Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2016, 01:44 PM   #1

92 Diesel Bounder - Turn signal Relay- Help!

I Found multiple similar posts about this but I need some help before taking a trip tomorrow.

Have a 92 Bounder on the Oshkosh XC Chassis. Im having an issue with at first only the right turn signals working. Now the 2 marker/turn signals are staying on non stop and no blinker works as well as no hazards.

The right turn signal worked until I replaced the headlight plug on the Left side and then replaced the top rear marker lights.

Now i have the Chassis manual, which is to say the least not very useful and it says that the blinker relay is and I quote "taped" to the wiring harness under the flip up dash. I CANNOT for the life of me find this thing. I have traced every inch of rats nest and only see the Relay connected to the fuse box that i tried switching out with no change.

Now it does seem like partially a grounding issue and I do have a few more marker lights to switch out, but does anyone have a wiring diagram or a better way to find the relay?
wrex04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2016, 06:23 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
If the flasher is working at all, your ears are your best way of finding it, or them. The 4 way 'emergency' flasher might be a different flasher unit than the turn signal. If you have two, they are often close to each other.

You might start by using some jumper wires with alligator clips to reinforce some of your grounds. It does sound like some bad ground connections could be the reason why the flasher isn't behaving.

If a couple of lights in the turn signal aren't grounded, by temporarily adding a couple of bulbs into the circuit might draw enough current to make the blinker 'click' so you can find it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:13 PM   #3

Thanks for the Reply. So to kind of give an idea of the headache im working with.. 92 bounder, sat for 8 years untouched and before that I think it was having issues with wiring or the owners wiring - most likely the latter more.

Every time I touch a wire it is either rusted/corroded, falling apart or spliced off in a weird direction. After some infuriating searching I found no relay. What I did find is what appears to be 2 male jumper type connections underneath the hazard flasher which is supposed to be separate. Still unclear on how that can work but after some ground cleaning or repositioning i have ALL exterior lights blinking. If its left blinker they are brighter but the other side will be blinking and vice versa if you switch.

Other interesting thing is if I turn on my running/marker lights and or headlights I will not get any blinking of any kind.

Im really stumped.. only possible thought is still something grounding out and or pssible the Hazard switch is bad? cause it acts like the hazards ar flashing but its every single exterior light and even my instrument lights flash.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:25 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Check the wiring of the trailer hook up. Perhaps the wiring to that has been 'adjusted.' You might start by removing each wire from the female plug, see if when all the wires are off, do the turn signals and running lights work properly. It's just a start.

Make sure you take a photo and mark each wire you remove so you can put them back where you started if it doesn't improve things.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:24 AM   #5

Thanks, I will take a look at the trailer wiring as well. I leave in about 6 hrs so my last option is literally going to be totally wiring in new wires front to back each side with a flasher relay and an individual switch for both sides so that i can flip a switch for turn signals. then when i get back i will keep going through the rats nest of wiring... speaking of rats there was a lot of mouse evidence so who knows if they chewed wires in areas as well.

Joys of owning a 24 yr old Class A I guess.

Tags
bounder, diesel