Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2015, 05:50 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
5 Star coming today!!

Well, after much thought and 20,000 miles of some very rude downshifting while crossing this great country of ours, I ordered my 5 star tune. Im excited as fed ex says it will be here sometime this morning. I'm holding my breath due to the ice storm that hit here yesterday in northern Illinois. As usuall the ice and snow could'nt hold out a couple more days until we left for warmer southern climates. Oh well, I will simply get an undercarraige wash on the way south. Bugs me though as the coach has never seen salt and looks absolutely new underneath.

Anyway, after installing the new tune, I will give you all a report on our trip to southern Georgia. I'm hoping for greatly improved shift points and a bit more power to get up and over the Mont Eagle pass. Leaving tomorrow afternoon and should be able to report something by Friday. Now I just have to figure out a way to get all the ice off our slide out awnings so we can leave on schedule!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2015, 07:50 AM   #2

Mojo
I had the 5 Star on my 2014 35K I'm sure you'll like it. I'ld like you to look at this thread I am posting a link to. Somewhere in the middle there is a list of PCM's that need an update. Just want you know about it in case your PCM is effected. Don't ask how I know but make sure the coach is off the leveling jacks when you install the new tune.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/5-sta...st-252328.html
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:13 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well it came yesterday and install was a breeze. It did come with a note saying to have the Jacks retracted. Not sure why but I followed the instructions. Thanks for the tip. I had already read about the updates and my code is one of them.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:56 PM   #4

I'm anxious to see how it works for you. I have a 2014 35K that I am considering adding the 5-Star to.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:34 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Happy New Year mojo, hope to hear good results with the 5star. Our Bounder does fine and it really does improve overall performance.
Old 01-01-2016, 08:45 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok, I cannot believe the improvement! I ordered the 5 star thinking that it might do a little bit to improve performance but I would most likely be disappointed. That statement couldn't be further from the truth! Probably one of the best products I have ever bought in my life. It's like I bought a different motorhome! Right away even when pulling out of the driveway I could feel the difference. I was pulling my 20 foot enclosed trailer that probably weighs in the area of 6000 pounds and the motorhome accelerated solidly and the shift points were much firmer and at a better rpm level. Acceleration was nothing short of fantastic. Once I got out on the highway it just got better, I set the cruise at 65 and hope for the best. To my surprise when hitting overpasses and bridges that would normally cause the transmission to send the engine screaming into the upper end of the rpm range, the engine just stayed in gear and climb the hills like nothing. Our trip was from Northern Illinois to Pell City Alabama and the hills through Tennessee and Kentucky we're not an issue. I just couldn't be happier. It made my driving much less stressful as I didn't have to worry about what was half a mile down the road while having to mess with the accelerator, cruise control as well as building speed to get up a hill that was quickly approaching. It allows you to sit back and just drive. Thank you again five star for a wonderful product! If any of you have specific questions please feel free to ask as there's so much more I can say about it.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:21 AM   #7

There are three devices to choose from, which one did you purchase?
Old 01-02-2016, 07:45 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just the basic sct tuner device. I think it's called x4 but don't quote me. There is a group buy price on it of 429.00 I think.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:50 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep just checked. X4. MSRP OF 499.00 I got it for 429.00. Just mention this website.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:53 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Once you download the new tune, I don't really see a reason to keep the tuner hooked up. It does display some info like engine temp but really not needed. I have enough stuff suction cupped to my side window like my tire pressure monitor and cell phone. They do 9ffer another tuner that displays more info but again on a gas coach I didn't see the need.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:07 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have passively seen threads concerning 5 Star Tuning. Is there somewhere I can get a basic explanation of the exact process ?

Thanks

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can go to their website, Custom Dynomemeter Chassis Tuning Products and Services - 5 Star Tuning and they should tell you the basics. What the company does is basically write a computer program (or change the stock program from the manufacturer, in this case Ford) that changes the perameters the different systems operate within. For instance, the vehicles computer controls how much fuel and air the engine gets at different times, it controls when the transmission shifts, it controls the timing of the engine and on and on. 5 star basically re writes the program to optimize what the factory did. The end result is an engine that in most cases produces more horsepower, more torque, shifts better and at different rpm's and to a lesser degree may get better fuel economy. What 5 star sends you is a handheld device that contains their computer program. When you plug the device into your engines diagnostic port, the device removes the factory program and installs the 5 star program. Similar to the way your home computer may update a program. The handheld device stores your stock program as well so the vehicle can be returned to stocl form at any time. Trust me, if you have experienced the typical crazy downshifting most fords have as well as the inability to use your cruise control without the engine downshifting and the fear of your engine coming through the doghouse, this upgrade is for you. Hope this simplified explanation helped.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:47 PM   #13

Did you see any improvement in the mileage? i have a 2002 Pace Arrow with the F53 Ford Chassis with the V10.
rpracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:27 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpracing View Post
Did you see any improvement in the mileage? i have a 2002 Pace Arrow with the F53 Ford Chassis with the V10.
I have the 5 star on my 2016 Bounder 5 speed as well. I may have seen 0.5MPG but MPG depend on so many other factors than just the 5 star tuner. The improvements MoJo mentioned are all the reason I bought mine and I agree completely with his assessment. Easy install, nice monitoring platform, great performance of the engine and shifting points. Good use of the torque converter. Well worth the dollars spent.
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote