RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2018, 05:32 PM   #1

97 Bounder on Ford F53 Electrical Problem

I have a 97 Bounder on the Ford F53 chassis. My problem is that when I am hooked to shore power everything works fine. But when I disconnect and am driving the electrical outlets don't work. They work fine as long as I am plugged into shore power, but nothing at all when I disconnect. I have replaced the motherboard in the Battery Control Center because it looked to have a burned spot on it and a blown capacitor, but that didn't solve the problem. House batteries are fully charged. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hockeyniner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2018, 05:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyniner View Post
I have a 97 Bounder on the Ford F53 chassis. My problem is that when I am hooked to shore power everything works fine. But when I disconnect and am driving the electrical outlets don't work. They work fine as long as I am plugged into shore power, but nothing at all when I disconnect. I have replaced the motherboard in the Battery Control Center because it looked to have a burned spot on it and a blown capacitor, but that didn't solve the problem. House batteries are fully charged. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Unless you have a generator or a large inverter, you will not have 120 volt power to your outlets. if you have an inverter, and you found electric problems, is the GFI tripped?

Old 08-13-2018, 05:44 PM   #3

We have had power from the electrical outlets before as we drove down the road. We do have an inverter. I have tested it with the RV plugged in and it is sending 13+ amps so I think it is functioning. I'm not sure how to test it without the shore power hooked up. It's kind of confusing me because the inverter is plugged into an A/C outlet so I don't understand how exactly that works. But I have used the plugs for my phone in the past as we were driving for the GPS app.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
We have had power from the electrical outlets before as we drove down the road. We do have an inverter. I have tested it with the RV plugged in and it is sending 13+ amps so I think it is functioning. I'm not sure how to test it without the shore power hooked up. It's kind of confusing me because the inverter is plugged into an A/C outlet so I don't understand how exactly that works. But I have used the plugs for my phone in the past as we were driving for the GPS app.
The reason why the inverter is plugged into an A/C outlet is because it is feeding your other outlets in the RV.

Make sure inverter is turned on. If its turned off, shore power will still flow through to the other outlets.

Check on the inverter to see if there are any fuses/circuit breakers that need to be reset.

What kind of inverter do you have?
Old 08-13-2018, 06:08 PM   #5

The inverter is a Inteli Power 9000 model PD 9155. There are 2 - 30 amp fuses on the unit and both are good.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:26 PM   #6

If you have an Intelli Power 9145 it is a Converter not a combination unit. It is plugged in to 120 VAC to get power when the unit is on shore power or generator to charge your batteries and supply 12 VDC to your system. Here is the manual:

https://progressivedyn.com/pdfs/109205n%20english.pdf

Unit has a good reputation but is not supplying AC for your coach.

If that is what you found then you need to keep looking or you do not have an Inverter.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:31 PM   #7

So what would be powering the plugs as we go down the road? Would the house batteries be providing power to the plugs? While we were driving we heard what I can only describe as a descending whistle sound that lasted maybe 2 seconds. My wife and I weren’t sure what that sound was and didn’t think anything of it until 30 minutes later when my phone went dead. It was then I realized the plugs weren’t working. Not sure if that sound was related or not.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:39 PM   #8

No idea what the sound was. I only know that if you have the Intelli Power 9145 it does not have an Inverter as part of it. Not too surprising as I think the whole house inverter became more popular after 2000. Not saying none existed before then but they were significantly less common.

If you have an inverter that was powering the plugs it is a separate unit hidden somewhere else. It also is connected to your converter input which can draw up to 4.5 Amps at 120 VAC or 45 @ 12 VDC. That is a significant load on the inverter. That leads me to think that the real issue is that you were mistaken that you have an Inverter. As I said, I don't know so it's time to look some more.

I would be looking at the heavy cables coming off the battery. There should be one for the Converter and a second one for the Inverter if you have one. If you do I expect it is at least a 1000 W unit put in by someone who was not too good at electrical stuff. If he was he would not be feeding the Converter from the Inverter. You would be pushing your batteries pretty hard if you have the two batteries under the step.

If it was my I'd pick up a small inverter that plugs into your dash outlet. That will supply power to your phone charger. Better yet, get a car cord for your phone.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:42 PM   #9

Thinking about it a bit more take a look at how your TV gets power. That may have a dedicated Inverter wired to it's socket. The CRT type TV's drew several amps at 120 VAC. You could tap that for your phone. Those outlets are required to shut off when the vehicle is running so there is a relay box in there also.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:26 PM   #10

Quote:
So what would be powering the plugs as we go down the road? Would the house batteries be providing power to the plugs? While we were driving we heard what I can only describe as a descending whistle sound that lasted maybe 2 seconds. My wife and I weren’t sure what that sound was and didn’t think anything of it until 30 minutes later when my phone went dead. It was then I realized the plugs weren’t working. Not sure if that sound was related or not.
The plugs are 120 volts A/C. batteries are 12 volts DC. A converter changes 120 volts A/C to 12 volts DC. An inverter changes 12 volts DC to 120 volt AC. Without and inverter you will have no 120 volt outlets while driving unless you are running a generator. If you had 120 volts on the outlets going down the road, it was only on a select few and you have an inverter hidden someplace. It can't be hard to find. It has to be accessible and needs to be in a vented area for heat reasons. Check your circuit breakers and find one labeled "inverter" see if it is tripped. Usually, you would have a residential fridge if you have an inverter
The inverter will have a GFI outlet on it. If you find it test and reset the GFI.

Tags
bounder, electric, electrical, f53, ford