Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2016, 01:13 AM   #1

94 Southwind coach 12v Converter/Capacitor Conundrum

Hi Folks,
I'm in the middle of my solar and new converter install and have a bit of a head scratcher.
Fleetwood very kindly sent me all the wiring diagrams they have for my 94 Southwind and it shows a 50,000 mfd Capacitor attached to the two terminal blocks/studs that tie in the fuse panel to the converter and then of to the BCC.
I've searched high and low and cannot find said Capacitor anywhere. The faulty converter I removed looks to be original equipment so I'm at a loss as to where this mystery capacitor is........or isn't or at least where it should be.
Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
kennyrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2016, 01:00 PM   #2

Don't know where the capacitor is but it was used to take the ripple out of the DC line, that was created by the old converter. As I see it, the capacitor is not a issue and may be a positive. I would leave it in place.

Richard
House Husband is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:23 PM   #3

Forget about any capacitor. Get a newer converter, e.g. Progressive Dynamics and your good to go.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 04:17 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
Forget about any capacitor. Get a newer converter, e.g. Progressive Dynamics and your good to go.
Agree.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:18 PM   #5

Hi Guys,
I've fitted a new converter but for some reason the fan is running constantly. My friend has the same one in his Winnie and the fan does'nt run. I got an exchange thinking mine was faulty and the fan runs on the new one as well.
We can only think that if the capacitor is still in place it could be back feeding the converter.
The only thing is, according to the wiring diagram I got from Fleetwood, it ain't were it's supposed to be and although I've looked i can't find it.
I was hoping that someone who had a similar Fleetwood coach might have the capacitor still in place and know of it's whereabouts.
Although the new converter works fine and charges the batteries a treat the constant fan noise is a nuisance at night as you can imagine.
My other concern is I'm about to start my solar install and I'm worried i might back feed the solar charge controller.....if indeed that is what is happening.

Thanks again guys.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:10 PM   #6

Can you please give us a make/model of this "new converter". We cant help if we dont know what converter you installed.
Find it hard to believe this capacitor would turn off a cooling fan on a converter.

Thanks
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:02 AM   #7

Hi mchero,
Well you'd be right there as when I turn the coach batteries on it's actually turning the converter fan "on" not "off".
The make and model of the converter is a moot point for the purposes of my thread, I'm trying to ascertain if a previous owner removed the capacitor or if i'm looking for it in the wrong places.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:55 AM   #8

Does the fan start the second you turn the converter on ?

Low or shorted batteries will cause the converter to run at max output, causing it to run hot. That will cause the fan to run after being on a few minutes.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:14 AM   #9

Hi twinboat,
Yes, the moment I turn on the batteries at the master switch the fan starts up.
The batteries are less than 6 months old and they have good charge, never seen them less than 12.3 volts.

The only thing i can figure is it's something in the BCC or the mystery cap is still in place in an even bigger mystery location.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:24 AM   #10

What kind of output voltage are you getting when the converter is on ?

The fan is temp controlled, inside the converter. Not sure how a capacitor or anything downstream can effect that.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:45 AM   #11

Sorry for the late reply, that's the time difference for ya.
The output voltage varies depending on the state of the batteries. It's sat at 12.35 volts at the moment but I've seen it up 13.6.
She's been parked at storage for 6 weeks or so now with the batteries off. I'm there a couple of days a week and the batteries have been steady at 12.3 ish in all that time.

Cheers.
Old 10-17-2016, 05:28 AM   #12

I think your batteries are low and causing the converter to work pretty hard charging them up. That could be why the fan is running.

A charged battery sits at 12.6 volts or so. While charging, it should go as high as 14.2, before it cuts back to 13.6, a float charge.

If you can, leave the converter on for 24 hours. After a good charge, the fan may shut down.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:27 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I think your batteries are low and causing the converter to work pretty hard charging them up. That could be why the fan is running.

A charged battery sits at 12.6 volts or so. While charging, it should go as high as 14.2, before it cuts back to 13.6, a float charge.

If you can, leave the converter on for 24 hours. After a good charge, the fan may shut down.

I agree!
Old 10-17-2016, 11:53 AM   #14

Hi guys,
I don't think it's that although It did cross my mind.
We've had a few trips away the old girl now and with topped up batteries after a 4 hour journey it's the same....The batteries can be at 13.5 volts but she's still whizzin' around.
comes to mind lol.

If I could find a way yo host a PDF I'd post up the diagrams I got from Fleetwood.

Tags
converter, southwind