Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2014, 10:08 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
330 Cat question

We brought our new (to us) 2003 Disco 39L home this weekend and I'm warning you right now there are going to be about a million Discovery-specific questions posted over the next couple of months. You've been warned.

My current DP runs a Cummins (that coach is now for sale), the new Disco has the Cat 330 and of course I have to start poking around, gathering all the info I can on the new drive train. The owners manuals are less than useless, they don't tell me much of anything so off the googleville I go.

Well, from what I can gather I don't have a clue as to which Cat I have. Seems Cat switched from the 3126E to the C7 in 2003, right when my coach was being built. I'm guessing I have the E simply due to Fleetwood wanting to use up existing engine stock before transitioning, but I could be wrong. Also, it appears that it was in mid/late 2003 Cat went to the newer ACERT system as well (72 pin to 102?), so I don't know which version of that I have either.

I tried going to Freightliner hoping there was a place I could enter my FIN and get a build list for my chassis but no dice. Nothing there either.

Frankly the damn manuals don't even tell me which Allison I have - 3000? 4000? I did the crawl but that didn't get me very far, forgot my cheaters, couldn't find a plate anywhere

I guess I'm just an old gearhead and want to know what's under the hood. What would be very cool is if there is a Fleetwood or Freightliner resource that would help me research my particular build.
Any help would be appreciated,

cheers...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2014, 11:29 PM   #2
Cat

If you can get me a engine serial number and I can tell you what you've got. Most of the time they put an Allison 3000 behind the Cat 300 and 330.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 11:35 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
I have read in the forums if you call Fleetwood and have your serial number they can send you a build sheet with all the info on it. Check the "Stickys" at the top for the number to call. Best of luck.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:19 AM   #4

I took pictures of all of the papers stuck in the cabinets, the VIN tag, and the FIN tag. I printed them off for my file and put a copy in my computer. Then they will always be at hand when you need them. Fleetwood can supply you with schematics of the electrical and plumbing prints. Freightliner can supply you with chasis stuff. Freightliner can tell you what kind of engine you have. My 05 Discovery was actually built in 04. So you have to go by the serial number for your rig. I found the link on Fleetwood to get the schematics and they will email you a pdf file of each.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardbark View Post
We brought our new (to us) 2003 Disco 39L home this weekend and I'm warning you right now there are going to be about a million Discovery-specific questions posted over the next couple of months. You've been warned.
Well, from what I can gather I don't have a clue as to which Cat I have.
Also, it appears that it was in mid/late 2003 Cat went to the newer ACERT system as well (72 pin to 102?), so I don't know which version of that I have either.
Any help would be appreciated,
ardbark
IMO the only place to get correct Cat engine information is directly from Caterpillar.
If you call the Caterpillar RV Hotline, (877 777-3126) with your engine serial number they can, and will, tell you anything you need to know about your particular Cat engine.... (which engine you have, it's oil capacity, filter number, oil change interval, recommenced oil, etc.)

However, any other info and specs about your coach you will have to get from Fleetwood or Freightliner..... (or rely on often questionable forum answers and opinions).

Mel
'96 Safari, 3126 Cat
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 01:33 PM   #6
Cat

Not all the information you get is bad or wrong - if it was why have a forum? Some us still work and have access to to factory information some can be disclosed and some is propitiatory and can not be shared. I agree some information should gotten directly from the factory, parts, software updates. But there is alot of good information here, and people with years of experiance, in oil samples- the Allison guy, there is a guy with years of filter knowledge . Some are opinions some is actual knowledge. I've seen quite a few techs over the years this is what they do for a living and they don't have a clue. All information I get I evaluate no matter where it comes. if it makes sense and it's not a major make or break thing ok. But if it's a major decision I will cross check my information even if it comes from a engine maker.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:43 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Our first coach was an 03 Excursion with a Cat C 7. Really great engine with plenty of power for weight to ratio. Tranny is MH 3000 only tip I can provide is Allison at that period had two different tranny pans. One shallow, two inches one deep 4 inches. Only found this out when changing to new transmission fluid. FWIW there is a national Discovery forum. Really don't know how active. However, had a site next to a fellow deeply involved with Discovery rally's etc. Best of luck in your search I went thru the same issue no manuals google and RV library were a great help.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:02 PM   #8

A call to the Freightliner free help line , when I first started , provided, engine s/n, trans s/n, diff s/n and other important info.
Have your chassis s/n handy when you call.
Inquire abut joining, Access Freightliner, takes a while but gives online access to wiring and parts info.
1-800-385-4357

Huge differences in the Cat vs Cummins fuel systems. Get out your cheaters and a note book , your back in school.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:47 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
A call to the Freightliner free help line , when I first started , provided, engine s/n, trans s/n, diff s/n and other important info.
Have your chassis s/n handy when you call.
Inquire abut joining, Access Freightliner, takes a while but gives online access to wiring and parts info.
1-800-385-4357

Huge differences in the Cat vs Cummins fuel systems. Get out your cheaters and a note book , your back in school.
Joined Access Freightliner a few years back. Huge PITA to get the account set up and after weeks of dinking around (and the rep at the local FL shop who was helping me set up the account was a personal friend BTW) found it to be less than helpful.

Heard good things about FL customer support though, I think I'll try that route first. Chassis serial number is tagged in the radiator compartment, big letters and everything
Old 09-02-2014, 06:52 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
Our first coach was an 03 Excursion with a Cat C 7. Really great engine with plenty of power for weight to ratio. Tranny is MH 3000 only tip I can provide is Allison at that period had two different tranny pans. One shallow, two inches one deep 4 inches. Only found this out when changing to new transmission fluid. FWIW there is a national Discovery forum. Really don't know how active. However, had a site next to a fellow deeply involved with Discovery rally's etc. Best of luck in your search I went thru the same issue no manuals google and RV library were a great help.
A C7 in 2003 eh? Was it a late year build? My Born On Date is May 2003 so might be right on the cusp of the changeover.

RV Library? That's a new one on me. Got a link or description?

cheers...
Old 09-03-2014, 08:14 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
RVTechLibrary.com. It is an affiliate of the Tiffin owners and Tiffin MH. Lots of information as to DIY. There is also a FW library for manuals. But the "Sticky" is a better reference. Yes my Excursion was on the cusp and at that time "Exotic Nature" was an upgrade in the line.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:21 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
RVTechLibrary.com. It is an affiliate of the Tiffin owners and Tiffin MH. Lots of information as to DIY. There is also a FW library for manuals. But the "Sticky" is a better reference. Yes my Excursion was on the cusp and at that time "Exotic Nature" was an upgrade in the line.
Don't know what "exotic nature" means but the rvtechlibrary web site is pretty cool. Any information is good information. At first blush it looks like they only have specs on the C7 and I haven't tracked down if I have a C7 or late E series. Need to do the crawl under the coach and get a serial number, then make a call to CAT.

Frankly, I don't know if there is much of a difference between late E's and early 7's, but what I read they revamped the ACERTS for the 2004 smog regs (and called it a C7) so maybe there is a delta here somewhere.

Thanks much...

Tags
cat