Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2015, 10:06 PM   #1

Unhappy 99 Discovery 37V Electrical problems

I'm a newbie so any help is appreciated. Went to start MH, cranked slower than usual but didn't start. Turned off key but starter cranked until it killed the start batteries. Found my shore line failed overnight. Repaired cord and found the 2 house batteries had frozen. Charged start batteries back up and replaced house batteries.

110v light in bath works, microwave on. No other interior lights, apparently they work off the inverter; no "wait to start" light; unable to turn on jack control panel; no lights on shift panel. Starter does not crank, generator doesn't crank. Stairs retract and the stair light works.
I am currently trying to clean all of the connections around the starter and solenoid, hoping the problem is there. Slow going as its below zero.

Does anyone know where I can find a wiring diagram so I can locate a common point? I have e-mailed Fleetwood to get a schematic but I expect it will take days to get. Figure the solenoid is the starter problem. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
dak605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2015, 05:07 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your dilemma.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:23 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Dak-I recommend calling Fleetwood. You will get a faster response. They will need your "FIN" and the "VIN" both. (I play it safe and have both avail when calling, though maybe they could get away with only the FIN.)

My VIN is on a metal placard by the engine. My FIN is on a sticker inside the RV behind captains chair, and also on another sticker underneath the driver's window outside the RV.

Good luck!
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:02 AM   #4

It sounds like your starter mounted solenoid stuck. That happens when the batteries are low, causing high amps to weld the contacts in it.

The first action is to tap the solenoid with a hammer, to get it to let go.

You say you charged your engine batteries, did you measure the volts, or just turn on a charger. If the solenoid is still stuck, the battery will not charge.

You need to make sure the starter is not trying to crank the engine, before charging the batteries.

Good luck
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:16 AM   #5

we are glad yall joined us. not much more to add then whats been said I do agree with twinboat
Thornhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:37 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
110v light in bath works, microwave on. No other interior lights,
Interior lights are all 12V. Check the 200 AMP fuse on the House battery output.
And the 2 fuses that reset on the Inverter/Charger

Being that cold outside you should have had the engine heater turned on overnight with shore power. Switch is probably in the bedroom
Quote:
Starter does not crank,
Works off the chassis battery
Quote:
Stairs retract and the stair light works
They work off the chassis battery

I had a starter solenoid that is mounted on the frame go bad.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:52 AM   #7

Might want to take a look at that starter and as stated above. Keep that sucker plugged inot the blocke heater if you want to be able to hop in that rig & hit the road at a moments notice. Otherwise, in a pinch you can plug in the block heater for about 3 hours.

A real PITA staring these rigs in the cold w/o a block heater. My CAT is cold blooded and needs at least 3 pre-heat cycles B4 she even thinks about cranking over.

My 93 Pace that I currently have listed in the Classifieds has a Cummins that's MUCH easier to start "stone cold" but if the batteries are not 100% you will have issues.

Keep us posted.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:09 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang here!

WOW! sounds like you've got your hands full! I think others have about covered it!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:35 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:33 PM   #10

Have to keep a VERY close eye on your batteries during freezing weather. My Pace was wintered a number of very cold NH winters NOT plugged in & I have had zero issues (knock on wood). I'd give them a good charging & then disconnect them using the disconnect switches.

Had a couple people want to see that pace in 20 deg. weather. Tried to start the rig but the chassis batteries where on the low side. After sitting on a batter minder for a couple days, I was then able to get her started.

You stated two house batteries froze. How many house batteries in that rig of yours? Make SURE your chassis batteries are charged up real good & put that rig on a block heater overnight & then give her another try. CAT starts like it's 80 deg. out.

RM
Old 02-25-2015, 02:39 PM   #11

I have a 2000 Discovery 37 V and was looking at all the maintenence records the previous owners had kept, ( Looks like every one ) and one issue they had was now power to jacks and lights and other switches on the console electric steps etc. Was fixed and it had several bad batteries which were replaced. Hope you find you problem. Take care.
mrkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:10 PM   #12

I found some bad connections on the house batteries. When the Converter tried to bulk charge the batteries one of the terminals was too hot to touch. Sutdown everything & removed/cleaned/replaced batteries & made up two new cables. All back to normal. Not sure the condtiton/age of the batteries.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:35 AM   #13

Thanks for everyone's help so far. This is very confusing. I replaced the two 6V house batteries because they split when they froze. I charged the 2 12V batteries for about a week after the starter ran them dead. They had about 14V when I reinstalled them. My steps work as does the radio, windshield wipers, rear view camera etc. The starter does nothing when I turn the key (unlike when it originally ran the batteries down even after I turned the key off). I can get the starter to crank by shorting the two terminals with a screwdriver (I think that eliminates the solenoid and starter?). I still have no "wait to start" light when I turn on the ignition. I think that problem could be the key to the problem. I find no such info on the schematics I got from Fleetwood. Does the coach have to be running for the shift panel and jack control panel to light up? When I turn the key I can see a momentary round light on the jack panel but it goes out. Everything in the coach seems to work (refrig, furnace, lights, etc). The gen cranks but I didn't crank it long enough to start because it is still -20 and I didn't want to drain the batteries. The Aux start does NOTHING as well. This is the first time there was a problem starting in the winter. I start the coach every month and it only required 1-2 cranks before it would run. Thanks again for your insights, greatly appreciated.
dak605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:51 AM   #14

Have you pulled/tested every fuse you can find? Also hear that some relays that are responsible for the dash lights & such will fail. People will swap like relays & try again. Keep searching thru no start searches. Lots of info but you have to run across the same issue your having.

Tags
electrical