Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2014, 07:42 PM   #1

94 Southwind House Batteries. Begging for help :(

I am totally new to RV ownership. We bought a really beautiful Fleetwood Southwind. The house batteries were running very low. I went and bought new house batteries. I installed them backwards for about 30 seconds or so. (who knew that everything painted red was not positive) I fixed the error. Now I have no house battery power.

This is what i know:

The 12v lights and everything work when the AC is plugged in or if the engine is running.

When the engine is running or the AC is plugged in I have 12+ volts across the two batteries. If the engine is off or AC is disconnected I have no voltage across the batteries.

The aux battery disconnect switch above the door makes the dsiconnect in the battery center click.

Is the circuit board fried?

Anyone experience this problem before?

The kids keep begging me to take them someplace camping, even though its February, but I don't want to have to run the generator all night to keep the furnace running.

Please help.

Thank you so much

Aaron
apacheco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2014, 07:54 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to IRV

We are new here also. But feel sure you will find all the help you need.

Bob and Sharon
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You may have a problem with your inverter. Make sure the breakers for the iverter are not tripped.

Oh BTW

TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:32 PM   #4

If you mean the converter under the refrigerator I checked all the fuses and the breakers everything was on.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:36 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Disconnect the cables and check the voltage across each battery. Good possibility you changed the polarity of one or more. It's rare to see, but it does happen. If The polarity has changed you will see it as a negative voltage on your multimeter with the positive lead going to positive terminal and common going to the ground post.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:56 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Wow. Welcome to the forum but sorry for your troubles.

I'm going to let our experts help you out here. Hopefully it's not something too serious but these are the types of mistakes we all (hopefully) only make once.

I'm sure you'll have a lot of suggestions soon but it will help if you share the year and model of your Southwind, you battery configuration (how many house and how many chassis?), what type of batteries did you replace your old ones with?

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:59 PM   #7

Nex, check the lines to your switch and see if they have some type of automatic reset breaker in them that is switching every time you turn it on. If not then check to the circuit board. Remember electricity is like water. Must hav a conduit to flow through so keep checking til you find where it sops.
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:09 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There are two DC circuit breakers in your BCC (battery control center) that are probably tripped. Here is what they look like. You need to reset the little black plungers in the base of the breaker.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:15 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've answered this question in each of the other two forums you posted in. You need to check those two DC circuit breakers in the BCC (where the disconnect solenoids are) Here is what they look like.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:43 PM   #10

the breakers were the first thing that I checked. they were both popped so I reset them and nothing.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:29 AM   #11

Aaron,

1st: please post a picture of your battery setup. Make sure it's clear enough so we can see exactly how the 2 batteries are hooked up to each other.

2nd: please post a picture of your battery control center with the cover off.

3rd: there is also a large fuse inline from the disconnect solenoid in the battery control center to the 12vdc fuse panel.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:49 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I've merged the duplicate threads you've begun on this topic since our rules don't allow for duplicate posting.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:10 AM   #13

Thank you for merging the threads I didn't know that I posted it twice. Any idea of the location of the fuse. I can check tonight when I get back to the house. Would this be on an older model also.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:59 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Aaron,

1st: please post a picture of your battery setup. Make sure it's clear enough so we can see exactly how the 2 batteries are hooked up to each other.

2nd: please post a picture of your battery control center with the cover off.

3rd: there is also a large fuse inline from the disconnect solenoid in the battery control center to the 12vdc fuse panel.
The DC breakers that he checked (and reset) in the BCC are there in stead of a "large fuse" that may be used by other rigs.

Tags
batteries, battery, house batteries, southwind