

Sounds like a connection inside the transfer switch. Disco power, open it up and check all the connections.
The transfer switch is working correctly because it is transferring the 30 amp power to the coach so it should transfer the 50 amp the same which it is doing since he states that it shows up at the Intellitec load meter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arby View Post

I have had that exact thing happen two different times in two different parks and both times it was a bad 50 amp breaker in the park.

You are welcome. There is no charge for this public service I have learned the hard way after spending several days with no a/c in the front in 110 degree temps.
This could be a possibility ONLY if the 50 amp shore power was not getting from the pedestal to the coach at all but it is because it shows up on the Intellitec Load Display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgreen View Post

My 08 FW Discovery plugged into 50 amp will show 50 amps at the coach on the Intellitec load meter and looks like everything is ok (power status shows all circuits good) but I have not power in the coach and the Magnum Energy Inverter/Charger is shows no power or charging. When I plug into 30 amps, everything works fine. When I run the generator, it provides 50 amps and everything works fine. Thoughts?
You have a different Intellitec Power System than I do but that's the first place I would look.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
The transfer switch is working correctly because it is transferring the 30 amp power to the coach so it should transfer the 50 amp the same which it is doing since he states that it shows up at the Intellitec load meter.
Not necessarily. Since there are separate contactors in the transfer switch for shore and for the genset, It is entirely possible that either of the contact points for the L1/L2 legs on the shore side contactor outbound side are either burnt or corroded to the point of either passing a very low voltage or none at all.

Back to the issue at hand... jrgreen, if you're comfortable working with AC voltage and the cover off of the transfer switch, if it were me, I would plug the unit into 50amp shore and with my meter, would begin checking voltages on L1 and L2 on the transfer switch wiring itself. This will also confirm your pedestal wiring. IF you have both legs being passed thru correctly, then my next step would be inside behind the breaker panel and of course the wiring for the EMS itself. This gets complex.. but many of us can walk you through testing it if you are comfortable doing so.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:46 AM   #8

Assuming you are in a campgrounds, move to another site and try it.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:33 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I found the transfer switch in a hole behind an access panel in the closet. Before I started with measurements, we had to go shopping (a happy mama bear is a happy family) so I stopped at the campground office and asked them to check to post power. Sure enough, the 50 amp is bad. It looks like it's time to buy a Surge Guard so I know right away next time. Thanks to all who responded.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:41 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you for the update.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Until you get some electrical protection for your rig, here's a handy video on how to check pedestals. There's also a great link for all rv related electrical issues.

RV Electric
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote