RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2014, 08:51 PM   #1

8.3 Overheating

On my 92 eagle, I have overheating issues. Everything is fine until I start pulling a long hill. I went to Prescott AZ. last week and most of the 5%- 7% hills my temp went up to 210 and even to the next mark which I guess would be 220. It does cool down going down the other side but I don,t think it should be getting that hot. I always shift down to keep the R's up for better cooling and the EGT's never get above 850. I have yet to pull the radiator, that is the first place I,m headed. That many years the radiator could have real plugging problems. Any one else have this issue. I have heard that they did have some heating problem and some of the owners installed water sprays to help keep them cooled down on the long hills.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE Gary View Post
On my 92 eagle, I have overheating issues. Everything is fine until I start pulling a long hill. I went to Prescott AZ. last week and most of the 5%- 7% hills my temp went up to 210 and even to the next mark which I guess would be 220. It does cool down going down the other side but I don,t think it should be getting that hot. I always shift down to keep the R's up for better cooling and the EGT's never get above 850. I have yet to pull the radiator, that is the first place I,m headed. That many years the radiator could have real plugging problems. Any one else have this issue. I have heard that they did have some heating problem and some of the owners installed water sprays to help keep them cooled down on the long hills.
your pulling a 7% grade and your EGT is only 850??

racersedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
My Dream has a hydraulic motor that drives the fan. I wonder if it is not the radiator but the fan is not running to blow air through the radiator. I do not know how to check this out.

The Dream runs cool no mater what I do, I've pulled a 28 foot trailer loaded in 90 degree weather for hours and it is still on the cool side.

If you find a why to get the fan to run to test it I would be interested in how that is done.
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
My Dream has a hydraulic motor that drives the fan. I wonder if it is not the radiator but the fan is not running to blow air through the radiator. I do not know how to check this out.

The Dream runs cool no mater what I do, I've pulled a 28 foot trailer loaded in 90 degree weather for hours and it is still on the cool side.

If you find a why to get the fan to run to test it I would be interested in how that is done.

if you disconnect the harness at the fan controller the fan will run full bore
but there is no way a guy can pull a 7% grade foot stuck in the throttle and only see 850EGT
Old 07-10-2014, 04:55 AM   #5

The 1992 has an all mechanical Fan driven by hydraulics only. Either it works or it doesn't.-Check your fluid level and service if necessary.
I clean my Radiator and CAC thoroughly every year by soaking it with Simple Green and washing them down with light pressure, you'll be surprised at the amount of dirt washing out.
210 is ok but 220 is on the high side for long periods of time.
Mine goes to 205 to 210 on a long 6% grade and in the summer I do use a Radiator Mister which consumes 2 gal of water in 15 min or so. Keeps my temps in a manageable range of 200 deg while climbing (Asheville NC)-MT Eagle TN)- Jellico TN, all good long uphill grades. That's pulling my 10,000 lb Trailer.

Suggestions: Check your Coolant I use Final Charge not the green
Your EGT's are on the low side while loading the engine- check your gauge
Wash out your Rad and CAC
May want to install a Mister system- look at Haydens Part #100
One more: turn your dash air off while climbing.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:59 AM   #6

Most All side cooling units are hydraulic driven mechanical fans and all have a fan control of some sort.
so yes there is a fan control there somewhere
I don't believe the fan simply runs at full speed as soon as you start the engine and stays there till you shut her down
Old 07-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #7
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by racersedge View Post
if you disconnect the harness at the fan controller the fan will run full bore
but there is no way a guy can pull a 7% grade foot stuck in the throttle and only see 850EGT

Where is the fan controller
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Where is the fan controller

its right at the fan drive motor. here is a link for a picture and a price
there really come down inprice

Sauer Danfoss FAN Speed Control Valve AND Solenoid P N 1090348 NEW | eBay
Old 07-10-2014, 08:11 AM   #9

The way Fleetwood explained it to me is the fan speed is controlled by hydraulic pressure which is controlled by the speed of the pump so at idle the fan runs at idle speed (slower) and as rpm's climb so does fan speed.
An easy test is to open your rear compartment door exposing the fuel pump and throttle linkage, idle the engine and you'll feel air from where you are at the throttle linkage, throttle it up and you'll hear and feel the fan rpm increase.
Later models have an electric 2 speed fan controller censored by coolant temperature.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #10

Yes that is a fan controller used on the later models not the early Eagles.
That controller can be unplugged so the fan runs faster all the time, so I've been told.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Yes that is a fan controller used on the later models not the early Eagles.
That controller can be unplugged so the fan runs faster all the time, so I've been told.
yes I already explained that above but not familiar with 1992 diesel fan configurations but there will some sort of hyd fan control,u cant tell me it just runs wide open from start to finish
on Edit I see your reply about fluid pumped verses engine RPM
Old 07-10-2014, 08:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by racersedge View Post
yes I already explained that above but not familiar with 1992 diesel fan configurations but there will some sort of hyd fan control,u cant tell me it just runs wide open from start to finish
on Edit I see your reply about fluid pumped verses engine RPM
No I'm not saying that the fan runs wide open all the time. there are other components in the system that control the fan speed at idle and through the rpm range. There is also a mechanical proportioning Valve that controls the fluid flow at a certain GPM to increase the fan speed along with increased engine rpm.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
No I'm not saying that the fan runs wide open all the time. there are other components in the system that control the fan speed at idle and through the rpm range. There is also a mechanical proportioning Valve that controls the fluid flow at a certain GPM to increase the fan speed along with increased engine rpm.
yes I read that in your last post.The ajustable MPV is also on the newer electric control unit models
what "other components" in the 92 system then also control fan speed?
Old 07-10-2014, 08:44 AM   #14

My understanding is that the Power Steering pump needs most of the GPM's to control the steering - something like 4.5 GPM, the balance of flow goes directly to the fan to control the fan speed based on engine rpm. I service my filter and check the fan bearings every year, no runs, leaks, 190,000 miles.

Tags
heating