Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
83 Pace Arrow 454 alternator and water pump belt problem solutions

OK, I know this is a loaded question and I am almost positive I will regret asking but I need to dial it down to make a decision to allow me to move forward.

Understand I can only throw money at it one more time and if that fails so do I an the total project will be a a total lost and I will never trust it enough to take it out again.

Also please understand that I am now not a mechanic and it will never be one so I will alway be force to take it to someone who is.

What repair would the most of you recommend that will solve this problem once and for all, the many posts.

If this next final repair fails it will either become a guest room or will be sold at a major lost, and I can not afford either.

So I am really up against a rock and a hard spot.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
So what is the question? How to replace a water pump belt?

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
No as many time as I have had to do that so far I go that down I need to find a firm solution to keep the belt from either breaking and or being thrown, it has happen every tie I have taken the motorhome out and I have never gotten more than 30 miles

I should have posted all links to all of the past threads but I didn't want to confuse the issue so started a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
So what is the question? How to replace a water pump belt?

ken
Old 08-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Your mechanic is going to have to go old school and get to the root of the problem. Check all pulleys and components. Make sure that your harmonic balancer is not loose on the crankshaft. Time to think out of the box.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Can you remove the doghouse cover then start the engine and observe the belts and pulleys? Next run the RPMs up to about 1500-2000 and watch the alt belt to see if its flopping around or travelling side to side.
Some possible causes: A loose pulley on the harmonic balancer, elongated mounting holes or damaged pulley.
The water pump is easy to check with the engine off. Grab the top of a fan blade an attempt to move it front to back. Too much play will mean either the fan clutch is wearing out, the fan is loose on the water pump or the water pump bearing is bad..............usually if the water pump bearing is bad the excessive play will knock the seal out rather quickly.
I would hesitate to throw parts at it without first observing the belt and pulleys at highway RPMs.
You have a strange problem and too many techs would rather throw parts at it and collect book time on labor then troubleshoot it properly.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Hi Kartvines,

I agree with Goldwinger2 and hope that your mechanic is a good one.
With the belt off, and you under the front of the engine, feel all of the pulleys for tightness and roundness and ease of turning. If you can't turn
a pulley, the bearings are worn or shot. If upon turning the alternator or air conditioner compressor you find them being loose or hard to turn then you have a problem with them. Make sure the pulleys are bolted on firmly and replace any pulleys, alternator or a/c compressor that are in question.
Something is not turning correctly when the belt is on and throws the belt off or destroys it.
If you have two belts, be careful to diagram their positioning on the pulleys and make sure you have the correct belt in length and groove size.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartvines View Post
OK, I know this is a loaded question and I am almost positive I will regret asking but I need to dial it down to make a decision to allow me to move forward.

Understand I can only throw money at it one more time and if that fails so do I an the total project will be a a total lost and I will never trust it enough to take it out again.

Also please understand that I am now not a mechanic and it will never be one so I will alway be force to take it to someone who is.

What repair would the most of you recommend that will solve this problem once and for all, the many posts.

If this next final repair fails it will either become a guest room or will be sold at a major lost, and I can not afford either.

So I am really up against a rock and a hard spot.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you as far as if my mechanic is a good one, well that is hard to say I have never had to have hi doing anything major for me , and this will be his very first test I guess.

I will try and do what you recommendation and nothing else share that with him, I appreciate your feed back.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #8

Is the correct belt(s) being used?
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:27 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Who really know, according to NAPA it is the correct belt, I had one in the RV from the PO and it looked longer so that cannot be correct, There is no where to go that I have been able to find that will provide you with a unquestinonable belt type and number belt for this RV engine, I wish there was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhauler View Post
Is the correct belt(s) being used?
Old 08-14-2011, 08:56 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had an 83 Southwind and if I remember correctly the drive belt for the alt went around the water pump/alternator/and harmonic ballancer pulley and that is it. check those pulleys for wear/bent and alignment. I have found that some mechanics get lazy when replacing some items and fail to install alignment spacers and bushings. Alternator mounted at an angle will throw a belt real quick.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
That is correct, not sure when the water pump and or alternator had ever been replaced so I have not information on that, the last work I have documented was when the new engine was installed.

So I guess that will generates another question, When a new engine transmission is installed and I have both do they use all new parts or do they pull the water pump and alternator from the engine that was being replaced?

When I think new engine I think new everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topflite51 View Post
I had an 83 Southwind and if I remember correctly the drive belt for the alt went around the water pump/alternator/and harmonic ballancer pulley and that is it. check those pulleys for wear/bent and alignment. I have found that some mechanics get lazy when replacing some items and fail to install alignment spacers and bushings. Alternator mounted at an angle will throw a belt real quick.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:29 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartvines View Post
When I think new engine I think new everything.
Depends on the total cost of the job. Dist., carb, fuel pump, waterpump, etc. can be reused if the customer does not want to pay the premium price to have everything changed. When I do an engine job a new waterpump is a must unless I can verify the age of the one on the vehicle.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had a 83 MH with a 454 and it started to go through alternator belts within 1,000 miles. I carried spares with me to put on.

I happen to remember, that on a earlier trip the emissions Air pump froze up and was taken off. The mechanic had to get a different length belt to put on.

Found out he had put a belt on that wasn't wide enough for the grooves.
After I got the right size belt I had no more problems.

Thus a few posters earlier ask you about the belt size & groove.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:03 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Hope your issue is solved. I just happened to see your post. If not, this may sound too simple. It was mentioned in earlier post but may not have been stressed enough. I am a newbee and own an 1994 Itasca with a 454 chev engine. Shortly after I purchased it I noticed the AC was not working at all. I bought it at an auction on a whem. I was doing a once over/under and something just did not look right on the belt alignments. It appeared that they were fairly new belts. The AC high pressure hose had a hole rubbed in it where the belt was running. This really puzzled me because none of the brackets looked like they had been replaced. But the belts didn't quite line up. I just happened to come across a mechanic that was replacing the water pump on a 454 chevy that was the same yr as my coach. He advised me on the correct placement for each belt. To an untrained mechanic, common sense tells you that they should be installed one way which was not correct. I even had a couple of mechanics take a quick look at mine and they both said something does not look exactly right but did not have the answer. Once the "real" mechanic that was installing the water pump showed me the correct way, it corrected everything.
I can go out tomorrow and get you the correct position of each belt and part numbers if you still need help.
Good luck,
james
94bago is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, water