RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2019, 09:48 AM   #1

35 gal black tank only holding 15 gal ?

About 5 months ago we purchased a 2015 Fleetwood Storm. First couple of trips out I noticed the black tank would back up at half full. I figured it was sensors and I didn't dump all the way. Cleaned tank completely. Did some tricks I read about here before heading out again. Same result. Half full backs up. Ran water down vent, ran cleaning wand down toilet, filled with clean water and let sit for 2 weeks. Nothing. Last weekend I finally measured the amount of water that fit, about 15 gal. I'm stumped as to what to do next Any suggestions appreciated.

Halestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #2

There may be a big layer of solids that have solidified in the tank. I have found that Dawn Liquid Dish Soap and a bunch of icecubes can help break this up while driving around. If the MH needs to sit for a while, add 5 gallons of water and a tank enzyme to work on it.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:00 PM   #3

I suppose that's possible but since the sensors show empty and then only half full I'm not sure if that is the problem. Plus, after 2 weeks of fresh water sitting in tank it came out clean. I would think some sediment would dislodge in 2 weeks. I'm taking it in next week for dealership to fix. Might even be under warranty if its a factory plumbing error.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:45 PM   #4

Maybe the cutout from the tank opening(s) are floating around and then when you empty, they follow the water flow and shut off the opening...
Old 02-12-2019, 05:41 AM   #5

It sounds like the vent pipe may be protruding into the tank too far. The waste rises in the tank until it blocks the vent pipe. That will not let any more waste into the tank. For waste to enter air must be able to escape.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
For waste to enter air must be able to escape.
But wouldn't it escape back into the bathroom every time you flushed the toilet.
GeorgeandTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:57 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
It sounds like the vent pipe may be protruding into the tank too far. The waste rises in the tank until it blocks the vent pipe. That will not let any more waste into the tank. For waste to enter air must be able to escape.
It is not the vent. It is the waste pipe from the toilet. It is sticking down into the tank too far and is holding waste in the pipe when it gets half full.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:14 PM   #8

Get underneath and measure the tank dimensions and calc the square inches and convert cubic inches to gallons. Then you’ll know for sure what the tank should hold.
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:16 PM   #9

Time for a flex camera down the toilet to see whats going on. Smart phone models can be had for less than 30 dollars all over ebay.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:25 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Camera
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 02-13-2019, 09:07 AM   #11

I despise the gray holding tank size on my rig (basically same as yours). Iím going to try and add some type of leak proof equalizer pipes. Not just using the dump crossover tricks. The problem is accessing everything.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:43 PM   #12

I also think it is one or both the pipes sticking too far into the tank and creating some type of vacuum block. It does burp when it starts to get half full, but then air just cant get out. I've tried to measure down the vent, but there is an angle. Same with toilet. I looked at the tank (didn't measure) and there is no way I'm filling it. A camera is a great idea. Was hoping the dealership would do that. Also hoping they will pick up the cost, or most of it.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:47 PM   #13

Agree, bigger tanks would be better, but this model totally checks most our boxes for size and design. I have exactly 3 inches to spare in my driveway. We refuse to store our rv somewhere else.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:53 PM   #14

Keep the thoughts and ideas coming. I've tried so many things other than camera, and taking out the toilet. I'm not new to RVing, just never had this problem before. I'll definitely post when the problem is solved. Thanks.

Tags
black tank, tank