RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2007, 04:31 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Has anyone had any problems with a hesitation before the water pump kicks on when you turn on a water fawcett or flush toilet, etc?

Ours doesn't always do it, but most of the time it does. When turning on the water at a sink, toilet, shower, etc. most of the time you won't get any water and after about 5 or so seconds the pump kicks on and then you get water. In past RV's the water pump always kicked on fairly quickly.

I had the pump replaced with a new one and I get the same thing. I've checked all the things that could prevent this including calling Shurflo and they gave me a few things to check which I've done.

Nothing seems to make any difference. I'm hoping someone with the same setup as me (2004 Pace Arrow model 36B) might have had the same problem. It almost seems like a design issue of the plumbing system.

Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2007, 04:31 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Has anyone had any problems with a hesitation before the water pump kicks on when you turn on a water fawcett or flush toilet, etc?

Ours doesn't always do it, but most of the time it does. When turning on the water at a sink, toilet, shower, etc. most of the time you won't get any water and after about 5 or so seconds the pump kicks on and then you get water. In past RV's the water pump always kicked on fairly quickly.

I had the pump replaced with a new one and I get the same thing. I've checked all the things that could prevent this including calling Shurflo and they gave me a few things to check which I've done.

Nothing seems to make any difference. I'm hoping someone with the same setup as me (2004 Pace Arrow model 36B) might have had the same problem. It almost seems like a design issue of the plumbing system.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:58 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Obviously the pressure switch is not sensing the water pressure drop that occurs when a tap is opened. It's the pressure drop that triggers the pump to come on. Either the switch is defective (it's built into the pump in most systems, but a few have separate pressure switches) or there is some blockage in the plumbing that is keeping the pressure high near the sensor, so that the pump is slow to detect the pressure drop. A kink in a water line could do that, for example.

Do all water faucets do this or just the bath area ones? If only in one area, I would suspect a clog or kink in a line feeding that area. If galley as well as bath area, then I would look nearer the pump.

Since the pump has been replaced, I think a defective pressure switch can be ruled out.

I just had another thought: have you checked the voltage at the pump? Low voltage could make it act as though the pump hadn't started, but in fact it would be just slow to get up to speed. Could it be that sometimes you have low voltage and sometimes not?
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:16 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
What you suggested regarding the pressure switch is why I replaced the pump. I thought the same thing.

All of the faucets including the toilet do the same thing. I too suspected a kinked line but haven't been able to find any.

It's funny but it seems to work fine the first couple of uses after I've had the city water hooked up and then switch to the on board water pump.

Thanks for the suggestions Gary. I did send an email to ShurFlo and one of their service reps is trying to help me out. They at least are showing an interest and have asked for more information.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:54 AM   #5

Bob, this is a long shot, but easy to try.

Go to your utility bay and cycle the city water/onboard water valve a couple of times. We once must of had debris in this valve and it caused similar (but somewhat different) problems.

Best of luck.