RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2019, 02:25 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
99 American Eagle Things to look for?

I am looking at a 99 American Eagle 40EVS with less than 60K miles on the unit. The price is reasonable, and it seems clean. I am traveling 4 hours to look it over in a couple of weeks.

New Tires, Batteries in 2018. Unit has been gone through inspection in 2017 and hits were corrected. Hoses on Refrigerator changed. All filters Air/Oil/Fuel replaced since unit was last used. Generator/ Diesel Oil change performed in 2017 and unit has not been used since those changes were done. Has had a PDI done outside of me, I have access to the report.

Anything else I need to look for in my personal PDI? Would you pay for a professional to do a PDI? Would you pay for an OIL Analysis to be done as part of the purchase conditions? Needs to have a good Oil test or purchase is off?

Thanks

SubVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2019, 05:11 PM   #2

I am a big fan of these Eagles, they are easy coaches to own and operate if they have been well looked after.

Spartan MM chassis is a beast...these Eagles are basically "overbuilt" which is a very good thing.

At 60K this engine and the Allison 3060 are just getting broken in. A fluid analysis of oil, transmission fluid and coolant would be beneficial if they had not been changed and then the unit parked as per your post. Testing essentially unused fluid is not going to tell you much.

Since you have access to a previous PDI, I think the proof in the pudding will be to drive the unit for about an hour or so. She should shift smoothly, track like a lead ball if aligned correctly.

Visually inspect the transmission fluid and invest in some Cummins Filtration Test Strips to test the coolant. You can obtain these at any Cummins facility. Don't buy online as they have a relatively short shelf life.

Visually inspect for any de-lamination (not likely) and closely look at the interior to make sure there have not been any leaks. These Eagles are not prone to this due to their fiberglass roofs but at 20 years of age you want to make sure that the previous owners maintained the roof.

The 98 40EVS models had top shelf appliances. All of ours still work perfectly. The rooftop A/C's are effective and really quiet...those on your prospective buy should be the same.

Check to see if the OEM Source Manager (transfer switch, converter and inverter combo) is still working. Most have been replaced at this point in time....when they are replaced both a new transfer switch and inverter/converter are required. Not a huge deal...depends upon whether you need a pure sine wave inverter or can live with a modified sine wave converter. (Source Manager is a modified wave).

Big issue to many are the ball joints on the Spartan Chassis Independent Front Suspension. Check to see if they have been replaced. These were "lubed for life" ball joints and the rubber boots failed. Most owners did not know how to keep the joints lubed after this happened.

The handling of the coach and tire wear patterns will tell you if the joints are bad or suspect. Any doubt....ask for a reduction in the sales price of $3K.

Check all of the frames around the baggage compartments to make sure their is no corrosion.

If there is significant corrosion on these frames, it would be a show stopper for me.

Good luck!

Old 03-12-2019, 06:04 PM   #3

As posted check front ball joints -- look visually, if boots are toast consider trying to get price reduction. Don't just rely on short drive where you did not hear anything from the front. Get on ground and look.

Look for evidence of wall delamination outside-- I have some in my 2000.

Used RV's of this age, however low mileage, will require some TLC, and the ability of a DIY person.
If you have the ability to do that great.
We will be pleased to have you among our crowd. You can learn a lot here form some experienced people.
If not you should not consider buying an RV 20 plus years old.
No matter how "high end" they were when new -- they are not new now.

Plan to spend 10K-30K once you get it and can really look over shocks/airbags/tires/refrigerator/oli changes/generator service/ lots more(if still the old Norcold you need to do something now)

my humble opinion -- Dale
Dale70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubVet View Post
I am looking at a 99 American Eagle 40EVS with less than 60K miles on the unit. The price is reasonable, and it seems clean. I am traveling 4 hours to look it over in a couple of weeks.

New Tires, Batteries in 2018. Unit has been gone through inspection in 2017 and hits were corrected. Hoses on Refrigerator changed. All filters Air/Oil/Fuel replaced since unit was last used. Generator/ Diesel Oil change performed in 2017 and unit has not been used since those changes were done. Has had a PDI done outside of me, I have access to the report.

Anything else I need to look for in my personal PDI? Would you pay for a professional to do a PDI? Would you pay for an OIL Analysis to be done as part of the purchase conditions? Needs to have a good Oil test or purchase is off?

Thanks
Check if the generator stop when the rv start moving ....
mrwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:42 AM   #5

I bought a 99 American Eagle about a year and a half ago and I am very pleased with it, bought it with 48k on the odometer, it's got about 55k now. It's funny, it was the first coach we looked at but turned it down originally because of age, we were really looking for something ~10 years old. After looking at 10-15 other coaches we decided to go for the 99 Eagle and have had no regrets. Of course it helps if you have some DIY skills. I have replaced most of the electronics; backup camera, TV's and stereo and done a lot of minor maintenance things like rechalking and adjusting door latches, but no major repairs so far. I could go on and on, but I've had a great experience with mine. There are some parks that state they have an RV age limit, but that hasn't been too much of a problem especially if the unit is sitting where they can see it, but just be aware.
steveschlott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:07 PM   #6

It is always important to look for signs of delamination. here is a good place to start.
RV Delamination Repair FAQ's
roady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:11 PM   #7

Check the date codes on the tires even if they are new. They could have been sitting on a shelf for ten years.
Truckerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubVet View Post

Thanks
As per usual, it's all about the money, so if you're convinced that you're getting a good price, then the rest, it seems, you have covered.
In fact, when the price is really good or a steal as many would call it, some things can be overlooked for taking care of, for one's self.
For a PDI, it all depends on your expertise and I'd think an ex sub sailor would be pretty diligent.
Oil analysis isn't a bad idea, but how many do so? I didn't with our last purchase, so I surely don't know.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:16 AM   #9

May I ask about the value of that motorhome?

mrwrench is offline   Reply With Quote